Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

USB drivers for HP dv7-6163cl

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 hrolsons

hrolsons

• Members
  • 230 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:18 PM

Posted 31 July 2017 - 01:33 PM

So I had to install a fresh brand new empty hard drive on my laptop.  It does not recognize anything, so I'm trying to install some drivers.  Specifically the WiFi driver so that I can run an HP utility that should update all drivers.  I've also tried to download some USB drivers, because none of the USB ports are working.

I tried to install the drivers from the HP website and nothing is still working.  It looks like other non-HP websites are selling drivers for my laptop, but it doesn't seem like I'd need to pay for these and I'm also concerned about viruses from these non-HP companies.

Can you point me in the right direction?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,602 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:18 PM

Posted 31 July 2017 - 02:09 PM

Laptop drivers should be downloaded ONLY from the website of the manufacturer of the laptop (HP, in this case).

• Please define "fresh install" (EXACTLY what did you do?)
  • What do you mean "It does not recognize anything"?
  • If you've installed Windows, download and install all drivers from the HP website starting with the chipset driver

#3 hrolsons

hrolsons
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 230 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2017 - 03:14 PM

Laptop drivers should be downloaded ONLY from the website of the manufacturer of the laptop (HP, in this case).

• Please define "fresh install" (EXACTLY what did you do?)
  • What do you mean "It does not recognize anything"?
  • If you've installed Windows, download and install all drivers from the HP website starting with the chipset driver

I purchased a new hard drive and installed Windows 7.  It does not recognize the internal WiFi card or any of the USB ports.  I installed the Intel chipset drivers from HP and it made no difference to the WiFi or USB problems.

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,602 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2017 - 04:10 PM

What is the model of your laptop?

#5 hrolsons

hrolsons
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 230 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2017 - 12:49 PM

I'm so sorry for the delay.  I've been without a working computer.

It is a HP Pavillion DV7-6163CL

#6 HyperHenry

HyperHenry

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2017 - 01:20 PM

You should find you drivers here. https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-pavilion-dv7-6100-entertainment-notebook-pc-series/5082216/model/5173108. If you would have told us what OS you have I could have narrowed it down a bit. You should download whatever is available.

Edited by HyperHenry, 10 August 2017 - 01:21 PM.

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,023 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2017 - 01:50 PM

Windows 7 install media has native USB drivers except USB 3.0. Your USB ports should function after a clean install of Windows 7. I would start by downloading and installing the chipset drivers.

#8 hrolsons

hrolsons
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 230 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2017 - 03:01 PM

I installed all of the updated drivers listed on HP for my machine and it made no difference.

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,023 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2017 - 03:32 PM

Do you at least have Wifi after the drive installs? Try a powercycle. Remove the power and battery if easily accessible. Hold the power button down for 30 seconds. Replace the power and battery. I can't imagine this being a Windows only problem. It may be just a coincidence. You could boot a live linux disk and attach a USB flash drive to see if it gets detected. 

Are there currently any yellow exclamation marks in Device Manager?

Edit: See this HP support article on USB issues in Windows 7

https://support.hp.com/sg-en/document/c01893385#AbT2

Edit Edit: You should have a yellow exclamation mark if you did not install the driver for your USB 3.0 controller.

Edited by JohnC_21, 10 August 2017 - 03:41 PM.

#10 HyperHenry

HyperHenry

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2017 - 03:35 PM

This will take a little effort but might pay off. Please move the drivers you downloaded to a CD or DVD disk. The go to control panel and open device manager. For each device you need to install drivers for right click and then Update Drivers. Then click browse my computer, next click Let Me Pick From A List Of Devices On My Computer. Then you can browse to you CD ROM and install it from there.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users