Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Question on dual lan?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 ingeborgdot

ingeborgdot

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:29 AM

Posted 31 July 2017 - 12:30 PM

I have not purchased a motherboard with dual lan before but was wondering how it actually works.   Can I assign one lan to go to the internet and the other one to go to our local network?  I have that now with some of my computers but we actually just ordered an add on nic and did it that way.  The board I'm talking about is the GIGABYTE GA-AX370-GAMING 5.  Thanks.

Edited by hamluis, 01 August 2017 - 03:58 PM.
Moved from System Building to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,364 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:29 AM

Posted 31 July 2017 - 01:03 PM

I have not purchased a motherboard with dual lan before but was wondering how it actually works.   Can I assign one lan to go to the internet and the other one to go to our local network?  I have that now with some of my computers but we actually just ordered an add on nic and did it that way.  The board I'm talking about is the GIGABYTE GA-AX370-GAMING 5.  Thanks.

There are multiple ways you could use this. You are right, you could have one go to your lan and one to the internet. You could also run a virtual firewall between the ports. 

Another possibility is to use these together ( i forget the name of the protocol ) and have 2 gigabit speeds to your LAN. 

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#3 ingeborgdot

ingeborgdot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:29 AM