Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer not working after attempted RAM upgrade

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Sega Dude

Sega Dude

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 AM

Posted 31 July 2017 - 10:06 AM

I attempted to upgrade the RAM in my Mom's computer from 4GB to 8GB, as 4GB is no longer enough.  I thought it was going to be a quick, simple install. This is not my first RAM upgrade, I've done numerous RAM upgrades on desktops and laptops, new and old. When I put the new RAM in and turned the computer back on, it would turn on for a few seconds, then shut off and back on and off. So I resat the RAM and it still does the same thing. So I put the old RAM back in, and now it's giving me a beep code for no memory detected. This is a computer I built myself for my mom around May 2015. The specs are as follows:

Asus H81M-E motherboard

3.0GHz Intel Pentium G3220 CPU with the stock cooler

Western Digital Caviar Blue 320GB Hard Drive

The power supply is one that came out of my Lenovo PC when I upgraded my power supply, I believe it's 250W.

The new RAM is PNY MD8GK2D31600NHS-Z, 2 4GB sticks that came as a kit. The old RAM is Crucial CT2KIT25664BA160B, 2 2GB sticks that came as a kit.

I've tried reinstalling installing only one stick of the old RAM in the slot closest to the CPU, and I still got the no memory detected beep code. I also tried resetting the CMOS with the jumper, and that didn't help either, I still get the beep code. I don't know what else to do. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by Sega Dude, 31 July 2017 - 10:07 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 HyperHenry

HyperHenry

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:26 AM

Posted 31 July 2017 - 10:30 AM

Are you running 32 bit or 64 bit Windows and which Windows version? I'm sure you have double checked to make sure the RAM is all the way in the socket. Motherboards have different setups when running 2 RAM sticks instead of 4. For some you want to put them side by side and with others you want to skip a space. Have you tried both ways?

#3 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,493 posts
  •  
  • Location:Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital, Beelitz, Germany
  • Local time:12:26 PM

Posted 31 July 2017 - 10:39 AM

it would turn on for a few seconds, then shut off and back on and off. So I resat the RAM and it still does the same thing

this symptom normally does not have anything to do with RAM, this normally means the CPU is overheating,

you might have bumped the heat sink/CPU fan assembly a bit, i would remove that assembly, clean the thermal paste off with alcohol wipes, reapply new thermal paste, and reseat the unit

#4 Sega Dude

Sega Dude
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 AM

Posted 31 July 2017 - 10:51 AM

Are you running 32 bit or 64 bit Windows and which Windows version? I'm sure you have double checked to make sure the RAM is all the way in the socket. Motherboards have different setups when running 2 RAM sticks instead of 4. For some you want to put them side by side and with others you want to skip a space. Have you tried both ways?

It's running 64-bit Windows 10. The motherboard only has two RAM slots.

it would turn on for a few seconds, then shut off and back on and off. So I resat the RAM and it still does the same thing

this symptom normally does not have anything to do with RAM, this normally means the CPU is overheating,

you might have bumped the heat sink/CPU fan assembly a bit, i would remove that assembly, clean the thermal paste off with alcohol wipes, reapply new thermal paste, and reseat the unit

This makes sense, the RAM slots are right next to the heat sink, and it's a very tight space to work in. I don't think I have any thermal paste, I will have to buy some.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users