Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Did i lose all my files?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 andreasonacid

andreasonacid

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:59 AM

Posted 31 July 2017 - 09:53 AM

Hello guys! I have a WD 500GB green HDD over 5 years and i was using it for various music progs such as cubase,stylus etc...The main folder is about 370 GB!!!...The main problem is that i cannot copy the folder or the files even one by one!!!!...I try to login from ubuntu usb-linux cd-make an acronis partition back...still nothing!!! When the disk is plugged my system (win7 64) is really slow!!!The hd sentinel gives me a warn that "disks health 3%"...what can i do!!! I really need the files...is all my "work" over a decade!!!

HELP PLZ!!!!

Edited by andreasonacid, 31 July 2017 - 09:53 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,472 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:59 PM

Posted 31 July 2017 - 10:15 AM

If your files are not compromised you could clone the hdd with a program like Macrium Reflect .  You can find a tutorial for this here.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,823 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:59 AM

Posted 31 July 2017 - 10:17 AM

Your best bet would be to get a replacement drive, pronto, and attempt to clone the content on the failing drive over to it as the first order of business.

I have no idea, specifically, of what your warning means but I do know that a warning like this is not good and is strongly suggestive of imminent and permanent drive failure.

Not to rub salt in a currently open wound, but this is why backups are so necessary.  Having a single copy of any file (or even multiple copies but on the same drive) is just asking for trouble.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,641 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2017 - 11:12 AM

How important is this data to you? Stop using the drive and consult a professional data recovery service. This is not cheap and can run $1000 or more. If you attempt to clone the drive it could send it over the edge and your chances of recovery are then smaller. One of the better recovery services is DriveSavers and they will give you a free quote.

https://www.drivesaversdatarecovery.com/

#5 britechguy

britechguy

• 7,823 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2017 - 11:41 AM

I guess I am going to have to write some sort of "canned advice" with regard to failing hard drives which covers *all* the bases.

I simply presume that anyone using a computer knows of professional data recovery services and would avail themselves of same if their data were really precious and they can afford it.   I have had too many clients with data that was precious to them, but for whom professional data recovery was out of the question financially, that I presume that anyone posting on a forum such as this one falls into that category.  That presumption is not valid.

All of the above being said, it really depends on how the drive is failing that has the greatest impact on ability to recover data.  If you have the tragedy of physical damage to the platters (I'm presuming a HDD here) then data recovery for that area is impossible.   If you have a drive that's dying because its motor can no longer spin up the platters the probability of 100% recovery (and at great expense) is very good.   I am generally willing to presume that the vast majority of drive failures are secondary to issues with partial corruption and have no connection to physical platter damage or drive motor failure.  Or at least that's been my experience in the field with clients who had me recover data for them because they were not going to avail themselves of professional "clean-room level" recovery services.  It was either partial recovery by me or nothing at all.  So far, knock wood, those partial recoveries have been very successful and been very close to full, though sometimes with the need to slog through tons of data if I had to resort to something like the PictureRec (which recovers far more than pictures) utility that's part of TestDisk.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

~ Austin O'Malley

#6 andreasonacid

andreasonacid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2017 - 11:48 AM

The data are very important!!! As i wrote 10 years+ work....and right i cannot respond the price!!!

#7 britechguy

britechguy

• 7,823 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2017 - 11:52 AM

Well, you are left with with one of the two options previously proposed.   You shall have to choose between them.  But under the circumstances you should not keep that external drive connected and running for anything other than cloning it, if you go that route.   It is on the verge of failure and you either want to see if you can eke out enough life to clone it or immediately send it off to a recovery service for recovery.

After you have back what you can get back of your data be sure to get an additional backup drive and have a second copy of same so that this will not happen to you again.

~ Austin O'Malley

#8 andreasonacid

andreasonacid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2017 - 04:48 PM

Does Macrium Reflect  clone only a folder or the whole hdd only?

#9 britechguy

britechguy

• 7,823 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2017 - 05:07 PM

Cloning, by definition, is applied to an entire disc drive (or a partition, which would be a logical "whole" disc drive) in the context under discussion.  Macrium clones the drive.  Personally, although I use Macrium for my system backups, I find Miray HDClone a bit easier to use for simply cloning a disc.

You can use a larger drive and clone a smaller drive to it and just have leftover space.  You can also clone selected partitions/logical drives from a larger physical drive to a smaller hard drive provided it's large enough to hold the partition(s) being cloned.

If you have the typical external drive setup it's most likely that the entire drive is one partition.

~ Austin O'Malley

#10 andreasonacid

andreasonacid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2017 - 12:14 PM

I would like to thank all of you guys for helping me out!!!!

#11 britechguy

britechguy

• 7,823 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2017 - 12:17 PM

Please post your final outcome and how you got to it, if you would.  This is often very handy for future readers.

You're quite welcome for the assistance.

~ Austin O'Malley

#12 andreasonacid

andreasonacid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2017 - 05:35 AM

Well i try once again to boot from ubuntu usb and copy folder by folder by drag and drop...(i did that cause i want to know the "broken files" exactly)...and seems to worked fine because i got most of them back!!!

I think ubuntu "enviroment" makes the copy procedure easier when you got a dead hdd....

I will try to burn a dvd (windows 7 64) for the files did not copy...if the hdd let me do that...I tried last night but the drive is TOO SLOW so nero crashes (not responding)!!!

Edited by andreasonacid, 03 August 2017 - 05:38 AM.

#13 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:59 AM

Posted 03 August 2017 - 11:48 AM

Hopefully after this you address the issue of backups.  This thread reminded me to do my August backup.  SyncBack Free is an easy to use free backup program.  The 3-2-1 Backup plan is the best way to ensure the  security of your data.

The recommendation for data recovery is to get as much back as you can before you start working on the drive as all future attempts to access the data may kill the drive.  After you've gotten as much as you can you might try SpinRite, it isn't free, but if the drive is still functioning it may allow you to recover your data.  It may take a while.  I'm currently running it on an 8TB drive my Drobo said was failing and it is saying 10 days to complete.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users