Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Blackberry / Handheld Security Site

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Security Geek

Security Geek

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:00 PM

Posted 14 September 2006 - 07:13 AM

I would appreciate if anyone that has a handheld device with an internet connection could help me test a small screen formatted page I'm putting together. The page aggregates IT security newsfeed headlines from NIST.org, SANS.org, and FIRST.org. Headlines and summaries are specially formatted for Blackberrys, Treos, Windows Mobile device, or any other handheld with an Internet connection. NIST.org links go full news stories that are handheld formatted. You can get their by typing 'nist.org/small' from your handheld (I figured you didn't want to type, poke, or scratch too much from a handheld ). This page is currently in Beta so any and all comments or suggestions are welcome (please include what type of device you use). It just came up last night.

Comments that would benefit others should be posted here at BleepingComputer.com.

-- THANKS!

Edited by Security Geek, 14 September 2006 - 07:17 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Jay8604

Jay8604

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:00 PM

Posted 25 October 2006 - 07:16 PM

It looks pretty good. From a web designer point of view I think I might try to reduce the amount of information on the main page. Its a lot of information to go through on a handheld device. The summary after each link is a little long, so I would try shortening those up a little bit and maybe reducing the main page to about 3 or 4 continuous pages. This way the page wont seem as overwhelming nor will it take as long to load up for slower connections.
I'm connecting from a Blackberry 8100 Pearl using EDGE, GPRS, and WiFi 802.11n. I have tried each of the connections to check speed. When using a GPRS, the page loads much too slowly and, since that is one of the most common ways devices still connect to data transfer services I would defiantly try and clean up the amount of data per page a little.
What every it is you do to condense it a little make sure you have flow in mind. Remember people who access websites from a handheld can become very lost because it's difficult to get a full picture. So the tend to stick to websites they use often. So if you want this site to be successful in the handheld community your going to have to make it very easy to navigate from a handheld. anything that is used often that people are familiar with from the main page, just provide a link...
Hope that helped a little. I'll try checking back every one in a while. If there is anything I notice I'll be sure to let you know.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users