Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What graphics card do I need?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Jay_is_bored

Jay_is_bored

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:23 PM

Posted 31 July 2017 - 02:32 AM

I came across another computer being thrown out that came with Win XP. But this time the computer still has it, because it still has the hard drive and everything else.

I wan't to put Win7 or later on it, but Win7/8/8.1 all require: "DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM 1.0 or higher driver." I have several graphics cards sitting in a box, but they have a different pin arrangement than the slots on the motherboard.

Help please? I would like to get this computer going well enough to play low graphics video games like Minecraft (that's what my son plays). I have a pretty old graphics card on this main computer I use, and it can still play low graphics games if I don't try to download the most up-to-date video game clients.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,271 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:23 PM

Posted 31 July 2017 - 12:31 PM

Hello Jay_is_bored,

What brand and model of PC do you have.

Posting that you have a Windows XP computer doesn't help anyone to give any solid advice.

Remove the side cover and look on the motherboard and find the motherboard model number and post that also remove the memory sticks and post the amount of memory and type as it should be listed along with a model number.

What processor does the PC have in it.

Does this PC have integrated graphics capabilities or can it only use a graphics card from a slot.

Also what size of power supply does this PC have as this more than anything will determine what type of graphics card can be used.

By knowing what the PC is can result in better feedback to your original question.

Edited by The-Toolman, 31 July 2017 - 12:36 PM.

I'm grumpy because I can be not because I'm old.

The world is what you make of it, if it doesn't fit, you make alterations.

Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.  (Mark Twain)

#3 Jay_is_bored

Jay_is_bored
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2017 - 02:08 PM

Hi, thanks for the reply.

More about my computer:
Win xp home edition version 2002
Pentium 4 cpu 2.8ghz
256mb ram, ddr, 400MHz
Total storage: 34gb (currently 10.3gb free)
No wifi (I don't think)
graphics card: intel® 82865g
Motherboard model #: c92755-301
Integrated graphics (only card it has is dial-up modem)
250watt power supply

I want to run Win7, or 8.1. But I don't know if the integrated graphics device can support Direct X 9 which is needed for Win7/8/8.1. (But I'm hoping to be able to have Direct X 10).

The small hard drive isn't much of a problem because I have several larger hard drives.

And if necessary, I have larger power supplies. A 500W and a 750W. Though I'm unsure if the connectors would work.

There are two memory slots, and the 256MB takes up one slot. So I should be able to have sufficient memory with one more stick of whatever is the largest and compatible.

Basically, the most important issue to me is if Direct X 9 will work with the current graphics card.

Thanks.

Edited by Jay_is_bored, 31 July 2017 - 02:21 PM.

#4 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,271 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:23 PM

Posted 31 July 2017 - 02:38 PM

Hello Jay_is_bored,

So you have a Dell Desktop and somewhere on there is a system tag number where you can go to Dell website and enter the system tag and find out everything about that desktop.

In all honesty you are SOL as that desktop is just not very capable of running any other Windows OS other than XP.

That computer is just way to old to run Windows 7 and it also only appears to have an integrated graphics adapter.

You have no money invested in it now and my advice is to leave it that way.

You would be better off finding a computer that is newer with at least a dual core processor in it and at least DDR2 memory.

Edited by The-Toolman, 31 July 2017 - 02:49 PM.

I'm grumpy because I can be not because I'm old.

The world is what you make of it, if it doesn't fit, you make alterations.

Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.  (Mark Twain)

#5 Jay_is_bored

Jay_is_bored
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2017 - 03:20 PM

Ok. Thank you. I think I'll probably go with your advice, as any money put into it could instead be used towards a better computer.

It does still work for basic stuff like browsing the internet.

For now I guess I'm just hoping that with the way it is now, it can play Minecraft and RuneScape, two low graphics video games my son and I play. I haven't been able to test it yet because I've been trying to get the computer to operate slightly faster than a snail. Defragmenting, removing programs from startup, lowered the display settings, uninstalling programs...and soon gonna use an antivirus.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users