Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How do I get this PC on my LAN?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 GetOffMyLAN

GetOffMyLAN

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:03 PM

Posted 31 July 2017 - 01:42 AM

I have 2 routers. One of which was provided by my ISP and essentially just sits in the living room as a modem in bridge mode. My other is an aftermarket router which has been flashed with DD-WRT, Linksys EA6500v1, if that's of any relevance.

I have a 50ft Ethernet cord running through the wall outlets into my room, powering my DD-WRT router's WAN port to create an unrestricted, full speed PPPoE connection of its own. This router is used for all Wi-Fi devices and nearby Ethernet devices, essentially acting as a primary Gateway router.

However, I have a desktop computer located in the living room where the ISP router is, and the only way it can get an internet connection is by hooking it up to the ISP router via Ethernet, also establishing PPPoE. As you can imagine, this creates various problems. I'd like to avoid having to buy a Wi-Fi card for it, as the wireless connection gets heavily degraded in that particular room.

What adjustments must be done to both routers that would allow me to somehow have this desktop computer hop over from the ISP router to my DD-WRT one? Perhaps I should look into LAN-to-LAN?

The firmware of my ISP router is highly limited, meaning that I have little options to do things such as create static routes on it.

I'm already anticipating that I'll have to reclarify my issue many times as/if this thread moves forward. Thank you so much for taking the time to read this and maybe even replying with your two cents.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:03 PM

Posted 31 July 2017 - 09:39 AM

run a network cable from the 2nd router to the living room is your only option if wifi isn't a option.

there is no way to jump from the isp router to the ddwrt one and go thru the lan interface of the ddwrt router.

#3 arlattimor

arlattimor

• Members
  • 591 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:03 PM

Posted 01 August 2017 - 08:31 PM

Wand3r3r, you have never heard of Powerline Networking? Here you go GetOffMyLAN, this is essentially a DHCP Relay thru the Electrical Cabling of your house. Plug 1 adapter to a Wall Outlet in the same room as your wireless router and connect the adapter with a network cable to your router. Plug the second adapter to Wall Outlet in the same room as your computer and connect the adapter with a network cable to your computer.  

https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-Powerline-Adapter-Starter-TL-PA2010KIT/dp/B00AWRUIY4/ref=pd_lpo_vtph_147_bs_lp_t_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=F8FYDVQJR65WV3HDZDZ7

http://www.tp-link.com/eg/products/details/TL-PA2010.html

Edited by arlattimor, 01 August 2017 - 08:32 PM.

A. Lattimore

CCNA, CWNA, MCITP, MCSA, MCT, MCP, Security+, Server+, Linux+, Network+, A+, CNST

Network Security Engineer

#4 toofarnorth

toofarnorth

• Members
  • 379 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:03 PM

Posted 01 August 2017 - 09:13 PM

Personally I would run another ethernet cable back the way the existing one goes.

Ethernet cable > Powerline adapters every single day of the week ;)

tfn

#5 arlattimor

arlattimor

• Members
  • 591 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2017 - 09:22 PM

LOL to each their own but I take Aesthetics into consideration. If I can hide a 50ft cable and I know how to, I will. :clapping:

Edited by arlattimor, 01 August 2017 - 09:25 PM.

A. Lattimore

CCNA, CWNA, MCITP, MCSA, MCT, MCP, Security+, Server+, Linux+, Network+, A+, CNST

#6 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:03 PM

Posted 01 August 2017 - 11:41 PM

Powerline is a viable option. Though I tend to go for reliability over aesthetics.

#7 arlattimor

arlattimor

• Members
  • 591 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2017 - 11:53 PM

Again to each their own.

A. Lattimore

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users