Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Some haven't received the Creators Update yet. How many?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 bcmo

bcmo

• Members
  • 181 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:30 AM

Posted 30 July 2017 - 10:34 PM

Are there any estimates on the percentage of home users who have received the Creators Update versus those who haven't yet?

(Obviously not including those who went and got it themselves.)

Edited by bcmo, 31 July 2017 - 09:21 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 5,374 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:30 AM

Posted 31 July 2017 - 08:23 AM

I have never seen this sort of data published, and I really wish that Microsoft would do so.  They have to be able to roughly estimate the percentages of the machines running each type (enterprise, pro, home, S) that have received the latest version of Windows 10 as rollouts of new versions proceed.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website address in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose

#3 midimusicman79

midimusicman79

• Members
  • 408 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:30 AM

Posted 31 July 2017 - 09:02 AM

Hi all!

A relevant article, although not written by Microsoft: https://betanews.com/2017/07/03/most-windows-10-users-not-running-creators-update/

Regards,
midimusicman79

Edited by midimusicman79, 31 July 2017 - 09:22 AM.

MS Win 10 Pro 64-bit, EAM Pro/EEK, SWB, WPP, HMP.A with CryptoGuard, CryptoPrevent Free, MB Free, SIRI? and Unchecky, WFW, FFQ with µBO, Ghostery, HTTPS Ew and VTzilla. Acronis TI 2017, K. Sw. Upd. AM-tools: 9-lab RT BETA, AdwCleaner, Auslogics AM, aswMBR, Avira PCC, BD ART, catchme, Cezurity AV, CCE, CKS, ClamWin P., Crystal Sec., DDS, DWCI, EMCO MD, eScan MWAV, ESS/EOS, FGP, FMTB, FRST, F-SOS, FSS, FreeFixer, GMP, GMER, hP BETA, HJT, Inherit, JRT, K. avz4, KVRT, K. TDSSKiller, LSP-Fix, MB Free, MBAR BETA, MA Stinger, NMC, NPE, NSS, NVT MRF (NMRF), OTL, PCC, QD, RCS, RSIT, RKill, Rs, SC, SR, SAP, SVRT, SAS, SL, TMHC, TSA ART, UHM, Vba32 AR, VRS, WR (AiO), Xvirus PG, ZAM, ZHPC, ZHPD and Zoek. I have 22 Years of PC Experience. Bold = effective.

#4 bcmo

bcmo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 181 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2017 - 09:21 AM

It's interesting that I just happened to see this article today about it.

Edited by bcmo, 31 July 2017 - 09:22 AM.

#5 britechguy

britechguy

• 5,374 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2017 - 09:25 AM

midimusicman79,

Indeed this is an interesting and relevant article, but it's already grossly out of date (and I find it interesting that they don't have an actual date of publication at the top.  A month is like a lifetime when it comes to a Windows 10 Version Rollout.

I definitely agree with the observation in the article, "the rate of the Creators Update rollout is pretty much comparable to that of the Anniversary Update at this point, although the earlier release picked up the pace about now in its rollout, so it will be interesting to see if history repeats itself."  I keep repeating and repeating and repeating to people at every version update that the process is months-long and machines are grouped into cohorts to which the feature update is pushed on a given date.  This allows for ongoing collection of telemetry information to see if problems are cropping up which need attention.  There is no way that Microsoft, or any OS maker for the PC platform, could possibly test on every hardware configuration that exists out there "in the wild" nor would they be testing on machines that were never certified for Windows 10 by their makers but where millions have been updated to Windows 10 anyway.

"Windows as a Service," is as much a challenge for Microsoft to handle as it is for their users to handle.  It was a tectonic shift in how OS updates are developed and delivered.

P.S. to bcmo:  The blog post you refer to gives credence to the observation about this feature update "pick[ing] up the pace about now in its rollout."  This is unsurprising, as most of the bugs that are going to reveal themselves will do so in the earlier stages rather than the later ones.

Edited by britechguy, 31 July 2017 - 09:27 AM.
P.S.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website address in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

#6 badtoad

badtoad

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2017 - 10:38 AM

No Creators Update yet on my end but I had to agree to the new privacy policy.I saw there was an issue with the Toshiba Display Utility which I have but cannot figure out it was fixed.Toshiba lists my model as being alright to update but I will not force update just in case.

#7 britechguy

britechguy

• 5,374 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2017 - 10:47 AM

I ended up forcing the update on my Win10 Pro 32-bit desktop machine because I was having mouse problems that turned out to be the wireless mouse's optical bit having died.  I've never had that happen before!  

I was going to wait until the update was pushed by Windows Update just to see how long it would be before it landed on my desktop machine.  I force updated the laptop I'm typing on when Version 1703 first came out since I knew clients would be calling about same and the other Win10 Home 64-bit laptop in my household got the update pushed by Windows Update.

#8 midimusicman79

midimusicman79

• Members
  • 408 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:30 AM

Posted 01 August 2017 - 08:00 AM

Hi all!

It's interesting that I just happened to see this article today about it.

Yes, your article is new (from July 27, 2017).

Indeed this is an interesting and relevant article, but it's already grossly out of date (and I find it interesting that they don't have an actual date of publication at the top.  A month is like a lifetime when it comes to a Windows 10 Version Rollout.

I am sorry about that, but yes, I certainly agree that my article is old, however as for publication date, actually the URL includes it, namely July 3, 2017. At the top of the article it just vaguely says: "Published 4 weeks ago."

https://betanews.com/2017/07/03/most-windows-10-users-not-running-creators-update/

And personally, I have made a habit of using the Media Creation Tool to clean install every major new version of Windows 10, in order to start anew, even though I know that it involves a huge amount of work, which of course takes significant time to complete.

Thank you all! :)

Regards,
midimusicman79

Edited by midimusicman79, 01 August 2017 - 09:21 AM.

MS Win 10 Pro 64-bit, EAM Pro/EEK, SWB, WPP, HMP.A with CryptoGuard, CryptoPrevent Free, MB Free, SIRI? and Unchecky, WFW, FFQ with µBO, Ghostery, HTTPS Ew and VTzilla. Acronis TI 2017, K. Sw. Upd. AM-tools: 9-lab RT BETA, AdwCleaner, Auslogics AM, aswMBR, Avira PCC, BD ART, catchme, Cezurity AV, CCE, CKS, ClamWin P., Crystal Sec., DDS, DWCI, EMCO MD, eScan MWAV, ESS/EOS, FGP, FMTB, FRST, F-SOS, FSS, FreeFixer, GMP, GMER, hP BETA, HJT, Inherit, JRT, K. avz4, KVRT, K. TDSSKiller, LSP-Fix, MB Free, MBAR BETA, MA Stinger, NMC, NPE, NSS, NVT MRF (NMRF), OTL, PCC, QD, RCS, RSIT, RKill, Rs, SC, SR, SAP, SVRT, SAS, SL, TMHC, TSA ART, UHM, Vba32 AR, VRS, WR (AiO), Xvirus PG, ZAM, ZHPC, ZHPD and Zoek. I have 22 Years of PC Experience. Bold = effective.

#9 bcmo

bcmo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 181 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2017 - 07:19 PM

It would seem that by the time the "Fall Creators Update" reaches most users, it will be more accurately described at the "Spring Creators Update".

#10 britechguy

britechguy

• 5,374 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2017 - 09:32 PM

It would seem that by the time the "Fall Creators Update" reaches most users, it will be more accurately described at the "Spring Creators Update".

Not that I don't think your prediction will very likely come to pass, but let's wait to see if the first Creators Update (Version 1703) has actually rolled out to the entire Windows 10 base (that's not enterprise or educational - and centrally managed) by the time the Fall Creators Update is slated to come out.  I have my doubts on that front.

#11 bcmo

bcmo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 181 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2017 - 06:11 PM

Is there any date where everyone is supposed to have received the version 1703 update by?

#12 britechguy

britechguy

• 5,374 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2017 - 06:49 PM

Is there any date where everyone is supposed to have received the version 1703 update by?

I have never seen Microsoft announce a "roll out complete" date for any new version of Windows 10.  I have often wondered why they do not.

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 20,553 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2017 - 06:59 PM

Per this article 25% still do not have the Creator's update.

https://betanews.com/2017/09/26/quarter-of-windows-10-users-without-creators-update/

#14 britechguy

britechguy

• 5,374 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2017 - 07:59 PM

As I predicted:  Some will never have it and go straight to "Creators Update II" [Version 1709].

#15 bcmo

bcmo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 181 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2017 - 10:14 PM

As I predicted:  Some will never have it and go straight to "Creators Update II" [Version 1709].

Maybe they'll give them version 1703 when everyone else gets 1709?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users