Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What External Audio Cards do You Like?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 F-1DeskLamp

F-1DeskLamp

• Members
  • 307 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:10 AM

Posted 30 July 2017 - 08:42 PM

I'd like to keep the price down, but this is an interesting subject whether about high or low priced external audio cards. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,178 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:10 PM

Posted 31 July 2017 - 09:14 AM

Well it depends on what you want to do with it. For example if you want to drive some decent headphones, and have a line out connection for an amp or powered speakers with higher sound quality than a typical sound card, but have no interest in recording then a DAC like the popular Fiio E10K might do what you want.

If you do want inputs, including the ability to use high quality condenser mics, plus a volume adjustable balanced output to drive a set of studio monitor speakers then an audio interface like the Steinberg UR22 MkII is worth a look.

7sbvuf-6.png

#3 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 752 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2017 - 09:55 AM

i use an USB lexicon alpha for audio mixing.

#4 F-1DeskLamp

F-1DeskLamp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 307 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2017 - 09:55 PM

If anyone else wants to recommend what they used with success, tell me all about it.   :thumbup2:   

I think I got the idea, and I'll see what pans out.  I'm recording things, and I mess around with music sound effects.  Actually I study sound effects like studying a new language, so I can use them in the clutch.  I have the PC and the Behringer Mixer, and I need to import the sound from out of the PC into the mixer, so I can manage the audio effects from the mixer.   

So it's really just that simple.  The speaker jack to the PC has a bad audio card or something, so I have to bypass.  If I run audio into the mixer from my mobile computers, then the audio is just fine.  

#5 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,178 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2017 - 01:03 AM

How about the Behringer UMC202HD. Seems to have a lot of features for the price (about $60). Even cheaper, on a HiFi forum I visit occasionally there are a few of them quite happy with the $30 Behringer UCA202, which they've used to digitise old tape collections etc... It just has basic stereo line in/line out connections but if that's all you need, it might do the job.

7sbvuf-6.png

#6 F-1DeskLamp

F-1DeskLamp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 307 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2017 - 09:13 AM

I was looking at those.  I guess basically the USB out of the PC runs it to the audio face or card, and then I can run an XLR or 1/4" cable/s to the mixer.  

Which forum is that? 

#7 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,178 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2017 - 10:10 AM

Yes they act as a sound card (standard USB audio device).  The pricier Behringer has balanced (TRS 1/4") outputs, which can be converted to balanced XLR at the other end with a simple cable, and XLR inputs (which also accept 1/4" jack plugs).  The cheaper UCA202 uses unbalanced RCA plugs for both input and output. I'm presuming you loop the output from the mixer back into the audio interface for recording?

The forum was for a British HiFi magazine, www.whathifi.com (I haven't been there for some time)

The KVR Audio forum has a lot of people on it who know what they are doing with pro-audio hardware like mixers, audio interfaces and so on which might be of interest.

7sbvuf-6.png

#8 F-1DeskLamp

F-1DeskLamp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 307 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2017 - 03:30 AM

Thanks 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users