Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

W7 Reinstall slowed laptop

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Nelthak

Nelthak

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:01 AM

Posted 30 July 2017 - 07:06 PM

Hello, I have just done a clean install of Windows 7 Professional (maybe not as clean as I think) and now my laptop (Metabox Prime P670SE) is not functioning as good as before. Programs open a lot slower and I've noticed that the administrator account has been turned off/disabled and many audit success Special Logons (9 in total today). Autoruns 64 has a lot of "file not found" for a clean install. Installing Thunderbird changed Malwarebytes and Bitdefenders thumbnail and I can't get Bitdefender Spam tool bar to work with Thunderbird. I've had to do a repair on Bitdefender already as the User Interface kept showing 0 files scanned and 0 virus signatures. I'm sure I've stuffed up somewhere but just not sure where and would appreciate any assistance to rectify my mistakes. Please help. Thank you :smash:

Edited by Nelthak, 30 July 2017 - 07:24 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,602 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:31 AM

Posted 30 July 2017 - 07:31 PM

How did you do the clean install? Did you wipe the existing partitions? 

#3 HyperHenry

HyperHenry

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:31 AM

Posted 30 July 2017 - 07:48 PM

I was wondering the same thing as JohnC. Did you use a Windows 7 disk or a recovery disk that came with the computer? New computers don't come with them anymore but if you're running 7 yours might have.

#4 Nelthak

Nelthak
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2017 - 10:02 PM

Hi JohnC_21, I did the install from W7 disk I got with the laptop. I didn't format/wipe the existing drives as previously on an old laptop when I reinstalled windows the option to reformat came up when doing the install but this time it didn't ask so I thought that's just how it worked for SSD's. I guess that was my big mistake.

Hi HyperHenry, Laptop is 2 years old and came with a Windows 7 Pro disk...some computer places back then still gave you the option to choose which Windows operating system you would like :)

#5 HyperHenry

HyperHenry

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:31 AM

Posted 30 July 2017 - 10:23 PM

I believe you're having issues because of bloatware that comes on computers and is added to the reinstall disks. Try downloading and running PC Decrapifier and see if that helps. https://www.pcdecrapifier.com/download/free

#6 Nelthak

Nelthak
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2017 - 04:51 AM

Thanks for that HyperHenry. I already use Revo uninstaller.

I got general instructions from Metabox support about reinstalling but nothing about formatting the SSD?

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,602 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2017 - 06:56 AM

You don't need to format the SSD on a clean install. Windows will do it for you but you need to delete all existing partitions first. See the following guide.

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-clean-install-windows-7-2624917

Windows 7 should automatically set the OS to Trim the SSD. Make sure it is enabled.

https://www.ghacks.net/2010/09/14/verify-that-trim-is-enabled-in-windows-7/

#8 Nelthak

Nelthak
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2017 - 06:52 PM

Thanks JohnC_21. Trim was enabled. Looks like I'll try another install with the above instructions. Just wondering if I should install all the drivers from Metabox before I install the windows updates or doesn't it make any difference?

Also is there a fool proof way of transferring Thunderbird files and filters to the new install. I seemed to have lost some folders with my last attempt?

Edited by Nelthak, 01 August 2017 - 06:55 PM.

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,602 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2017 - 07:22 PM

Thanks JohnC_21. Trim was enabled. Looks like I'll try another install with the above instructions. Just wondering if I should install all the drivers from Metabox before I install the windows updates or doesn't it make any difference?

Also is there a fool proof way of transferring Thunderbird files and filters to the new install. I seemed to have lost some folders with my last attempt?

You should install your drivers first. Look in Device Manager for any yellow exclamation marks and only install drivers for those with exclamation marks other than perhaps the updated Graphics Driver.

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/profiles-where-thunderbird-stores-user-data

https://raymii.org/s/tutorials/Thunderbird_Back_Up_Mail__Message_Filters.html

#10 Nelthak

Nelthak
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2017 - 07:53 PM

Thank you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users