Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Bitdefender Ran fine, but can't run combofix

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2 replies to this topic

#1 pbracing33b

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • Local time:07:31 AM

Posted 30 July 2017 - 06:34 PM

Hello I am new to this forum and I am an IT professional. I work for a small company so resources are limited. Here it goes:

Our VP somehow got their computer infected and I need to return it by tom. (note: I am not at work right now) The first time I ran a Bitdefender it ran and got to a file and then just shut down. The file had something to do with ringtones (note: this is on a laptop). Bitdefender stopped and quit working. Ran Bitdefender again and this time we found ransomeware and several trojans on her computer with Bitdefender, I deleted all those files. Next I tried to run combofix and combofix still won't run (it says to run in reduced functionality mode click yes, if I do that it deletes combofix and then I have to reload combofix from the flashdrive and tried several times.), I've tried to rename combofix and it still won't run. I've ran malwarebytes, JRT, rkill, tdsskill (all these programs didn't find anything when I ran them the first time around) and I still can't run combofix. I've been told by my supervisor that we can't do a refresh on the computer. So I'm kinda of stumped right now on what else I can do. The only thing I can think of is look at my logs from the first time around and find that file that stopped bitdefender and delete it. Anyone else have any other suggestions?

Please don't give me the response of combofix is a powerful tool, yes I already know that. I'm looking to see how I can get combofix to run.

Thanks for the help! :)

Edited by pbracing33b, 30 July 2017 - 06:38 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nasdaq

• Malware Response Team
  • 38,390 posts

Posted 31 July 2017 - 07:24 AM

Hello, Welcome to BleepingComputer.
I'm nasdaq and will be helping you.

If you can please print this topic it will make it easier for you to follow the instructions and complete all of the necessary steps in the order listed.
Please run this scanning tool.
I need more information before suggesting any fix.

:step3: Download the version of this tool for your operating system.
Farbar Recovery Scan Tool (64 bit)
Farbar Recovery Scan Tool (32 bit)
and save it to a folder on your computer's Desktop.
Double-click to run it. When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.
Press Scan button.
It will make a log (FRST.txt) in the same directory the tool is run. Please copy and paste it to your reply.
The first time the tool is run, it makes also another log (Addition.txt). Please attach it to your reply.

How to attach a file to your reply:
In the Reply section in the bottom of the topic Click the "more reply Options" button.

Attach the file.
Select the "Choose a File" navigate to the location of the File.
Click the file you wish to Attach.
Click Attach this file.
Click the Add reply button.

Please post the logs.

Let me know what problems persists.

#3 nasdaq

• Malware Response Team
  • 38,390 posts

Posted 06 August 2017 - 08:18 AM

Due to the lack of feedback, this topic is now closed.

In the event you still have problems, please send me or any Moderator a Private Message and ask them to reopen this topic within the next 5 days.

Please include a link to your topic in the Private Message. Thank you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users