Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to monitor Internet connection speed over time

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 BNDAZ

BNDAZ

• Members
  • 286 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:38 PM

Posted 30 July 2017 - 06:02 PM

I have Cox communications, i should be getting 100Mbs, modem/router hardware is all current.

I am not running any streaming devices ( i am going to, this is why i am verifying my connection)

these tests are from a hardwired PC:

Running the google speed test through M Lab i get various inconsistent results ...last four test, 30 seconds apart yielded:

18.1 /5.66

47.6/5.69

8.53/5.66

Ookla results are consistent:
Ping

19 ms
60.34 Mbps
5.55 Mbps

is there a program i can run that will monitor and graft my speed over time that i can show to a tech to prove these speeds?

Edited by BNDAZ, 30 July 2017 - 06:03 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,096 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:38 AM

Posted 30 July 2017 - 06:13 PM

If you register on the Ookla web-site it will create a very neat graphic log of your performance which can be copied. You could, for example, do a series of tests across the span of a day which would show how your performance changes with local loading. Or a series say once a week which would show variation over time.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 BNDAZ

BNDAZ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 286 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:38 PM

Posted 30 July 2017 - 07:33 PM

Thank you i will do that, id would like to have an automated method as well.  I know i had a program that i used years ago, i just dont recall the name.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users