Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Causing Chrome Profile Issues

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Zyreck

Zyreck

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:35 PM

Posted 30 July 2017 - 11:14 AM

Problem Description -

A few days ago, when I attempted to open a Twitch stream, Chrome closed itself. I was a little confused as to what was going on, so I tried going into chrome://settings to poke around, and, to my disappointment, Chrome closed itself again. After a lot of trial and error, it seems this issue is present with websites that use Chrome's Flash player. Twitch, chrome://settings, and Gmail are the websites that come to mind immediately. It also happened a few times when websites have asked to run Flash. When I click "Run", Chrome closes out.

Here is an example of what I mean: https://gyazo.com/80a9d995f25478896202e4cd756f93c7

Attempted Solutions -

• Disabling all extensions and running the websites on an incognito tab.

• Clearing Chrome's cookies and cache

• Uninstalling and reinstalling Chrome (including removing all Chrome-related files)

• Running Chrome Cleanup Tool

• Running Google Chrome with Sandboxie

• Running a virus scan with Malwarebytes

• Cleaning my computer with CCleaner

• Manually updating Shockwave Flash from the Adobe website (also tried uninstalling)

• Checking Device Manager for the Etron 3.0 USB Driver (which apparently has been causing an issue for some people when opening settings), but I don't have it on my computer

• Unplugging all USBs and restarting my computer, then checking Chrome without the USBs plugged in

• Creating a new user profile with Windows

• Running Chrome as a guest

• Creating a new Chrome profile

• Running the websites on other computers and networks while signed into my Google account

• Booting my computer in safe mode with networking

My Thoughts -

Although I listed everything above as an attempted solution, a few of them actually worked:

• Running Chrome as a guest

• Running the websites on other computers and networks while signed into my Google account

• Booting my computer in safe mode with networking

I've been able to open the websites on Chrome in safe mode (while still signed into my Google account) as well as being able to run the websites while using my profile on other computers, so I don't actually think it's a Chrome issue. Because creating a new user profile with Windows also didn't work, I don't believe it's a user setting. Additionally, I was able to open the websites when using Chrome as a guest, but creating a new user profile with Chrome doesn't work. I'm posting here because it seems to be an issue with my computer. If it works in safe mode but not normally, then I'm assuming it's an issue with Windows or a program I have. If anyone is able to help me come up with a solution for this, I'd really appreciate it.

Thank you for your time!

Computer Information -

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/qKML5ADdQcgodlPCODF4MIO

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users