Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Identifying Recovery Files So They Can Be Deleted

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 capturit

capturit

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:47 AM

Posted 30 July 2017 - 06:51 AM

I would like to identify which of the files below on my external drive are part of the Recovery Drive of my computer system (I no longer want to continue the process of making this external drive the Recovery Drive for my computer system).  I would like to delete the Recovery System files on this external drive.  I stopped the Recovery File process and now want to delete (or move the system files if I need to) to make space for the reclaimed files that were originally on the external drive.  It is probably obvious to most what files are the system recovery files but since this is the first time I have performed this task I would like to make sure I don't erase files that are no longer on the system or files that were originally on the external drive.  I am using RECUVA which has reclaimed the original files on the external drive but don't want to delete them:

bootx64.efi    1,196 KB (contains a boot folder and Microsoft folder)

$PBR_Diskpart.txt    1KB

$PBR_ResetConfig.xml    1KB

Reconstruct.Wim    WIM file    322,965 KB

~lock.reagent.mxl#     99 bytes

bootmgr        385 KB

bootmgr.efi    1.15 MB

reagent.xml    1.05 KB

Edited by hamluis, 01 August 2017 - 02:38 PM.
Moved from All Other Apps to Backup/Imaging/Disk Mgmt - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,705 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:47 PM

Posted 30 July 2017 - 07:56 AM

I find it difficult to work out from your explanation exactly what you are aiming to do, but the only file on your list that can be a recovery file is the .WIM (Windows IMage) file. It is not large (if the KB is not a typo), but I'm guessing that is explained by your statement that you interrupted the process.

I'm guessing the drive has accidentally been nominated as the backup drive and its previous contents lost and are being recovered? In that case, anything that has been overwritten by Reconstruct.Wim will be corrupted, but since it seems to be small, that hopefully will not affect many files.

Edited by Platypus, 30 July 2017 - 07:56 AM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 capturit

capturit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:47 AM

Posted 31 July 2017 - 12:58 AM

You are correct Platypus, I started to copy the Recovery file on the external drive and interrupted it realizing it would erase all my work (did not understand when told the Recovery File would delete everything on One Terra-byte and overwrite EVERYTHING even if it didn't use all the memory on the external drive).  I had photo files and documents from the office editor - regular stuff, which has me thinking most if not all would be erased?  I'm not sure and a little confused right now since breaking from this and now coming back to it.  I also want to erase the Partition on my Drive of this since I have made a copy on my jump drive (without Windows 10).

#4 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,527 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:47 PM

Posted 01 August 2017 - 07:26 PM

Because I'm not sure exactly what happened, the only advice I have is, adding to the previous poster's very good advice:

find a local data recovery person, not just a hardware/software computer technician, rather, a local data recovery person who can take a good long look at your computer, especially its involved hard-drives, listening as you describe what was done before, and either advise you or walk you through the best possible data recovery process.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users