Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Microsoft Media Player won't Recognize my downloaded MP4 Video

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 goodluckman65

goodluckman65

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:34 PM

Posted 30 July 2017 - 12:47 AM

I am using a software:  Video Download Ultimate.  My source for these videos is a private site that I am a member.  Some times the video downloads no problem other times it doesn't seem to download right so the media player can't open it.   cannot Here is the message verbatim

"Windows Media Player cannot play this file.  The player might  not support this file type or support the codec  tat was used to compress the file"

Here is what I tried"

1. Went to Microsoft help website and found nothing very confusing

2 Tried opening with VLC still would not open

3.. Tried Phot.o Shop

4.Tried adobe Premier Pro - nothing

5.  Unable to  download GOM

7  Tried a video converter softeware but  complicated for me

8. Now I am here :devil: 

I am using windows 7 on a 5year old laptop that does need to be replaced.

​If there is anyway to save these videos my work will not be in vain 

Thank You Everyone

Goodluckman65

Edited by britechguy, 30 July 2017 - 10:21 AM.
Moved from Business Applications to Audio & Video

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Hareen

Hareen

• Members
  • 157 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:04 PM

Posted 30 July 2017 - 01:05 AM

For saving the videos on sites I would suggest Internet Download Manager. Directly type internetdownloadmanager.com in your browser or download from filehippo. 

The initial days of usage will be difficult though as it tries to grab everything on the page for download.

Adding custom filters take time, of course.

But once you are set it will be very easy. 

Also Update your codecs. I prefer and suggest K-Lite Mega Codec Pack.

Hope this should fix your problem.

#3 zainmax

zainmax

• Banned
  • 344 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:34 PM

Posted 30 July 2017 - 03:27 AM

If Windows Media Player does not play this video and VLC Media Player does not play this video, then it is not an .mp4 video or it is a corrupted file and any of code packs will not help. Also, no downloader cannot fix corrupted files.

#4 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,914 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:34 AM

Posted 30 July 2017 - 10:20 AM

I find myself in agreement with zainmax on this one.

All signs are that the file(s) are corrupted either on the site itself (which can happen if the uploader doesn't verify that they work after uploading) or via a "burp" of some sort on download.

The mechanism one uses to download should be irrelevant.  You could retry the download with a different browser but if the result is the same it's far more probable that the file itself is corrupt than anything else.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.  Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.

~ Mark Twain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users