Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ssd from laptop to pc tower. usb keyboard dont work after bios

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 welpxd

welpxd

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:18 AM

Posted 29 July 2017 - 09:42 PM

Hello,

I recently purchased a pc tower with out a hard drive. Since my laptop was broken (mother board eroded but everything else was working), I took the ssd from the laptop and placed it in the pc tower. The pc is working fine and the keyboard and mouse works in the bios, but after window logo loads, the keyboard and mouse don't work anymore. 

Things I've tried/noticed: 

1. Used all usb ports 
2. USB Legacy Support is enabled 
3. bios recognized keyboard and mouse 
4. Keyboard and mouse and the usb ports on the pc works fine 

1tb ssd was used in a dell inspiron 15r running win 7 

pc tower specs: 

CPU: Core i5-4460 @ 3.20GHz 
Mobo: MSI H81M - P33 
RAM: 2x 2GB PC3-8500 DDR3 1066MHz 
GPU: 650Ti BOOST 2GB DDR5 
PSU: APS - 450CCP 450W (Stock) 

My guess is that the ssd was running on a laptop using the keyboard that was attached to the motherboard (of the laptop), and the config carried over to the new pc tower after it was attached? 

Thanks for your help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 malwaredpc

malwaredpc

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:18 PM

Posted 30 July 2017 - 12:26 AM

I  have a question, does the new desktop PC have an OS installed?

#3 welpxd

welpxd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:18 AM

Posted 30 July 2017 - 12:57 AM

well the ssd that is in the desktop right now used to run win 7 on my laptop. So yea i guess.

And the harddrive that was on the desktop before had win 7 on it as well. (yo know, before i threw it away)

#4 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:18 PM

Posted 30 July 2017 - 03:15 AM

You should reinstall Windows OS as this way you make sure correct device drivers are loaded when you boot Windows OS.

Posted Image

#5 malwaredpc

malwaredpc

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2017 - 12:51 PM

I think that your coputer may be booting from the SSD instead of the HDD. Check that in the BIOS.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,420 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:18 AM

Posted 30 July 2017 - 02:46 PM

I recently purchased a pc tower with out a hard drive. 

Computer has no hard drive.

Edited by JohnC_21, 30 July 2017 - 02:46 PM.

#7 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,994 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:18 PM

Posted 30 July 2017 - 05:48 PM

Taking a drive out of one computer and placing it in another will only work - and then maybe - if the two computers have identical specs, and this is not the case here.

At the very least you need to go to the MSI web-site and download and install the chipset drivers for your mobo. I imagine you will then also need the drivers for your video card as well, and any other hardware drivers not included in the chipset.

You also have a problem with the OS on this SSD drive. Since it came out of a laptop it almost certainly has an OEM license which does not permit it to be moved to a different computer. This in itself will not stop the computer booting, but it will not authenticate. Since this tower previously had Win 7 on it and if you have a sticker for that install of Windows you may be ble to use that serial to authenticate, but it will almost certainly take a phone call to MS to get authentication. Tell them the HD died, which is near enough the truth in any case.

Chris Cosgrove

I am going to be away until about the 22nd October. Time on-line will be reduced and my internet access may be limited. PMs may not be replied to as quickly as normal !

#8 malwaredpc

malwaredpc

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2017 - 11:25 PM

Sorry, but didn't you say that the tower had Windows 7 also? Ah ok you throw it away... You should get it way back as it will be very helpful.

You are trying to boot an OS that has all drivers for other hardware; Windows will fail loading properly because of that. You can boot in safe mode and if it boots you can uninstall the drivers and reboot. Hopefully it can detect and install the correct ones or at least let you in.

W7 activation is based on hardware, so it will act as not a legal copy, therefore won't be activated. You can install Windows 7 (or other OS) from scratch on that drive and use it in the desktop hardware.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users