Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bad Capacitors.

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,347 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:12 AM

Posted 29 July 2017 - 07:47 PM

Although this video is about Monitors the same reason for other electronics failure holds true.

About 4 minutes into the video you can see what is the reason in most cases of electronics failure.

I'm grumpy because I can be not because I'm old.

The world is what you make of it, if it doesn't fit, you make alterations.

Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.  (Mark Twain)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,022 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:12 PM

Posted 31 July 2017 - 04:50 PM

On a slightly related note, bad capacitors do give a huge number of puns just waiting to be made, if this sort of humour isn't too shocking for you then it might have some potential, or you might prefer to resist. Let's just hope the jokes don't polarise, even if in the dielectric sense, the community.
Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#3 The-Toolman

The-Toolman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,347 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2017 - 07:02 PM

Very good rp88. :)

Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.  (Mark Twain)

#4 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,147 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 AM

Posted 31 July 2017 - 08:39 PM

Grooooooooooooan.  

[On a serious note (and not having watched the video) there's not always anything showing on top of the can like in the video image above.  A bloated container as a whole or a clear dome on the top screams "replace me."]

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#5 The-Toolman

The-Toolman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,347 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2017 - 07:19 AM

Hey britechguy,

Yep bad capacitors don't always show leakage and some don't even show any signs of swollen tops.

#6 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,744 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 PM

Posted 01 August 2017 - 06:41 PM

At least electrolytics are normally big enough to replace fairly easily. Just remember they are polarity conscious - if they are not fitted the correct way round their service life is measured in milliseconds.

Made that mistake - once - with a fairly large one in a higher than average voltage circuit, 50V if I remember rightly. Power on - BANG !  Aluminium fragments all over the place, a cloud of internal insulation film, scared the pants off me !

Chris Cosgrove

#7 The-Toolman

The-Toolman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,347 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2017 - 09:56 AM

At least electrolytics are normally big enough to replace fairly easily. Just remember they are polarity conscious - if they are not fitted the correct way round their service life is measured in milliseconds.

Made that mistake - once - with a fairly large one in a higher than average voltage circuit, 50V if I remember rightly. Power on - BANG !  Aluminium fragments all over the place, a cloud of internal insulation film, scared the pants off me !

Chris Cosgrove

Tuition for the price of an education and have done that a few times.

#8 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,147 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 AM

Posted 02 August 2017 - 10:51 AM

Indeed on the tuition comment.

That being said, the old saying, "A word to the wise is sufficient," should apply with regard to Chris's warning.  My anal-retentive tendencies which require me to examine and analyze things nine ways to Sunday before actually doing anything has saved my derrière on many an occasion.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#9 The-Toolman

The-Toolman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,347 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2017 - 02:24 PM

You and me both as you "Owe IT To Yourself" to always examine and analyze all electronics prior to a repair and after a repair before applying power. :thumbsup:

I learned the hard way by grabbing up a tube amplifier and found it to be plugged in still and let me tell you that has not happened again. :nono:

#10 nehaxavier

nehaxavier

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:42 PM

Posted 04 August 2017 - 04:43 AM

Nice Thread! Useful for Science & Tech Students

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users