Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Google voice or other app for new phone #

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 huntsin2

huntsin2

• Members
  • 252 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:04 PM

Posted 29 July 2017 - 06:43 PM

Hi,

I was just reading an article that talks about how your cell phone is your new Social Security number. I have my own business and I would like to be able to use a different number than my real cell phone number on my website.

Is anyone familiar with using Google voice on the iPhone or any other similar apps?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,135 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:04 PM

Posted 29 July 2017 - 07:27 PM

I am using a Google Voice number for my business and have been doing so for a long time now.  The easiest way to carry that with you is to get the Hangouts app for the platform in question, in this case iOS, and use it.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#3 huntsin2

huntsin2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 252 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2017 - 09:05 PM

Hi britexhguy,

do you mind using it?

#4 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,135 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2017 - 09:17 PM

Well, if I minded using it I wouldn't use it.

The service works as close to flawlessly as any telecommunications service does. The added bonuses of being able to make a call to a google voice number ring through on any number of land or mobile lines you wish, getting e-mails when you've missed calls with transcriptions of the voicemail that's been left, and more are all just added bonuses.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

~ Austin O'Malley

#5 huntsin2

huntsin2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 252 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2017 - 11:41 AM

I am having trouble getting access to google voice. 

I am receiving this message "We are sorry, but you do not have access to this service. Please contact your domain administrator for access."

I also went to the manage apps section of my google account and I don't see a way to add google voice. See the below screenshot.

google_app_access.jpg

#6 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,135 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2017 - 11:59 AM

You go directly to https://voice.google.com/u/0/signup to set up a Google Voice number.  If you are already logged into any Google Service under the browser you're using the Google Voice number will probably be attached to that Google account, so make sure you're logged in with the account you want to have associated with the Google Voice number you're about to set up.   You will not have access to a service that you do not already have configured (or that Google automatically includes for you) and Google Voice is one of those services.

~ Austin O'Malley

#7 huntsin2

huntsin2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 252 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2017 - 01:33 PM

You go directly to https://voice.google.com/u/0/signup to set up a Google Voice number.  If you are already logged into any Google Service under the browser you're using the Google Voice number will probably be attached to that Google account, so make sure you're logged in with the account you want to have associated with the Google Voice number you're about to set up.   You will not have access to a service that you do not already have configured (or that Google automatically includes for you) and Google Voice is one of those services.

I clicked on the link you provided and signed in, and I'm still receiving the "We are sorry, but you do not have access to this service. Please contact your domain administrator for access."

#8 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,135 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2017 - 05:18 PM

Where are you signing in from?

This sounds like an issue either from the network you're using or similar.  Try again from somewhere else.  That, or you're in a country where Google Voice is not supported (and I was making the presumption you were in the USA or Canada).

~ Austin O'Malley

#9 huntsin2

huntsin2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 252 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2017 - 05:44 PM

If it is ok, I may try a google forum to see if someone can give me more insight.

Edited by huntsin2, 31 July 2017 - 05:45 PM.

#10 huntsin2

huntsin2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 252 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2017 - 06:08 PM

Ok, I tried using a different (new) google account, and I was able to get past the error message that I was seeing.

The reason that I was getting an error is that the initial account is affiliated with an organization.

Edited by huntsin2, 31 July 2017 - 06:21 PM.

#11 huntsin2

huntsin2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 252 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2017 - 07:40 PM

britechguy,

Just from trying out google voice I don't need to have the hangouts app open in order to answer calls, and voicemails I can check the inbox of my e-mail for.

Do you use the hangouts app to make calls, or what else do you use it for?

#12 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,135 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2017 - 08:35 PM

You do have to have the hangouts app (which is what I use under Chrome) or the Hangouts page (in other browser, hangouts.google.com) open to be able to receive or make calls on the PC.

What you get in e-mail are transcriptions of voicemail messages and a link to play same.  I find the e-mail transcriptions quite valuable but I do all of my playing of messages via Hangouts directly.

Hangouts can be used to make phone calls, video calls (via Hangouts itself), sent SMS (text messages), and to get your voicemail.   The Hangouts App coupled with the Hangouts Dialer App allow you to do the same on an Android phone (and, I'm sure, an iPhone) and run constantly in the background so that if a call comes in the device will signal you with the ringtone that you choose.  You can also set specific tones for text messages, known contacts (as opposed to random phone numbers), and other things.

As you've learned, you can only associate a Google Voice number with a Google Account over which you have full control or where the administrator has allowed it.

~ Austin O'Malley

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users