Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

General Videocard Opinion

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Londonchris

Londonchris

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:54 PM

Posted 14 September 2006 - 02:25 AM

Graphics aside, are there any pro`s / con`s between the two main brands regarding heat and noise and installation?
Is all different depending on an individual card and do you have a general opinion on this?
Does AGP or PCIe have any bearing on the result?
I need AGP so i`m more interested in this but nice to know both for future reference.
Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:54 PM

Posted 14 September 2006 - 04:51 AM

Installation wise it is a pretty much the same for all graphics cards.

Noise and heat are related, and both depend on the HSF. The kind of HSF varies between cards, there are even entirely silent cards. nVIDIA is using a smaller manufacturing process which means the cards use less power and produces less heat, so in theory a nVIDIA card is less noisy than an ATI if they both would be using the same HSF, which they of course aren't.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#3 xtatik222k

xtatik222k

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:54 PM

Posted 14 September 2006 - 07:35 AM

Also, HIS has worked with an iceQ cooler for ati cards, which works a treat. It keeps graphics cards colder than almost any other cooling option (except water of course) and is almost one of the most quiet.

#4 protozero

protozero

• Members
  • 447 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:54 PM

Posted 14 September 2006 - 06:07 PM

Also, HIS has worked with an iceQ cooler for ati cards, which works a treat. It keeps graphics cards colder than almost any other cooling option (except water of course) and is almost one of the most quiet.

Actually, water cooling doesn't really cool it that much better. It's much more qiuet though.

nVidia and ATi are bot hgood brands and are neck and neck. One month nVidia's better, one month ATI's better.

II haven't had to much hands on expericane except with my friends AGP 6600GT when it died after a few months of overclocking the hell out of it.

ATi's been doing fien for me so far.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

#5 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2006 - 06:48 PM

I've had both ATI and Nvidia, and loved them both. My old Radeon (ATI) 9500 pro is maybe 3 years old and is still running to this day...it's in my sons computer now, and he plays Battlefield 2 on it (low resolution settings) with no lag at all, even on the larger more populated maps. One thing that I think helped out a lot is that I put on an aftermarket cooling fan for it (can't remember the name of it). Back when I got it, I was told it was the single best thing I could do to help prolong the life of my card, so I put it on (it was extemely easy).

They make the aftermarket cooling fans for just about every VGA card out there, so you might want to consider buying one....just be carefull that if you do install one that it doesn't void the warranty on the card itself.

Other than that, everyone else has nailed it as far as information :thumbsup: , so I won't repeat what's already been stated :flowers: :trumpet:
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#6 Gyro

Gyro

• Members
  • 289 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2006 - 11:47 PM

When it comes to the differences between agp and pci... AGP stands for accelerated graphics port... If you want to get technical... I think pci is located on south bridge and agp is located on northbridge which is located closer to the processor and it runs essentially faster... been a while since I looked at that, but I believe that's the cause and effect. Remember that with great video cards, comes great need for better power supply.

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:54 PM

Posted 16 September 2006 - 08:09 AM

I'm an nVidia fan because I've had problems with ATI a while back (admittedly, I mixed an nVidia graphics card with an ATI TVWonder card - so it could have been either).

For AGP cards you're pretty much limited in your choices. Most manufacturers have switched to PCIe and have stopped development of AGP cards.

FWIW - the most advanced AGP card from nVidia is the GEForce 7800 GS.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 legoman786

legoman786

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:54 AM

Posted 17 September 2006 - 12:25 AM

Actually, water cooling doesn't really cool it that much better. It's much more qiuet though.

I dont mean to bash you or anything... but do you have proof that watercooling is not better than air cooling? I can tell you right now that with the right setup, you can overvolt/clock your video card and have it in the line with the CPU and keep it cooler than the stock air idle temp on water.

Edited by legoman786, 17 September 2006 - 12:26 AM.

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
- Rick Cook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users