Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can I install linux on this? What do I still need?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 frldyz

frldyz

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:39 AM

Posted 29 July 2017 - 03:05 PM

Few years back I purchased this from B.B.

HP p2-1334

AMD E1-1200 Accelerated processor

4GB DDR3

500GB HDD

AMD Radeon HD7310 Graphics ( integrated into the APU I assume, but maybe not? )

Super Multi DVD burner

Windows 8

It was less then $300.

I since have done a build but am looking to play with ( Linux virgin ) Ubuntu or Mint.

This will be an offline computer just to fool around with until Im comfortable then I will ditch Windows.

I tossed out the RAM ( stupid me ) and the HDD.

1. If I want to install Linux can it be done n this system ( whats left of it ).

2. I assume I just need to buy 4gb RAM. Any DDR3 4gb RAM will do correct?

3. Add a new HDD?

4. Since I tossed the old HDD there is no O.S on this right? So by adding a new HDD I can then install my own O.S ( Linux ) and I will be good to go correct?

5. There are 2 connections left. I assume the bigger one is for the HDD. But what does the extra SATA cable go to? Do both connections go to the HDD?

6. Or is the extra SATA connection just an extra in case I wanted to add something in the future?

Thank you everyone.

I'm looking forward to Linux

*My goal with this set-up is just buy the bare minimum that it needs then install Linux ( Ubuntu or a mint )

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,438 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2017 - 03:49 PM

You should be able to install Linux Mint 18 Xfce on it although you will need to find memory and a hard drive.

It's system specs show 4.0 gb memory so I would suggest that amount.

Any SATA hard drive 80 gb or larger will be fine.

Why did you toss out the hard drive and memory. :scratchhead:

Very unusual setup there first I've ever saw of that kind of design.

I'm grumpy because I can be not because I'm old.

The world is what you make of it, if it doesn't fit, you make alterations.

Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.  (Mark Twain)

#3 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,544 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:39 PM

Posted 29 July 2017 - 05:25 PM

Hi

If you do not have a HDD you can run something like Puppy Linux from USB stick.

Nick

Edited by NickAu, 30 July 2017 - 09:03 PM.

#4 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,408 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:39 AM

Posted 29 July 2017 - 06:29 PM

I confess, I was thinking along the same lines myself, Nick.

And then, I got to thinking; if frldyz wants to 'learn' Linux till he/she reaches the point where he/she's comfortable with it (and bearing in mind that Pup's a wee bit 'odd', even by Linux standards - I still wouldn't recommend it to a beginner), wouldn't he/she be better off going with one of the mainstream distros (Ubuntu or Mint, as was mentioned)? It would give him/her a more 'standard' grounding, which would be more immediately applicable to other distros...

I mean, you know me by now; I'm a self-confessed Puppy 'nut', through & through. But at the point where I started messing around with it, I'd already got the best part of 30-odd years of experience of running nearly every OS you can think of (and probably then some..!)

What d'you reckon?

(And BTW, I agree with The-Toolman; that is an odd setup. Looks like a small form-factor board stuck in the corner of what amounts to a full ATX case. That mobo looks lost in there..... :rolleyes:  )

Hell, whadd'ya expect? It's built by HP, ain't it?  :lol:

Mike.  :wink:

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 29 July 2017 - 06:31 PM.

Distros:- Multiple 'Puppies'..... and Anti-X 16.1

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, 3 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Logitech c920 HD Pro webcam, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz 400FSB P4, 1.5 GB RAM, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, M$ HD-3000 'Lifecam'.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#5 frldyz

frldyz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2017 - 09:43 PM

1.  You should be able to install Linux Mint 18 Xfce on it although you will need to find memory and a hard drive.

It's system specs show 4.0 gb memory so I would suggest that amount.

2.  Any SATA hard drive 80 gb or larger will be fine.

3.  Why did you toss out the hard drive and memory. :scratchhead:

4.  Very unusual setup there first I've ever saw of that kind of design.

1.  I plan to just purchase some cheap 4gb DDR3 RAM from new egg.

*I assume all DDR3 RAM sticks are universal in fit?

2.  I have a 3 year Toshiba laptop that when I bought I swapped the HD for a Samsung pro SSD.  So the laptop now has the Samsung SSD.  The HD that was in the laptop is being used as an ext. HD ( albeit it only has a couple GB's of photos on it )

*  Will the 500GB HD that I took out of the laptop connect and work on this motherboard?  Or are laptop HD differant that desktop HD's?

3.  I have absolutely no idea.  I think when I took it apart and opened I was thining one day I'd get a bigger HD and bigger faster RAM.  But this was before I knew anything about computers and had a clue.

4.  I assume your reffering to the internals and set-up of this desktop.  Like I said it came from B.B a few years back for less then $300.

* I assume the larger/taller heatsink has the CPU underneath it.  What is under that smaller heatsink?

* And what is the purpose of that battery on the mothboard?

* Is that a battery?

#6 Guest_philbo_*

Guest_philbo_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 29 July 2017 - 10:40 PM

I'd be a little careful choosing the RAM.

I have a dual-voltage DDR3L that should be compatible with my old laptop, but it won't recognize it so I had to buy an old 1.5V DDR3.

#7 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,408 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2017 - 06:21 AM

Looks like this is your mobo, here:-

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03004082

Typical shonky HP set-up; next to nothing is upgradeable, apart from the RAM. CPU's soldered down (yes, that's the AMD Fusion E450 under the big heatsink; you can tell it's the CPU by the multitude of traces running under it), and thus not upgradeable. You're kinda stuck with it.

The smaller heatsink is covering what apparently is called the Fusion Controller Hub. This is AMD tech-speak for a combined north - & south-bridge, all in one package. Not something I've seen before, but with the push towards more and more integration, and everything getting smaller & smaller, I can't really pretend to be surprised.

The coin-sized/shaped object is indeed a battery; similar to what powers many watches nowadays.....a CR2032 lithium coin battery. It typically provides the power to maintain the BIOS settings.

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, 3 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Logitech c920 HD Pro webcam, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz 400FSB P4, 1.5 GB RAM, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, M$ HD-3000 'Lifecam'.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#8 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:39 AM

Posted 30 July 2017 - 07:15 AM

For the hard drive looks like any Sata drive will do as yes a laptop drive can work in a desktop (it just might not have a bracket for it, the only difference is physical size but laptop drives are the same size as a SSD)

The desktop supports up to DDR3-1066 memory, non ECC.

32gigs is your limit, pretty fair.

Just keep in mind non ECC ram can be a bit pricey.

As for distro suggestions I personally vote of Ubuntu Mate as my fathers HP laptop is of similar specs to your desktop and Ubuntu Mate flies on it.

https://ubuntu-mate.org/download/

You may wish to do release 17.04 on it so you can upgrade it to 17.10 and from there go to 18.04 the next LTS as 16.04 is known to have a few issues on some hardware.

Just keep in mind 17.04 has a short lifespan as does 17.10 so upgrade it when both suggest going to the next release.

Then stop for 5 years under 18.04 as it will be long term support

Edited by MadmanRB, 30 July 2017 - 07:17 AM.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

#9 mandekira

mandekira

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:39 AM

Posted 30 July 2017 - 09:55 AM

You can run many Linux distro from your USB stick in case you don't have enough HDD. KALI Linux is also fine.

#10 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,096 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2017 - 11:35 AM

This is a bit premature, but I would try Linux Mint Mate 17.2 first, or once you get some hardware on it.  I doesn't appear to me that there is support for graphics on the newer Linux Distro's for that chip.  If you go with Ubuntu, use the 14.04.1, if that is still available.  

Find some cheap used RAM and a New Oldschool HDD on sale.  If you live in the city you may be able to find a better computer in the trash or a recycle center of some kind and not spend a dime, that is if you have the time and are on a budget.  Repair shops sometimes sell old pc's on Craigslist cheap.  Or go to a repair shop and see if they will sell or give you what you need.  I'm surprised they sold that computer with Windows 8 but that is there job, selling computers, that's a weak processor.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#11 frldyz

frldyz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:39 AM

Posted 30 July 2017 - 02:40 PM

Wow thanks everyone.  I got a lot of great helpful replies.

I ordered some RAM from newegg.

I purchased  https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIAB0Z5G75580

But then I read the reply from Mike_Walsh with the specs of the mobo.

The samsung I ordered:

• DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600)
  • CAS Latency 9
  • Voltage 1.5V

Btut then on the specs of the mobo:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03004082

It says:

• Single channel memory architecture
  • Two 240-pin DDR3 UDIMM sockets
  • Supports the following:
    • PC3-6400 (DDR3-800)
    • PC3-8500 (DDR3-1066)
  • Non-ECC memory only, unbuffered
  • Supports up to 4 GB on 32-bit* systems
  • Supports up to 32 GB on 64-bit systems (with 16 GB DIMMs)
So will the samsung I ordered not work?

• DDR3 1066 (PC3 8500)
  • Timing 7-7-7-21
  • CAS Latency 7
  • Voltage 1.5V

The samsung does not meet the specs but the Mushkin does.  Will I need to return the samsung?

#12 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,438 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2017 - 04:20 PM

Hey fridyz,

Since you ordered them and they are on the way go ahead and give them a try as there is a good chance that they may work.

Most memory is backward compatible and works without problems.

I use what ever memory I have on hand pulled from computers I grab from trash piles along the roadside.

Yes it is best to buy matched pairs although bastard memory sticks work fine without any problems.

You can't mix non ecc memory with ecc memory. :nono:

Whatever type of hard drive you have laying around as already mentioned should work fine as long as all connectors match up and fit.

The Toolman :thumbup2:

I'm grumpy because I can be not because I'm old.

The world is what you make of it, if it doesn't fit, you make alterations.

Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.  (Mark Twain)

#13 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,408 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2017 - 05:34 PM

Hi, frldyz.

Once again, I find myself agreeing with The-Toolman. You would be astounded at what a 'powerhouse' of a Linux machine you can cobble together out of what other folks consider odds & ends only fit for recycling.

Yes, like with Windows, it'll run magnificently on a carefully selected, painstakingly put-together 'home build' assembled with the very best of everything available. Madman's & Cat1092's systems are proof of that.

But the truly jaw-dropping thing about Linux is that, due to the all-encompassing support provided by the kernel, you can achieve pretty similar results by chucking a collection of other folk's 'throw-outs' together.....just make sure that the necessary specs match up. And the sweetest thing about this whole deal is that you can often do this for the average cost of, say, one single top-end item; a decent graphics card, or a top-end SSD. You can put your entire Linux system together for less than that, and still have change left over.....and by being selective about the distro you run on it, a good lightweight Linux OS will fly on hardware where your average Windoze set-up would really struggle.

The-Toolman & I both run 'old clunkers', often assembled from bits'n'pieces we get from wherever we can. And by running suitably lightweight distros, they still provide very good performance.....because Linux is intelligently constructed, to make the most out of whatever hardware you happen to be using. Unlike a certain Redmond-based corporation's products.

Makes you wonder why people bother with Windoze, it really does.....

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 30 July 2017 - 05:45 PM.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users