Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No Sound

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 SolusUmbra

SolusUmbra

• Members
  • 138 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:21 AM

Posted 29 July 2017 - 02:51 PM

Well... I had sound then accidentally clicked on the mult sound card button and no longer had any sound. Tried to restart but that didn't work. Tried a few other things that I think just made things worse, now I no longer have the sound icon on my taskbar. I totally love migraines.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SolusUmbra

SolusUmbra
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 138 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2017 - 05:01 PM

I got the icon back on the taskbar but nothing works. No sliders listed in the hardware tab.

#3 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,395 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:21 PM

Posted 29 July 2017 - 05:22 PM

Hi

What distro are you running?

Regards

Nick

#4 SolusUmbra

SolusUmbra
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 138 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2017 - 05:27 PM

Oh my gosh.. sorry

I'm running puppy linux tahrpup 6.0.5

Retrovol is the program that has the hardware tab with no sliders listed.

#5 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,389 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:21 PM

Posted 30 July 2017 - 06:37 AM

Hi, Solus Umbra.

Heh; I forgot we helped you out with installing this one a while back.

So; you're experiencing the disappearing sound card scenario, are you? This is more common than you'd think, actually. It's not something I've experienced myself, but there's plenty of threads about this on the Murga forums.

Coupla questions, if I may? (And then I'll hop off and do a quick bit of revision. I think I know the answer to this one, but I need to confirm it.....I dislike giving crap advice.)

1 ) What are you running Pup from; hard drive, USB or live CD/DVD?

2 ) What file-system did you format the above in, before installing?

3 ) Finally, are you using a save-file.....or a save-folder?

Let me have the info from the above questions, and then I'll see how it ties in with what I know.

Mike.  :wink:

Distros:- Multiple 'Puppies'..... and Anti-X 16.1

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, 3 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Logitech c920 HD Pro webcam, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz 400FSB P4, 1.5 GB RAM, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, M$ HD-3000 'Lifecam'.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#6 SolusUmbra

SolusUmbra
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 138 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2017 - 06:58 AM

Oh ok lets see...

1 ) What are you running Pup from; hard drive, USB or live CD/DVD?  Hard Drive

2 ) What file-system did you format the above in, before installing? HAHA Can't remember, on a different computer at the moment...

3 ) Finally, are you using a save-file.....or a save-folder? .... I haven't a clue about this one. What am I trying to save?

Hi, Solus Umbra.

Heh; I forgot we helped you out with installing this one a while back.

So; you're experiencing the disappearing sound card scenario, are you? This is more common than you'd think, actually. It's not something I've experienced myself, but there's plenty of threads about this on the Murga forums.

Coupla questions, if I may? (And then I'll hop off and do a quick bit of revision. I think I know the answer to this one, but I need to confirm it.....I dislike giving crap advice.)

1 ) What are you running Pup from; hard drive, USB or live CD/DVD?

2 ) What file-system did you format the above in, before installing?

3 ) Finally, are you using a save-file.....or a save-folder?

Let me have the info from the above questions, and then I'll see how it ties in with what I know.

#7 SolusUmbra

SolusUmbra
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 138 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2017 - 07:02 AM

Looks like I used ext4

#8 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,389 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2017 - 07:07 AM

When you get a chance, look in /mnt/home (or just click on the partition at the bottom of the desktop where your Tahrpup install is). You're looking for the file that's called tahrsave-something or other. If you can let me know exactly what that file is called, I can identify whether it's a save-file or a save-folder.

The save-file or save-folder is where Puppy saves your settings at the end of every session. You should have been asked to create this at the end of your very first session with Pup, immediately before shut-down.

Ext4 is traditionally used for a full install. Did you do a full install, or, as is normally recommended, a 'frugal' one?

One other point. When you say you accidentally hit the multi-soundcard wizard thingy, do you remember exactly what you did do?

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 30 July 2017 - 07:10 AM.

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, 3 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Logitech c920 HD Pro webcam, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz 400FSB P4, 1.5 GB RAM, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, M$ HD-3000 'Lifecam'.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#9 SolusUmbra

SolusUmbra
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 138 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2017 - 07:15 AM

Ok so I took a fast look before my battery went dead and I couldn't find the tahrsave file. When I had clicked on the multi-soundcard wizard thingy it said something like nothing could be found.

#10 SolusUmbra

SolusUmbra
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 138 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2017 - 07:59 AM

Just for the heck of it I booted from CD and the sound works just fine. Do I need to do a reinstall?

#11 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,389 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2017 - 08:25 AM

Mm. Sounds like you've done a 'full' install of Pup. Tell you what; just so I can confirm this, if you get the chance, will you open up your Tahrpup partition by clicking on it, then take a screenshot of that window.....and post it here, please?

This is the main reason we tend to advise against the 'full' install, where Puppy's concerned.....because the 'full' install is next to impossible to repair when it goes wrong. The frugal is so very much simpler; you just create a new save-file/folder, having deleted the old one.

Just refresh my memory, please. What are the specs of the machine you have Tahrpup installed on? Primarily, I need to know the amount of RAM it has.

Do I need to do a re-install?

It's looking rather like that would be the quickest way to restore things. You already know how quickly Pup installs. I would suggest you go for the 'frugal' install this time; it's what most of us use. Frugal does not mean a 'poor man's version', without all the bells & whistles.....as some beginners seem to think! It simply refers to the amount of space Pup occupies on your disk/partition, as the 'frugal' Pup consists of 3 or 4 compressed, 'read-only' files, which decompress into RAM at boot.

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 30 July 2017 - 08:31 AM.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#12 SolusUmbra

SolusUmbra
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 138 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2017 - 08:31 AM

Well here is the second half

CPU = Intel Celeron M 520 @ 1.60GHz

Ram = 512MB Single-Channel DDR2 @ 266MHz

Motherboard = Gateway

Graphics = Intel 945GM Express Chipset

and how to do i take screen shots?

#13 SolusUmbra

SolusUmbra
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 138 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2017 - 08:34 AM

Ok I got the screen shot taken just have to upload it...

#14 SolusUmbra

SolusUmbra
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 138 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2017 - 08:47 AM

https://flic.kr/p/WDECkq

#15 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,389 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2017 - 02:01 PM

Hm. O-kay.

As I thought; a 'full' install. No harm, no foul. We do recommend this for seriously 'RAM-challenged' machines, because Puppy needs a minimum amount of RAM for the frugal files to de-compress into.

That's why there's no save-file/folder..!

From the look of things, Pup's not detecting your sound card. That's why there's nothing showing in the multiple sound card wizard; even if there's only the one, single source, it'll still show up in the wizard.

Before we go any further, try this, and see what happens.

Open a terminal, and type in

aplay -l

...and hit 'Enter'. That last is a small 'L', not a 1. This should list all sound devices on your hardware. Copy the output, please, and post it back here.

(To do this with Puppy's Urxvt terminal, just highlight the text. Don't do anything else. Then, in your post, position the cursor, and middle-click with the mouse. That's how you copy/paste with Pup's terminal..! Not very intuitive, I admit.....but we're kinda stuck with it. I believe you can install alternative terminals if you want to, although I've never bothered, personally.)

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 30 July 2017 - 02:02 PM.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users