Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New AMD Ryzen build giving me errors and totally unstable

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Loonmario

Loonmario

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:30 PM

Posted 29 July 2017 - 02:51 PM

The system is totally unstable.  I keep getting these errors:

Clock_Watchdog_Timeout

DPC_Watchdog_Violation

and just general instability.

I've tried moving around sticks of ram.  The cpu is at 39 degress Idle.  The ram shows up as 2400 in the bios like it's supposed to.  The video card is a known good video card.  I'm at my wits end.  Any thoughts?  I'm getting ready to return this stuff.  I knew I should have gone with an Intel setup.  I have an Intel computer with Windows 10 Pro and the same power supply (Seasonic 620 watt) and never had a problem.

Windows 10 Pro

GIGABYTE GA-AB350-GAMING 3 (rev. 1.0) AM4 AMD B350 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128991

G.SKILL FORTIS Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2400 (PC4 19200) AMD X370 / B350 / A320 Memory (Desktop Memory) Model F4-2400C15D-16GFT

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820232546

AMD RYZEN 5 1400 4-Core 3.2 GHz (3.4 GHz Turbo) Socket AM4 65W YD1400BBAEBOX Desktop Processor

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819113437&cm_re=ryzen_1400-_-19-113-437-_-Product

Edited by hamluis, 29 July 2017 - 05:46 PM.
Moved from Buying New to Building/Upgrading - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 HyperHenry

HyperHenry

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2017 - 03:24 PM

Hi Loonmario. Has your computer done this since it was new or is it something that just started happening? If it ran well at first you might want to try doing a system restore to before the problems happened. If it's done it since it was new we need to do more troubleshooting. The second error you're getting is due to incompatible drivers and is common with Windows 10. This is the reason I reverted to Windows 8.1.

#3 Loonmario

Loonmario
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2017 - 03:38 PM

The parts are new.  Started happening immediately.  I updated the bios on the motherboard.  There are a couple parts from my old computer that worked fine before (Crucial SSD, Asus BD-ROM, XFX Radeon RX 460).

I can barely get through a new Windows 10 pro install.  Took several tries.  The computer would also freeze up at random times.  When I tried downloading an AMD video card driver and extracting,  the extracting took forever then it froze up.

Edited by Loonmario, 29 July 2017 - 04:06 PM.

#4 HyperHenry

HyperHenry

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2017 - 04:56 PM

As it's likely your dealing with driver issues I'd go to the websites of the manufacturers of your components and download the latest drivers. I'd suggest trying to do this in safe mode with networking. To do this restart your computer. When the login page comes up press shift and click the power button, at the choose an option screen choose troubleshoot At the Troubleshoot screen choose Advanced Options. At the next screen you want to select Startup Settings. At the next screen click the Restart button. Then you will click Option 5, Enable Safe Mode With Networking. From there you log in as usual. It's a lot of steps but I think you'll have less trouble if you're able do it this way. Good luck.

#5 Loonmario

Loonmario
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2017 - 03:33 AM

You're right, it was the drivers and windows update.  After many errors I finally got every driver installed.  Also, windows update took forever but it finally completed all the updates.  I need to do more stress testing but my computer runs perfectly now.  I never had so much trouble installing previous versions of Windows.  What a headache but it paid off.  Thanks again!

#6 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:30 PM

Posted 30 July 2017 - 07:20 AM

Well to be fair to AMD its a new processor line so bugs are bound to happen, had a few bugs here on my Ryzen build but they were ironed out quickly.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#7 Loonmario

Loonmario
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2017 - 09:15 AM

Well to be fair to AMD its a new processor line so bugs are bound to happen, had a few bugs here on my Ryzen build but they were ironed out quickly.

What kind of bugs did you have if you don't mind?  I'm just curious if it was similar to mine such as the Watchdog errors.

#8 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:30 PM

Posted 30 July 2017 - 09:40 AM

Freezing, stuttering, overheating.

Those issues ironed themselves out in a month of the build

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.