Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Random, frequent shut-downs

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 MrBrownBottom

MrBrownBottom

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:26 AM

Posted 29 July 2017 - 02:22 PM

Hello,

My computer started shutting down suddenly for no apparent reason recently, and it has gotten worse. I opened the case and blew it out with canned air, and then it wouldn't start at all. Oddly, the power supply died when I did that. After replacing it I still had the same problem. The local computer shop said they changed some settings that the Windows Creators update instituted, and said I'd be good to go. Not so much, just as bad. I ended up reinstalling Windows, which got rid of all my programs, but kept my data. Still having the problem. So it can't be any rogue programs. 

It only happens when the computer is forced to do something. When idle, it will stay on. I did a major file transfer from the hard drive to an external hard drive - shut down. I ran a speed test through the USB wireless adapter - shut down. Same thing when I used a hard wired ethernet connection, with all other devices disconnected. I think I've eliminated all external devices, and software issues. Is the motherboard bad? Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 HyperHenry

HyperHenry

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 AM

Posted 29 July 2017 - 03:15 PM

Are we talking about a laptop or a desktop computer? Honestly it still sounds like a power supply problem.

#3 MrBrownBottom

MrBrownBottom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2017 - 07:42 PM

Are we talking about a laptop or a desktop computer? Honestly it still sounds like a power supply problem.

#4 MrBrownBottom

MrBrownBottom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2017 - 07:45 PM

It's a desktop. I agree it sounds like a power problem, but I wrote that off since they said they replaced it. I'll try replacing it myself and see what happens. Could the power socket on the MB be suspect?

#5 HyperHenry

HyperHenry

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2017 - 08:23 PM

At this point anything is possible. When you can please download Speccy https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/speccy/. This will show us a lot about the condition of your hardware. When you run it click file and post a snapshot. this will give you a link to post here.

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2017 - 05:58 AM

Let's try looking at these 2 sets of reports:

Report Set #1)  Please run this report collecting tool (even though you may not be experiencing BSOD's) so that we can provide a complete analysis: (from the pinned topic at the top of the forum)   http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/576314/blue-screen-of-death-bsod-posting-instructions-windows-10-81-8-7-vista/
FYI - I don't often use the Perfmon report, so if it doesn't work please just let me know.

If you have problems with it running it, there's an alternate tool here (direct download link):  https://github.com/blueelvis/BSOD-Inspector/releases/download/1.0.5/BSODInspector-1.0.5.exe

NOTE:
Please zip up the (.ZIP) files - do not use .RAR or other compression utilities. 
.ZIP is the type file that can be uploaded to the forums.

Report Set #2)  Please do the following:
- open Event Viewer (run eventvwr.msc from the "Run" dialog)
- expand the Custom Views category (left click on the > next to the words "Custom Views")
- right click on the "Administrative Events" heading
- select "Save all Events in Custom View as..."
- save the file as Admin.evtx
- zip up the file (right click on it, select "Send to", select "Compressed (zipped) folder")
- upload it with your next post (if it's too big, then upload it to a free file-hosting service and post a link here).

FYI - If we're looking for Event ID 41 errors (unexplained shutdowns), there's more info on that here:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2028504

While waiting for a reply, please monitor your temps with this free utility: 

SpeedFan v. 4.5.1 and later (free from here:  http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php ) can log temperatures in a CSV file:
You may not need to log temps - if uncertain, please ask.

To make it work (log the temps to a file) you have to do BOTH of the below:

1. Enable logging in general: Configure...Log...check "Enabled" then click on OK to save.

2. Enable logging for specific checks: Configure...Temperatures..left click on each sensor, then click on "Logged" at the bottom of the Window (for our purposes we want them all) then once you've selected "Logged" for all sensors, then click on OK to save.

The log will be located at C:\Program Files (x86)\SpeedFan

Naming: log files are named SFLogYYYYMMDD.csv, where YYYY is the year (four digits), MM is the month (2 digits, zero padded) and DD is the day (2 digits, zero padded). If a file already exists by that name, the file that already exists is renamed according to the following naming scheme: SFLogYYYYMMDD-CCCC.csv, where CCCC is a increasing number. The new file is then created with the standard file name scheme.

Notes: whenever you change the options related with logging, SpeedFan starts a new log file.

NOTE:You may want to turn logging off when we're done - as I don't know it's impact on performance or on the system.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 MrBrownBottom

MrBrownBottom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2017 - 08:07 PM

Ok, here's the speccy report:

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/C77yeGPXAMxPglvQwR2dCjd

Looks like my cpu is very hot. Opened the machine to verify the fan is on, it is.

#8 HyperHenry

HyperHenry

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2017 - 08:27 PM

Your CPU is very hot. Please run the tests USASMA requested as well. He's a professional which I am not.

#9 MrBrownBottom

MrBrownBottom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2017 - 08:53 PM

Hello and thank you USASMA! Attached are the reports you requested. After noticing in speccy that the cpu was very hot, I left the cover off the tower and laid the tower on its side to let the heat escape out the top. The temp is now sitting at 60 degrees C, and I've been using the machine without any shutoffs for a while now. I'll investigate the other info you posted while waiting for your assessment. Thanks again!

Attached Files

#10 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2017 - 07:34 AM

It is important that you fix the temperature issue immediately.  Having a CPU running at 97ºC isn't good for it and it can cause damage to the CPU (and premature failure).

This includes:

- checking to ensure that there is adequate thermal compound between the CPU and it's cooler (but not too much, as that can cause many problems on it's own).

- checking to ensure that the cooler is firmly mounted to the CPU

- checking to make sure that the cooler is free of dirt/dust/hairballs/etc

- checking to make sure that the fan is blowing air into the cooler (and that the fan is working)

- checking to make sure that the system isn't blowing hot air into the fan for the cooler

Beyond that, if problems continue post over in the Internal Hardware forums for more expert assistance:    http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/7/internal-hardware/ 

Once that's done, post back here if the problems continue.

Your UEFI/BIOS (version 0403) dates from 2011.  Please check at the manufacturer's website to see if there are any UEFI/BIOS updates available for your system.  If you are able to install the update through Windows (without booting from an external drive), then go ahead and update it.  WARNING - if the computer might shut down during this procedure, please don't do it, as this may physically damage the computer and prevent it from booting.
FYI - W8 and W10 communicate more with the UEFI/BIOS than previous versions of Windows, so it's important to ensure that the UEFI/BIOS is kept up to date (and the outdated UEFI/BIOS' may be the cause of some compatibility issues).

Although you appear to have a reasonable number of Windows Update hotfixes for this version of your OS, please double check for any new Windows Updates.  It only takes one update to cause a problem, so it's essential that you have all of them.  The actual number is not important.  Rather it's important that you checked manually, installed any available updates, and didn't experience any errors when checking or updating.

This device has problems in Device Manager:

PCI Device    PCI\VEN_1814&DEV_0001&SUBSYS_00321737&REV_01\4&B244743&0&08F0    The drivers for this device are not installed.

There is very little info on this device.  The driver is from a company named RaLink, so I suspect it's some sort of communications device.

There is a hint that it's a 56k modem in one of the links - but that's not definite.

If you do have a 56k modem, please physically remove the device from your system (taking proper anti-static precautions while doing so).

The memory dump is also likely to be a hardware problem (?maybe due to the overheating?)

As such, please wait to see if fixing the overheating problem fixes your issues.

Analysis:
The following is for information purposes only.
The following information contains the relevant information from the blue screen analysis:
**************************Sun Jul 30 00:59:28.381 2017 (UTC - 4:00)**************************
Loading Dump File [C:\Users\john\SysnativeBSODApps\073017-17265-01.dmp]
Windows 10 Kernel Version 15063 MP (4 procs) Free x64
Built by: 15063.0.amd64fre.rs2_release.170317-1834
System Uptime:0 days 8:40:28.396
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for win32k.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for win32k.sys
Probably caused by :memory_corruption
BugCheck A0, {c, ffffffffc0000001, ffffaf0ed0ee22d0, 0}
BugCheck Info: INTERNAL_POWER_ERROR (a0)
Arguments:
Arg1: 000000000000000c, Dump stack failed to initialize.
Arg2: ffffffffc0000001, Status code
Arg3: ffffaf0ed0ee22d0, Address of the dump stack context
Arg4: 0000000000000000
BUGCHECK_STR:  0xa0_c
PROCESS_NAME:  System
FAILURE_BUCKET_ID: MEMORY_CORRUPTION_LARGE
CPUID:        "Intel® Core™2 Quad CPU    Q9400  @ 2.66GHz"
MaxSpeed:     2660
CurrentSpeed: 2667
  BIOS Version                  0403   
  BIOS Release Date             01/17/2011
  Manufacturer                  System manufacturer
  Baseboard Manufacturer        ASUSTeK Computer INC.
  Product Name                  System Product Name
  Baseboard Product             P5G41T-M LX PLUS
¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨``

3rd Party Drivers:
The following is for information purposes only.
My recommendations were given above. The drivers that follow belong to software or devices that were not developed by Microsoft.  You can find links to the driver information and where to update the drivers in the section after the code box:

**************************Sun Jul 30 00:59:28.381 2017 (UTC - 4:00)**************************
intelide.sys                Sun Dec  7 00:16:35 2008 (493B5C33)
igdkmd64.sys                Fri Mar 23 14:13:22 2012 (4F6CBD42)
ASACPI.sys                  Thu Nov  1 21:54:34 2012 (509327DA)
MpKsl99095e7f.sys           Tue May 19 21:50:37 2015 (555BE86D)
RTKVHD64.sys                Wed Jul 29 07:59:49 2015 (55B8C035)
rt640x64.sys                Wed Oct  5 09:32:55 2016 (57F50107)
intelppm.sys                ***** Invalid 2007 Invalid 2007 Invalid
SleepStudyHelper.sys        ***** Invalid 2023 Invalid 2023 Invalid

http://www.carrona.org/drivers/driver.php?id=intelide.sys
http://www.carrona.org/drivers/driver.php?id=igdkmd64.sys
http://www.carrona.org/drivers/driver.php?id=ASACPI.sys
MpKsl99095e7f.sys - this driver hasn't been added to the DRT as of this run. Please search Google/Bing for the driver if additional information is needed.
http://www.carrona.org/drivers/driver.php?id=RTKVHD64.sys
http://www.carrona.org/drivers/driver.php?id=rt640x64.sys
http://www.carrona.org/drivers/driver.php?id=intelppm.sys
SleepStudyHelper.sys - this driver hasn't been added to the DRT as of this run. Please search Google/Bing for the driver if additional information is needed.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users