Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

unpuxworker

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 RbtCmpt

RbtCmpt

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:09 AM

Posted 29 July 2017 - 02:01 PM

unpuxworker wants to install as apparently (maybe) a part of Windows 10 update. No clue as to what this is, what it does, or what it's for.

A few minutes later, "we bumped into a problem". This sounds like a typical Microsoft vaguely worded reference to gawd knows what.

Wow! How does anyone put up with MS anymore?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,428 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:09 PM

Posted 29 July 2017 - 04:39 PM

'Unpuxworker'.  This had me going as well as I have never heard the word, so I Googled it. The only reference Google gave was as a word used once as the solution to a clue in the New York Times crossword, apparently meaning 'An unpaid factory worker'. Remind me not to try their crossword, it's above my pay grade !

I am no wiser than you about what this could possibly have to do with a Windows update. Unless it raises its ugly head again I wouldn't worry about it.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:09 AM

Posted 29 July 2017 - 05:10 PM

Chris...try this...unpuxworker - Google Search  and this #12

Looks like a legit Windows 10 file

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#4 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,474 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:09 AM

Posted 29 July 2017 - 05:17 PM

This came up on one of the blind technology forums I participate on as well.  While this thing has been identified as a MS file no one has, as yet, been able to give any detailed information regarding what it does.

Brian AKA Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

In a modern society where everyone thinks their opinion deserves to be heard nothing annoys me more than individuals who mistake their personal preferences for fact.

~ Commenter TheCruyffGurn on the The Guardian website, 8/13/2014

#5 RbtCmpt

RbtCmpt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:09 AM

Posted 29 July 2017 - 05:20 PM

So maybe this is a clue to a new crossword that MS is comin out with? What a deal! ;-()

After reading all the cryptic google results and some here, It's still a mystery.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users