Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

OneDrive update is required - real or bogus?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 RbtCmpt

RbtCmpt

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:24 PM

Posted 29 July 2017 - 12:55 PM

I grabbed this question from a Microsoft board, as I have the same question. It was unbelievably (and typically microsoftishly) answered quite a few times with what seemed like evasive, ambiguous, and sometimes shady answers.

Any input?

I started receiving a popup every time I turn the computer on stating that MS OneDrive needs to be updated. I always clicked cancel as it did not seem legit to me but I actually hit update once by mistake and upon doing so it opens up a browser and it tries to open/download OneDriveSetup.exe from https://oneclient.sfx.ms. I have screen shots from the original popup and the resulting popup if I hit update below. I tried searching for some information online but could not find anything. Is this legit or is it just some malware/Trojan?

Edited by RbtCmpt, 29 July 2017 - 01:00 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,939 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2017 - 01:20 PM

Sounds very fake to me. Do not do it. Run some malware scans on your system.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#3 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,315 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:24 PM

Posted 29 July 2017 - 01:25 PM

OneDrive Updates come exclusively through Windows Update as it is a part of Windows 10.

Any other source and it's the road to infection and madness.  Run your favorite antimalware/antispyware/antijunkware/antiadware scanner(s) pronto.  Thank heaven you didn't continue any further than you did.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Presenting the willfully ignorant with facts is the very definition of casting pearls before swine.

~ Brian Vogel

#4 RbtCmpt

RbtCmpt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2017 - 01:35 PM

Thanks! I read further on the MS site, and some say it's legit. Is Windows worth going through all this?!

And then a tech friend who works in Silicon Valley once told me that the 'antimalware/antispyware/antijunkware/antiadware scanner(s)' are malware themselves.

Edited by RbtCmpt, 29 July 2017 - 01:38 PM.

#5 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,128 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:24 AM

Posted 29 July 2017 - 01:53 PM

Hi,

The prompt is legit but I don't know the source of the problem OneDrive is suppose to auto update...

If you are running the latest Windows 10 edition (Creators Update) and you don't use OneDrive its possible to remove the program check this guide: http://pureinfotech.com/uninstall-onedrive-windows-10

The link you post lead to the legit page to download the OneDrive installer https://onedrive.live.com/about/en-us/download/ because Microsoft did some changes to allow the removal of the program maybe they also updated the installer to work on Windows 10.

On that page the System Requirements for the OneDrive desktop sync include:

Operating system: 32- or 64-bit version of Windows 10

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#6 dhagerjohns

dhagerjohns

• Members
  • 158 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2017 - 08:04 AM

This update is definitely legitimate.

#7 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,702 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:24 PM

Posted 01 August 2017 - 09:14 AM

a tech friend who works in Silicon Valley once told me that the 'antimalware/antispyware/antijunkware/antiadware scanner(s)' are malware themselves.

Well I wouldn't count on that advice when it comes to legitimate programs.

#8 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,461 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:24 PM

Posted 01 August 2017 - 03:41 PM

If you're talking about the blue notification that pops up shortly after you sign in, yes it is legitimate.  However, if you're not using OneDrive I recommend disabling it.

To disable:  Open Task Manager, More details, Startup, Select Microsoft OneDrive and press Disable button.  Restart your machine and you won't receive the message and the little OneDrive cloud in your task bar will be gone.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users