Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Several Issues that seem to have started with Windows Update...

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Gammy17

Gammy17

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:59 AM

Posted 29 July 2017 - 11:53 AM

Hi, as the title states I am having several issues and I have tried many fixes to no avail.  I'm not sure where to start anymore because I don't remember what went wrong first...so, I'll start with:

Dell Latitude e6400 - Windows 7 Pro SP1 (original OS was Vista)

(This laptop was a donation in a benefit for my husband, it's been working perfectly for the last 2 years until the most recent updates)

Windows Update wants me to restart my computer so it can install updates.....and it's been asking the same thing for several days and probably 100 restarts so far - I've followed all suggestions except to reinstall Windows 7.

When I try to Turn Windows Features On or Off all I get is a blank screen

Did a Full Scan with Malicious Software Removal Tool, but about 3/4 or more of the way through it shuts down and reboots.....  It did say it found 44 corrupt files *that the quick scan did not find....  But since it restarts before it's finished (I've run 3 times now) it isn't  fixing them.

It seems like there are a couple more but after a week of messing with this thing, I can't remember anymore.  Now, I have recently learned that allowing a security program to "clean my registry" is NOT a good thing to do, unfortunately I found this out after the fact...

The reason I have not done a clean reinstall is because I don't have the disks (but i DO have the Product Key) and I've gone to Microsoft site for the free replacement but once I enter my Key it tells me to go to Dell, since it's their computer.  So I go to Dell and they tell me the computer is no longer under Warranty, ,therefore they don't give a rat's behind and to go as Microsoft...  Well, both parents say it's ok if the other agrees, yet no one will give me what I need....so I am open to suggestions or a legit site WITH instructions on how to install a copy of Windows 7 Pro.

Any help is greatly appreciated and I do thank you in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 malwaredpc

malwaredpc

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:59 PM

Posted 29 July 2017 - 12:48 PM

Registry cleaners are not good neither bad. They are just a placebo, a risky placebo to screwthings ocasionally.

You can restore to a previous point and see what happens. Before that  I suggest you to run the following commands in CLI as Admin priviledge:

SFC /SCANNOW

CHKDSK /F /R C:

You can download almost any ISO of Windows, it will ask you about your key at installation time. It won't be validated, but it will be surely accepted and probably Windows activated, at least for a  period of time. I suggest you to try Linux out.

Edited by malwaredpc, 29 July 2017 - 12:54 PM.

#3 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,209 posts
  •  
  • Location:Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital, Beelitz, Germany
  • Local time:02:59 PM

Posted 29 July 2017 - 01:22 PM

NEVER use a registry cleaner of any type, doesn't matter who makes it,

what type of brand/product were you using to do this?

what type of anti-virus software are you using? if any?

if you have a valid product key you dont need to download windows from microsoft, you can download it elsewhere and use your product key, so doing a reinstall of windows is still possible if you wish to go that route and it wont cost you anything, you can create your own install USB stick or CD for free,

the first thing i would recommend is trying a system restore to a date previous of when your problems occurred

Edited by mikey11, 29 July 2017 - 01:24 PM.

#4 Gammy17

Gammy17
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2017 - 03:06 PM

It was either Avast or AVG, but not 100% which one.  I am currently using Microsoft Security Essentials as my virus software.  I did find a site that i can create a USB ISO, I'm just not real sure about what I do.  I know I need to create a bootable USB, and I've selected Rufus, but when I download the ISO, where do I download to?  My system will no longer allow me to create restore points....that's another issue I forgot to list.

Thank you

#5 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,209 posts
  •  
  • Location:Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital, Beelitz, Germany
  • Local time:02:59 PM

Posted 29 July 2017 - 03:14 PM

It was either Avast or AVG, but not 100% which one.  I am currently using Microsoft Security Essentials as my virus software.  I did find a site that i can create a USB ISO, I'm just not real sure about what I do.  I know I need to create a bootable USB, and I've selected Rufus, but when I download the ISO, where do I download to?  My system will no longer allow me to create restore points....that's another issue I forgot to list.

Thank you

download the windows install ISO to anywhere on your computer, just make sure you know where it is.....its probably easiest to download it to your desktop,

then download the Rufus software if you have not already done so,

install your USB stick into a USB port,

double click the Rufus exe file/software,

select your ISO file from the destop that you downloaded

do u know what version of window7 you have?....and is it 32 or 64 bit?

you need to download and install the exact same version or your product key will not work

start button > right click on computer > properties

that info should be there

Edited by mikey11, 29 July 2017 - 03:19 PM.

#6 Gammy17

Gammy17
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2017 - 04:39 PM

Awesome, that's what I thought but I was apprehensive about just going through with it without confirmation.  I can't afford to screw this computer up anymore.  Ok, well I'm about to reinstall, wish me luck!!  I'll update if my computer survives!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users