Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My laptop won't display and I think it could be the RAM

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Darren12645

Darren12645

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2017 - 10:19 AM

My laptop won't display and I think it could be the RAM

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Darren12645

Darren12645
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2017 - 10:23 AM

I have been trying to get this laptop to work for a while it is an Acer E1-751 everything works fine except it does not post I have tried putting the ram in the other slot but still I have no post. I think it could be the RAM but before I buy new RAM I want to know that is really the problem so please tell me your opinion and if it could be something else or that I should try something else

#3 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 6,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:41 PM

Posted 29 July 2017 - 10:25 AM

You are going to have to be a lot more specific about what is (or is not) going on before anyone can help you.

A good starting point, provide the answers for as many of the following as you can:

· System Manufacturer
          · Exact model number (if laptop, check the label on bottom)
        · OS - Windows 10, 8.1, 8, 7, or Vista?  If Windows 10, please include the Version number and Build Number.
                  Under Windows 10, to obtain this information hit the Windows Key, type "winver", hit Enter.
        · x86 (32-bit) or x64 (64-bit)?
        · What was original installed OS on system?
        · Is the OS an OEM version (came pre-installed on system) or full retail version (YOU purchased it from retailer)?
        · Age of the computer (hardware)
        · Age of OS installation - and whether you have re-installed the OS

· Laptop or Desktop computer?
               · CPU
               · Video Card
                 If Desktop please also include:
                      · MotherBoard
                      · Power Supply - brand & wattage

I also do not understand how one can say that "everything works fine except it does not POST".  If it doesn't get through POST or at least provide you with some indication of why POST is failing then it's going to be very difficult to move further without a lot of guessing.

Edited by britechguy, 29 July 2017 - 10:31 AM.
Added comment about POST, also merged two duplicate topics into this one

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (my website address is in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete.  If you’re alive, it isn’t.
             ~ Lauren Bacall

#4 Darren12645

Darren12645
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2017 - 10:32 AM

It is a laptop and is running windows 10 the serial number is NXM09EA04230408E721601 and the brand is a Acer E1-751

#5 Darren12645

Darren12645
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2017 - 10:33 AM

Oh and it is not the OEM operating system that was windows 8.1

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,278 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:41 AM

Posted 29 July 2017 - 11:02 AM

I had realized that you wouldn't be able to fun the Speccy since this computer won't boot and had thought that I had deleted the suggestion.  I got side tracked and forgot to delete this suggestion.  The only way we are going to get this information is if you post this for us.

Edited by dc3, 29 July 2017 - 11:40 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 Darren12645

Darren12645
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2017 - 11:38 AM

I unfortunately the screen does not display anything

#8 britechguy

britechguy

• 6,871 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2017 - 11:41 AM

Does it power up in any way?   Are you getting any sort of beeping sound before it "fails to proceed" or anything at all flashing on the screen, even momentarily?

We're still struggling in the dark here and every shred of information you can provide about what the computer is and is not doing (that you'd expect it should) before it reaches its black screen steady state is important.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (my website address is in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete.  If you’re alive, it isn’t.
             ~ Lauren Bacall

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,278 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:41 AM

Posted 29 July 2017 - 11:46 AM

Darren12645

Please note that I edited the content of my text in post #6.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#10 malwaredpc

malwaredpc

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:41 AM

Posted 29 July 2017 - 01:40 PM

"everything works fine except it does not post" What? lol This world is wonderful.

Does it show anything? Does it makes any sound? Do any led light up? Any beep sound?

We can't diagnosed something with no information at all nd it makes everything more complicated being a laptop and we are thru Internet... I prefer to bet Ali would win the fight in Conor McGregor vs Maywhether.

#11 Darren12645

Darren12645
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2017 - 05:54 PM

Sorry that I did not clarify basically what happens is that when I turn it on the charging and power light comes on the fan starts up and the herd drive but the screen displays abuslutly nothing unfortunately the laptop was dropped before as well I have tried connecting it to a external display but still nothing at all shows on the display

#12 Darren12645

Darren12645
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2017 - 05:55 PM

Oh and there is no motherboard speaker so no sound play

#13 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,226 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 PM

Posted 29 July 2017 - 06:35 PM

Given that this laptop has probably been dropped at some stage I would remove the battery, disconnect the charger, turn it over and see if you can get to the RAM and the hard drive to make sure that both are still firmly connected in their sockets.

Usually there are one or two small 'hatches' in the base which allow access to these components for the effort of removing a couple of screws, but not always. If you don't have these 'hatches' then go into YouTube and enter your Make + Model + hard drive OR RAM OR Teardown into the search box. You will almost certanly find one or more videos on how to get at these components.

Laptops are not meant to be dropped and, depending how far they fell and what they fell on to, it can do an enormous amount of damage.

Chris Cosgrove

#14 Darren12645

Darren12645
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2017 - 06:52 PM

Hi there thanks for your response I have just tried this and still I have nothing which is displaying

#15 britechguy

britechguy

• 6,871 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2017 - 06:55 PM

Given what you have offered regarding this machine I am more than happy to declare it "legally dead."

Too much has happened to it for anyone to make a reasonable guess as to what might be wrong at distance, and its history strongly suggests possible catastrophic damage.

~ Lauren Bacall

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users