Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

DVR help

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Timbwill2016

Timbwill2016

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2017 - 08:39 PM

I work for a corporation i cant name this corporation on a public forum without breaking company policy but will say in private. and I was doing an investigation for theft on an employee. I did not save any video because I was still investigating and I only burn what I need here is why I am baffled. I come in the next day and the DVR won't pull up any data, I have live view but now it won't record. I have two witnesses saying the employee went into the office (with no items visable) for about 10 minutes and then all of a sudden DVR problems. There are 4 seals on the DVR that if touched will say void those are fine they are not broken or voided out. How can someone just go in there and damage a DVR without tampering with the inside of it. Been in security for 15 years never have seen anything like this. Can i recover the data How was this done and most importantly how can I prevent this from happening again?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 arlattimor

arlattimor

• Members
  • 588 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:51 PM

Posted 28 July 2017 - 08:44 PM

Most likely your suspect used a magnet to wipe or scramble the data on the DVR's Drive.

http://www.kjmagnetics.com/blog.asp?p=hard-drive-destruction

A. Lattimore

CCNA, CWNA, MCITP, MCSA, MCT, MCP, Security+, Server+, Linux+, Network+, A+, CNST

Network Security Engineer

#3 arlattimor

arlattimor

• Members
  • 588 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2017 - 08:58 PM

Sorry posted wrong link now trying to find the correct one I had it

Edited by arlattimor, 28 July 2017 - 08:58 PM.

A. Lattimore

CCNA, CWNA, MCITP, MCSA, MCT, MCP, Security+, Server+, Linux+, Network+, A+, CNST

#4 Timbwill2016

Timbwill2016
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2017 - 09:00 PM

I found that while researching bit there was nothing on his hand when he went into the office..amd from what I read it takes a pretty strong magnet to do this and he could not place it directly on the hard drive could he still accomplish this by just putting it on the casing..there are two yards drives in the computer also I know that's proboly irrelevant but he would have to do it to.both wouldn't he

#5 arlattimor

arlattimor

• Members
  • 588 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2017 - 09:05 PM

Does the DVR have usb ports?

A. Lattimore

#6 Platypus

Platypus

• 11,272 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:51 AM

Posted 28 July 2017 - 09:07 PM

arlattimor, did you notice the result of the erasure attempts in that article?

"our methods failed to alter a single character of a single file"

Edit: you've posted relevant comment while I was typing.

Timbwill, I don't think there's going to be any way to work out what has happened other than analysis of the drive in the DVR, and confirming if access could have been gained to the settings menu in the DVR, and any settings changed, recording mode turned off or the drive re-initialized.

Without knowing any details of the DVR, it's assumed it uses a spinning platter hard drive, and access to the setup menu is physical through front panel buttons or a remote control handpiece, rather than there being a network connection and browser setup.

If the hard drive proves to have suffered some physical damage, I think it's likely that rather than some magnetic erasure, which would be difficult to do without a large degaussing device, lifting the DVR and whacking it smartly down onto the surface it's sitting on, to cause head crashes on the spinning platters would be a likely cause.

If the drive is undamaged, but reinitialized or otherwise had the data rendered unreadable, recovery depends mainly on how that particular DVR works - e.g. what file system it uses. If it records to a proprietary high security file system, only the DVR manufacturer may be able to recover a reinitialized drive.

Edited by Platypus, 28 July 2017 - 09:10 PM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#7 arlattimor

arlattimor

• Members
  • 588 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2017 - 09:10 PM

It was the wrong article and when I noticed it I posted the wrong link. I mistakenly closed the correct window trying to find it. That's why I posted earlier.

Sorry posted wrong link now trying to find the correct one I had it

Edited by arlattimor, 28 July 2017 - 09:11 PM.

A. Lattimore

#8 arlattimor

arlattimor

• Members
  • 588 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2017 - 09:14 PM

So again I ask does the DVR have usb ports?

A. Lattimore

#9 Timbwill2016

Timbwill2016
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2017 - 09:14 PM

Ok thanks for looking I is there any way to prevent this

#10 Timbwill2016

Timbwill2016
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2017 - 09:19 PM

Yes the DVR has one dvd drive and two USB ports in the front

#11 Platypus

Platypus

• 11,272 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2017 - 09:22 PM

The person under surveillance having unfettered access to the sole recording facility is a pretty fundamental security flaw.

#12 Timbwill2016

Timbwill2016
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2017 - 09:25 PM

I agree but I don't make enough money to make those decisions lol. It does seem really risky to try to damage in externally what if it didn't work there is going to be video of it it was turned on this morning same password that I programmed in and he would have to unhook all of the camera cables to get it out far enough to slam it not enough room in the security box over the DVR to do that

#13 Platypus

Platypus

• 11,272 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2017 - 09:29 PM

With the little information we have, we are only offering guesses as to what might be going on. If we can know the brand and model of DVR we might be able to be more help, otherwise we're going from general principles.

#14 Timbwill2016

Timbwill2016
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2017 - 09:35 PM

I'll get specifics on the brand and model number monday morning. We use different brands and models in different stores..(as cheap as they can get) these are stand alone DVR they have network capabilities but they don't use them.

#15 arlattimor

arlattimor

• Members
  • 588 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2017 - 09:53 PM

Really, theses DVRs aren't secured in a networking enclosure of some kind? They're just out in the open?http://www.bridgecable.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/network-rack-cabinet.jpg

Edited by arlattimor, 28 July 2017 - 09:54 PM.

A. Lattimore

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users