Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell 5110 laptop random freezes

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 helpful55

helpful55

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:32 PM

Posted 28 July 2017 - 07:42 PM

Dell 5110 AMD version with W7 64 bit. This laptop is real crisp when it is not having problems that I think are related to these freezing problems. It is getting random total freezes that don’t seem to be caused by any specific task. It freezes whatever is on the screen, the mouse and keyboard. All that is left is the power button and the led’s. It may happen as soon as windows starts, after a couple hours of use or anywhere in between. Usually it seems to be pretty sudden, but sometimes it gives some warning something is coming up. I have even reinstalled a clean non Dell OS since I am planning on selling it but I need this fixed first. I have tried many of the things I have found to try and fix this.

Memtest and the Dell hardware tests all pass. The only added program on to what the OS has is chrome. I updated IE. Nothing has been done to likely get any malware. MSE scan comes out clean. I have all current updates. Drivers may have been wrong for the Bluetooth but I think that is all straightened out as I have no yellow marks in dev mgr and the quick freezes don’t seem to be happening anymore. I have run sfc scan and it always comes up clean.  chkdsk has been run and it repaired a couple file location problems. I have run defrag. It seems like safe mode may not have the problem but I will be testing that for a longer session to see for sure.

I can’t really follow the event viewer errors. I don’t even know if it sets any errors for this as they are so sudden. Are there some tests or logs I can send so someone can determine what process is killing this? Thanks for any help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 3,028 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:32 PM

Posted 28 July 2017 - 08:39 PM

Please follow these BSOD posting instructions and attach the requested files by replying to this topic. Please DO NOT create a new topic — there is no need to do so.

Thank you.

Regards,
bwv848

Caution! Please read for more information.
Please only use the ZIP compression format — do not use 7z, RAR, etc.!!!

Useful information!
Even if you're not experiencing BSODs, please follow the instructions still as the uploaded reports are still useful.

If I do not reply in three days, please message me.

BC BSOD Posting Instructions | Carrona BSOD Index | Driver Reference Table (DRT)

#3 helpful55

helpful55
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2017 - 01:45 AM

I don't know what all this shows but if it is an error file there may be some strange things you see that are not related. For example I would have to do some out of the ordinary starts and this pc has a bad screen so I use an external. It used to work fine previously even with the external monitor so I don't think that is causing this. Like I said I think some work to get in a different driver for the bluetooth may have stopped the very quick freezes, but it will still freeze within two or three hours run time. I couldn't upload the first file as it was just over the upload limit. If the zipped file was the same one as that first just zipped then I guess you only wanted that one. Thanks for any ideas..

Attached Files

#4 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 3,028 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2017 - 08:41 PM

Hi,

Could you please follow the rest of the BSOD posting instructions and publish a snapshot with Speccy?

Thank you.

Regards,

bwv848

BC BSOD Posting Instructions | Carrona BSOD Index | Driver Reference Table (DRT)

#5 helpful55

helpful55
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2017 - 12:53 AM

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/Hj3XEvIUMsUpTFZ3gvId86Q

Did you need me to do the memory and HD tests?

#6 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 3,028 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2017 - 08:17 PM

Hi,

Just had a look at some more of the reports in detail. For some reason, there are some indications pointing to a faulty Windows XP installation. Therefore, I would like to have an MGADiag report to see what's under the hood.

:step1: Microsoft Genuine Advantage Diagnostic Tool (MGADiag)

• Download and save MGADiag from here.
  • Navigate to the directory where you saved the file.
  • Right-click on MGADiag.exe, select Run as administrator, and accept any User Account Control prompts.
  • Click Continue.
  • Click Copy.
  • Paste the copied information in your next reply.

Thank you.

Regards,

bwv848

#7 helpful55

helpful55
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2017 - 01:54 AM

Can you point me to what exactly there is and where that would be that is indicative of a faulty Windows XP installation? Thanks.

#8 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 3,028 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2017 - 09:47 AM

Whoops! My bad. I replied to the wrong topic. :blush: I'll reply to you in a few hours time. 

#9 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 3,028 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2017 - 10:37 AM

Greetings, :)

Sorry about that again. That's what happens when you try to analyze multiple systems at a time. Unfortunately, I can't find a support page for your DELL model on DELL's website. Is it truly a Dell Inspiron M5110? What does the sticker on the bottom of the laptop say?

#10 helpful55

helpful55
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2017 - 04:03 PM

I can understand that from my personal experiences. It was kind of a strange connection with the XP thing, the hard drive was completely erased to start so there should be no traces of other stuff and I would be surprised if this laptop ever had XP at all. When I was trying to get info on this laptop I get all kind of versions of it's designation and they all seem to come from Dell. It seems like they call these M5110 sometimes. I think this type is a 15R series and when I look up drivers from Dell they are using this designation 15R N5110 and that is using the ID tag to search the downloads. On the bottom tag it says INSPIRON N5110. Then there are the service tag #'s and the service code #'s if you want them. Next tag down says Windows 7 Home Prem OA, then some UPC codes and the product key code and more upc's. So it may be actually a N 5110 not M 5110.

Edited by helpful55, 31 July 2017 - 04:04 PM.

#11 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 3,028 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2017 - 04:30 PM

Hi,

Just noticed that your installed RAM is super low, and at the time when you completed the reports, you only had 891 MB of RAM free. That's dangerously low and could be related to the freezing.

I was trying to find the video drivers for your model, but the Dell site is so crappy and doesn't seem to have any drivers for the integrated ATI AMD Radeon™ HD 6480G graphics.

Yes, I would like you to try the memory and HDD tests, sorry for not saying so earlier.

Suggest you set the computer to high performance mode for troubleshooting(http://www.computersolution.tech/windows-7-performance-tips-enable-high-performance-mode/), does it still freeze? FYI — there are many other users of the same model complaining about freezing too. Many seem to be related to overheating? Can you run HWMonitor to monitor your temps (even though the ones in Speccy appeared okay):

:step1: HWMonitor by CPUID

• Download and save CPUID from here.
  • Navigate to the directory in which you saved the ZIP file.
  • Right-click on the downloaded ZIP file, click Extract all, taking note of where the files will be extracted, and then hit Extract.
  • Open up the extracted folder, right-click on HWMonitor_x64.exe (or HWMonitor_x32.exe, if your system is 32-bit) and select Run as administrator. Please accept any User Account Control prompts.

Regards,
bwv848

#12 helpful55

helpful55
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2017 - 05:43 AM

Sounds like you may not be seeing what is wrong from any of the submitted info.

I thought this was finally fixed, but no. I ran it for 10 hours Sunday with no freeze. Most of that time also had a video streaming and there had been no memory creep or anything. I shut it off. Today I started and it seemed fine. In about an hour I had a pointer that would move but operate no functions at all and a few seconds later it all died again. Restart had a freeze as soon as the desktop came up. Sometimes it barely gets to the desktop and it freezes. I looked at the startup programs and that is just MSC, the two Bluetooth processes and the CCC catalyst. Could looking at what all services are running give any idea? It is kind of hard to diagnose real time as I have no idea when it will freeze. It might be right away or an hour or two or 10 hours with no freeze. No way I know of causing a freeze.

Today I did catch it freezing and task manager stuck at memory use of exactly 1GB and it was at 3% cpu so it was not maxing anything out. I just had IE and Chrome open but no pages open so something was on when I waited for a freeze.

I have had, and maybe it was this laptop previously with the going wild svchost process that runs up the memory until it freezes. I consider the 3GB to be marginal of course. The other problem is that this dell reserves part of the ram for video so it is actually just 2.3. With that you have to be careful what all you are doing but it seems fine for streaming. It does have a page file of 2.3 set.

I’ve set to high performance.

I think I had seen those references about temp. I had HW in it for a while and saw normal temps. Fan works when I have checked and it is all very clean. With IE and Chrome on the CPU and video adapter runs mid or high 40’s (mid 50’s with a video stream on), and the HD runs low 40’s.

I ran memtest a total of 6 passes, no errors. I ran the Seagate long HD test, it came back as passed.

I agree about Dell. Hard to believe that such a large company doesn’t do better with their site. I guess from the day your actual warranty support ends you go to a real secondary role. If you call most of the questions are related to your warranty, if you have one or not. The site has told me that the driver is this one: http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/drivers/driversdetails?driverId=R309740&fileId=2731118659&osCode=W764&productCode=inspiron-m511r&languageCode=en&categoryId=VI. I know some of the Dell listed drivers may not be the latest, but they also may work better in this kind of situation. The one listed in device manager is apparently that same one. It says 7/8/2011, version 8.836.1.2000. I used driverbooster to pick that one out and install. Normally I like to use the AMD site/system but I don’t know if that is the best way.

Also ran another sfcscan and came up clean. I don’t have a lot of confidence this would fix it, but I could reinstall pretty easily, although this is actually the second time already. Prefer to find the problem, but if that is the only option I may have to.

Will the event logs give you any info to determine what is going on? Or is there some kind of program that can be run that documents errors?

Latest: I must have jinxed this by mentioning the svchost problem. I started it and suddenly I had that. I put in the MS KB3050265 fix and got that fixed. I would be surprised if I have any malware but I have run Malwarebytes and superantispyware scans and nothing found but the usual minor adware. Still random freezes and they are with normal memory and cpu usage. I see nothing going on that seems to cause this.

Edited by helpful55, 02 August 2017 - 04:18 PM.

#13 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 3,028 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2017 - 09:46 PM

Hi,

Let's try this video test: http://www.carrona.org/hwdiag.html#furmark

Does it freeze the system?

I have an idea... let's attempt to force a manually initiated crash. To do so:

With PS/2 keyboards, you must enable the keyboard-initiated crash in the registry. In the registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\i8042prt\Parameters, create a value named CrashOnCtrlScroll, and set it equal to a REG_DWORD value of 0x01.

With USB keyboards, you must enable the keyboard-initiated crash in the registry. In the registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\kbdhid\Parameters, create a value named CrashOnCtrlScroll, and set it equal to a REG_DWORD value of 0x01.

When the system hangs/freezes, hold down the rightmost CTRL key, and press the SCROLL LOCK key twice, forcing the system to BSOD. Then upload MEMORY.DMP for us:

:step1: Upload MEMORY.DMP

• Press and hold the Windows Key + R on your keyboard at the same time.
• In the Run box, type in %WinDir% and hit Enter on your keyboard.
• Find the file MEMORY.DMP and copy/paste it on to your Desktop.
• Zip up MEMORY.DMP (use .ZIP please!!!) and upload it to a trustworthy file-sharing service.

Regards,
bwv848

#14 helpful55

helpful55
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2017 - 08:53 PM

The video test ran the cpu to about 55% average and the cpu and video temp ran right about 60c. No crashes and the video looked fine. Ran it for about 6 minutes.

With the bsod test, I think I got that all set. It may take hours to wait for a freeze so I restarted the pc. That seems to be a way if any to make that happen sometimes and it freezes about the time the desktop comes completely on. This is a laptop so no scroll lock. I happen to have a separate keyboard I can hook up, but the problem is that the keyboard(s) freeze also. So I need a different way to induce that bsod or create the memory dump files.

And does disk cleanup or something else delete memory dump files, as I don’t see any from previous bsod events? I know my desktop has had a bsod within the last few months and this laptop did one time and neither of them have any memory dump files listed.

An idea I had is since I know a lot of these kind of things are driver related maybe it is something to do with the separate usb mouse and keyboard I use. I tend to use an add on keyboard and especially mouse as they are more convenient to use. I know laptops have their uses but I consider them mostly kids toys and those touchpads and keyboards are lame. Maybe the drivers or even excessive drivers installed for the mouse or keyboard are causing this. Is there a way to take all of the usb drivers out and test, then maybe try putting just the ones it needs, which may work or take care of too many installed? It’s got like 16 things listed there. I know that getting the usb ports and devices going is something the system has to do right away and since the system freezes right about that time sometimes maybe that is what is doing it. I tried running without the external mouse and keyboard and still had a restart freeze. Still would like to remove all unnecessary drivers to see if you think that may be it.

I'd prefer that this will work if I add on an external mouse or keyboard like it was designed, but if I find that is the problem maybe getting it to where it will work when only using the touchpad and built in keyboard would be acceptable for me.

Edited by helpful55, 06 August 2017 - 04:32 AM.

#15 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 3,028 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2017 - 10:06 PM

With the bsod test, I think I got that all set. It may take hours to wait for a freeze so I restarted the pc. That seems to be a way if any to make that happen sometimes and it freezes about the time the desktop comes completely on. This is a laptop so no scroll lock. I happen to have a separate keyboard I can hook up, but the problem is that the keyboard(s) freeze also. So I need a different way to induce that bsod or create the memory dump files.

No problem, can you follow this article to remap one of your keyboard keys? PLEASE however, create a System Restore point before hand. Windows should still crash when you enter that special keyboard sequence, even if your keyboard hangs.

And does disk cleanup or something else delete memory dump files, as I don’t see any from previous bsod events? I know my desktop has had a bsod within the last few months and this laptop did one time and neither of them have any memory dump files listed.

I believe your page file size is too small. Anyway, please follow this guide. (BTW, yes Disk Cleanup can be configured to delete dump files.)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users