Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PowerPC Linux Laptops?!

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 SuperSapien64

SuperSapien64

• Members
  • 813 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:13 PM

Posted 28 July 2017 - 07:16 PM

I came across this today apparently there's a project to make PowerPC Linux Laptops. It sounds interesting but does IBM still make PowerPC chips anymore?

And if they do succeed wouldn't this make the PowerPC Linux laptops more secure?

https://itsfoss.com/linux-powerpc-notebook-project/

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,986 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:13 PM

Posted 29 July 2017 - 06:49 AM

Specs looks decent, although could use a more modern CPU (DDR4 capable with a quad core option) & more RAM slots, preferably accessible w/out having to remove keyboard. :)

These computers could move, if not priced out of the market, like way too many Linux only distributors does (System76 being one example). At their price points, for the same hardware setup or better, can cruise to the Dell Business center & get a more feature filled Ubuntu notebook for less. Or simply purchase a off the shelf Windows computer, create a recovery disc set and/or drive, both if possible, image the drive fully (these actions will allow for a higher resale value), although I'd simply remove the drive & use another to preserve warranty and later sale of the computer, then install Linux Mint MATE 64 (my distro choice) on a new NVMe SSD of my own. I have a brand new, sealed one in my safe, ready to use. 

Being the year 2017, I'd never consider purchasing a notebook w/out DDR4 RAM & at least have a choice of CPU options, my needs would demand a quad core. as my best is one (3rd gen Ivy Bridge), in a Samsung Series 7 NP700Z5C-S02UB, wouldn't want to go any lower in performance. :)

http://ark.intel.com/products/71460

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Series-NP700Z5C-S02UB-15-6-Inch-Laptop/dp/B00A8ONW26/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top?ie=UTF8

I did upgrade the HDD to a 256GB Crucial M550 SSD laying around, and the RAM to 12GB. Would have to remove keyboard to access the other two slots, yet if I do, have another 4GB to add. Unfortunately, although the CPU supports PCIe 3.0, no M.2 NVMe option. :(

Still a killer notebook for a few hours of work & wasn't even 18 months old at the time I obtained it, set a new bar for my performance, anything less is useless (if I were to purchase). In fact, donated a not too old Dell Inspiron notebook with an i7, because it was a dual core one. Had it been quad & ran above 20W, would had kept it, it's simply hard for me to associate 'performance' with a dual core CPU running at 20W max, even with the available NVMe slot, and worse, no discrete graphics. The girl I gave it to installed Peppermint on it with my assistance & enjoys her notebook, the audience it should had been targeted towards, pre-teens, not a power user. :)

This Linux Power PPC project will have to do better than part of it's features to have any hope of market share, this is the year 2017, not 2008-09. :lol:

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users