Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't allocate hard drive Seagate barracuda

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Dmasterman

Dmasterman

• Members
  • 117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:54 PM

Posted 28 July 2017 - 07:12 PM

So I have a Seagate barracuda pro, 6 TB. However all my disk is showing available is 2tb. I've tried to allocate it with diskmanager but it has no actual option to allocate it. I've tried changing my hard drive settings from MBR to gpt, no avail and not even Seagate knows how to fix it, saying I should call back when they have more experts available.

So yes, essentially I'm trying to figure out how to fully utilize all of my terabytes of this silly hard drive.

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,437 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:54 PM

Posted 28 July 2017 - 07:41 PM

I checked the specs of your MB and it does have a UEFI BIOS. I would make sure you have it set it UEFI mode.

It looks like you have the OS already installed on the drive. Technically it's best to do a clean install on a GPT disk after deleting all partitions and initializing the disk as GPT.

See page 2-8 of your manual. Make sure Windows 8 feature under settings is enabled. This is UEFI mode. Changing this may keep your system from booting. I would also disable both fastboot settings until after the OS is installed.

Are you willing to reinstall the OS? If so then I would do the following after backing up all your personal data and software licenses.

Boot your Windows 10 install media. At the screen that asks for language.press Shift + F10 to open a command prompt. Type the following commands.

diskpart

list disk

select disk X     X will be 0 if you have only one drive

clean                 deletes all current partitions.

convert GPT     Initializes the disk as GPT

exit                    exit out of diskpart

exit                    exit out of command prompt

continue with the install

Edited by JohnC_21, 28 July 2017 - 07:41 PM.

#3 Dmasterman

Dmasterman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 117 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2017 - 08:14 PM

Thanks for the tip! I'm definitely willing to reinstall and try again. Afterall, it's a brand new and fresh HD.

But just a heads up, I did attempt this before. The whole Shift f10 for command prompt and open and convert.. the result unfortunately ended up as the same... I'll check the bios thing though.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,437 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2017 - 08:25 PM

I think the problem may be Windows 8 feature is not enabled in your UEFI settings but I could be wrong.

The Windows 8 feature is a sub menu of Windows 8 configuration in the Advanced Section.

#5 Dmasterman

Dmasterman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 117 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2017 - 08:38 PM

Well here's the good and bad news. The Good news, is you were right. the Windows 8 config was not enabled.

The bad news, is after enabling it, it doesn't even recognize my hard drive anymore. In fact, I can't even boot up the windows OS disk on it anymore. It doesn't even read that.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,437 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2017 - 09:04 PM

The MB seems to be an early version of the UEFI implementation. Are you saying that with Windows 8 features enabled the hard drive is not detected by UEFI? It would be under the Boot section. Did you disable MSI fastboot and fastboot also shown on the same page of the manual. Fastboot can cause problems booting DVDs or USB flash drives. 

On the UEFI screen you should see a boot menu key. See page 2-3. Clicking on it will open a boot menu where you can select a Boot Device.

Is this a DVD install media. You can download the latest iso of Windows 10 using the Media Creation Tool then use Rufus to create a bootable USB flash drive. That may allow you to boot where the DVD failed.

https://rufus.akeo.ie/

#7 Dmasterman

Dmasterman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 117 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2017 - 09:21 PM

Actually I do see the UEFI shell screen. Is that the correct thing?

#8 Dmasterman

Dmasterman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 117 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2017 - 09:23 PM

The page essentially boots to a

EFI Shell Version 2.31 [4.653

current running mode 1.1.2

Device mapping table

fs0 hard dkisk alias

(this repeats from fs0-fs3)

and then blk1-blk6

finally it ends with a PresS Esc in 3 seconds to skip startup.nsh, any other key to continue
Shell>

But that's abotu it

#9 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:54 AM

Posted 28 July 2017 - 09:35 PM

Some early implementations of UEFI either lacked or had a primitive CSM (Compatibility Support Module), and needed to be updated to a current BIOS version to work properly.
Top 5 things that never get done:

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,437 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2017 - 09:36 PM

From my understanding of the manual the Boot Menu key would show a list of boot devices. It says clicking on the key would bring up a list to boot from but I'm not familiar with a list you posted. I would think you would see a DVD optical drive. Have you tried booting from a USB flash drive?

You can set your UEFI settings to default and see if the list changes.

I would not select EFI shell. That could lead to bad things. I never ran into that EFI shell screen

https://www.google.com/search?q=Device+mapping+table&btnI

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-1734659/stuck-efi-shell-version-654.html

On page 2-6 of the manual make sure you are in AHCI mode. 

Edit: Latest UEFI firmware: A6 dated 2016

https://us.msi.com/Motherboard/support/970A-G43.html

Edited by JohnC_21, 28 July 2017 - 09:40 PM.

#11 Dmasterman

Dmasterman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 117 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2017 - 09:37 PM

Hold on, major update. I found out that I can actually boot my disk, there is a short screen splash saying "hit any key to boot form usb or disk". it was appearing so fast, I wasn't seeing it until I stared at my screen without blinking.

So currently I'm installing Windows 10 back into it. Let's see what happens

#12 Dmasterman

Dmasterman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 117 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2017 - 11:29 PM

Alright, well after installing it, I now have full access to my 6tb. Finally.

I guess that the windows 8 thing was the issue.

However now the PC is overheating.. Speccy is reading it at 86 c. Is this the Hard drive? or because of the  UEFI? Strange.

but at least we solved one part, thanks!

#13 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,196 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2017 - 12:08 AM

Speccy is reading it at 86 c

Which temperature is being reported at that? Software diagnostics don't always read mainboard sensors correctly. If the BIOS has a section showing temperature readouts, I check that first for comparison.

#14 Dmasterman

Dmasterman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 117 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2017 - 12:29 AM

Speccy is reading it at 86 c

Which temperature is being reported at that? Software diagnostics don't always read mainboard sensors correctly. If the BIOS has a section showing temperature readouts, I check that first for comparison.

Speccy is saying it's my CPU and board reading at that heat. Oddly it only seems to heat up once I reach desktop. When I'm in the bios, it's at a pretty decent temp.

#15 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,196 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2017 - 12:31 AM

That may indicate it is being misread. I'd check the temperature being reported under Windows, then immediately re-boot into the BIOS, see if the temps still show OK there or not.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users