Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wireless Printer Scanning Problem

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,449 posts
  •  
  • Location:Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital, Beelitz, Germany
  • Local time:06:44 PM

Posted 28 July 2017 - 05:15 PM

i purchased a canon laser printer about 3 months ago, installation and setup was simple and a breeze, i have two computers that i print from, a desktop windows 7, and a MAC laptop,

the printer is connected wireless and i print from both machines with no problems,

recently i tried to scan a document from the printer/scanner to save to one of the computers in PDF form, it gives me the option (on the printer menu) of what type of connection USB or network computer....i select network computer and it says "connect computer"....well both computers are already connected via the network, but they are not listed on the printers menu,

i went through the manual (which i generally never have to do) and it says the following in large print.....

The scan function is not available if the machine and your computer are connected in an IPv6 environment. Use IPv4 or a USB connection.

im feeling like this might be the issue, but am a bit lost on how to check this or resolve it?

i realize i could easily solve this by connecting the laptop with a USB cable which would probably work, but i would like to be able to do this wirelessly as its more convenient that way

Edited by mikey11, 28 July 2017 - 05:16 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:44 AM

Posted 28 July 2017 - 07:38 PM

It has to do with the WIFI parts in the printer.  Most are one way, that is the device (printer) receives via WIFI its data to print, but the scanner (part of all in one printer) has no way to send the collected scan data back through the WIFI to either PC.  Make sense now?

#3 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,164 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:44 PM

Posted 28 July 2017 - 09:08 PM

Mikey,

If you did not install it when you got the printer, definitely download and install the full software and driver package for the device from Canon's support site.

I have never had a Canon wireless multi-function that did not print and scan wirelessly.  When I install the full software package one of the things that ends up on the desktop is a utility named IJ Scan Utility (since mine is an InkJet) and that's how a scan is triggered for all (now two) the wireless Canon multi-functions on my LAN.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#4 mikey11

mikey11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,449 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2017 - 06:55 AM

Mikey,

If you did not install it when you got the printer, definitely download and install the full software and driver package for the device from Canon's support site.

I have never had a Canon wireless multi-function that did not print and scan wirelessly.  When I install the full software package one of the things that ends up on the desktop is a utility named IJ Scan Utility (since mine is an InkJet) and that's how a scan is triggered for all (now two) the wireless Canon multi-functions on my LAN.

thanks, i will try that, you may be correct,

when i installed it with the CD i only selected to install the basic drivers, and not all the other programs,

#5 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,164 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:44 PM

Posted 01 August 2017 - 10:34 PM

mikey11,

After you get around to doing this please let us know if it fixed your problem.  Also, I always recommend getting the latest software from the maker's support site rather than using the CD that came with the device if that's possible.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#6 mikey11

mikey11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,449 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2017 - 08:49 AM

mikey11,

After you get around to doing this please let us know if it fixed your problem.  Also, I always recommend getting the latest software from the maker's support site rather than using the CD that came with the device if that's possible.

thanks for the reply,

i removed the software from the desktop computer, and reinstalled the entire software package this time, it did not help or fix the problem,

i would like to remedy this eventually just because im the type of person who likes things to work as they should,

however i dont scan very often, if i have to i can plug my laptop into the printer with USB and scan like that, its just the wireless scanning not working,

i have even followed the manuals instructions step by step, no go

i am starting to think this might be the problem which i mentioned in my first post.....

i went through the manual (which i generally never have to do) and it says the following in large print.....

The scan function is not available if the machine and your computer are connected in an IPv6 environment. Use IPv4 or a USB connection.

but as i said im not sure how to check that or correct it

It has to do with the WIFI parts in the printer.  Most are one way, that is the device (printer) receives via WIFI its data to print, but the scanner (part of all in one printer) has no way to send the collected scan data back through the WIFI to either PC.  Make sense now?

i highly doubt that is the problem....why would the printer have a wireless scanning option if it could not do it?

Edited by mikey11, 03 August 2017 - 08:50 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users