I think the hard drive on my laptop is showing early signs of failure -- nothing shows up on a scan and it claims to be healthy in Disk Management
What scan did you run?
There are two scans you can run which will shed some light of the state of the hdd's health.
Please download and run SeaTools for Windows
Before the installation begins you will be prompted to either Decline or Accept the terms of the installation, click on I Accept.
1. SeaTools for Windows will search for HDDs and SSDs on your computer. Please remove any external storage devices connected via USB ports.
2. Detected Drives will list the HDDs and SSDs found. Place a check mark in the drive box you want to run the scan on. This should be the drive that has the operating system installed on it, this is usually C: drive.
3. You will see Basic Tests toolbar above Detected Drives, move the mouse pointer over this to open the test options. Please click on Long Generic Test
4. This will start the scan. When the scan is complete you will see the result under Test Status , please post the results in your topic.
5. The test will indicate either Pass or Fail. Post the results of the scan in your topic.
6. Click on Help, then click on View Log File. If the scan failed take a screen shot of the Log File and post it in your topic.
Please run chkdsk /r, or chkdsk /f if you are using a SSD.
To run chkdsk /r you will need to open the Elevated Command Prompt. The easiest way to do this is to press the Windows key and the X key. A menu will open with the option Command Prompt (Admin), click on this.
You will see a window similar to the one below.
When the Elevated Command Prompt opens copy and paste chkdsk /r in the Command Prompt, if this is a SSD you do not want to run the /r switch, you will want to use chkdsk /f then press Enter.
You will receive the message "CHKDSK cannot be run because it is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts? <Y/N>".
Type in Y and press Enter.
This will take a while to run, please be patient and allow it to complete the scan. Do not stop this scan as this can damage your operating system.
When the scan is finished please download and run ListChkdskResult.
This will open Notepad with the results of the chkdsk scan. Please copy and then paste this log in your topic.
Scan with ListChkDskResult
Please download ListChkDskResult by SleepyDude and save it to your desktop.
- Right-click on icon and select Run as Administrator to start the tool.
- A message about checking Windows Event Log will pop-up. Click OK.
- Wait patiently until a notepad window will open. This won't take long.
- The displayed logfile will be also saved to your desktop as ListChkDskResult.txt.
Please include the content of this file in your next reply.