Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Restore Upgraded System to New Drive?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 saguaro2

saguaro2

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:47 AM

Posted 28 July 2017 - 07:06 AM

I think the hard drive on my laptop is showing early signs of failure -- nothing shows up on a scan and it claims to be healthy in Disk Management, but I'm seeing messages in Event Viewer that some files took an abnormally long time to access, and occasional hibernation failures. I haven't had a hard drive failure since 2005, so I guess I'm due ...

I use File History, and as I type I'm making a System Image backup as well. The thing is, this machine (bought in early 2014) came with Win8.1 and I took the free upgrade to WIn10 a couple of years ago. I'm still (more by oversight/laziness than anything) paying for the retailer's extended warranty. If I get a replacement drive through that, I guess it'll be the original 2013 factory image.  How much of a pain is it going to be to get the system back to its current state starting from there? Will my Win10 license even be valid on a new drive?

Alternatively, is it possible to restore File History files to a completely new system? Or would I be better off dumping my personal folders as-is to a separate drive? (Cloud backup isn't an option for more than a small subset of my files, as I'm on ADSL with <1Mbps upload bandwidth. I have about 0.5 Tb of work and personal files on this machine.)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Goddess_Bastet

Goddess_Bastet

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2017 - 07:11 AM

You could install Macrium reflect free to create an image then restore said image to the new hard drive. You have to create a MR boot disk which you use to restore the image on the new drive/disk.
https://www.macrium.com/reflectfree

#3 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,873 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:47 AM

Posted 28 July 2017 - 08:48 AM

Your Windows 10 digital entitlement is not connected to your hard drive in any way; it is associated with your machine's motherboard.

If you get a new drive you could either restore from a system image or clone the old disc over to the new one, plug the new on in, and be good to go.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.  Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.

~ Mark Twain

#4 saguaro2

saguaro2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2017 - 09:02 AM

@britechguy Thanks, that's good to know. (I'm slightly worried that the retailer would just offer me a reconditioned machine with a different motherboard, which would cause me so many other problems I might turn them down and simply replace the drive myself.)

@Goddess_Bastet Thanks. Is that better than using the built-in system image facility?

#5 Goddess_Bastet

Goddess_Bastet

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2017 - 12:46 PM

@saguaro2 Yes Macrium Reflect is much better & more reliable. The program has helped me out of a problem numerous times.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,810 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:47 PM

Posted 29 July 2017 - 08:36 AM

I think the hard drive on my laptop is showing early signs of failure -- nothing shows up on a scan and it claims to be healthy in Disk Management

What scan did you run?

There are two scans you can run which will shed some light of the state of the hdd's health.

Please download and run SeaTools for Windows

Before the installation begins you will be prompted to either Decline or Accept the terms of the installation, click on I Accept.

1.  SeaTools for Windows will search for HDDs and SSDs on your computer.  Please remove any external storage devices connected via USB ports.

2.  Detected Drives will list the HDDs and SSDs found.  Place a check mark in the drive box you want to run the scan on.  This should be the drive that has the operating system installed on it, this is usually C: drive.

3.  You will see Basic Tests toolbar above Detected Drives, move the mouse pointer over this to open the test options.  Please click on Long Generic Test

4.  This will start the scan.  When the scan is complete you will see the result under Test Status , please post the results in your topic.

5.  The test will indicate either Pass or Fail.  Post the results of the scan in your topic.

6.  Click on Help, then click on View Log File.  If the scan failed take a screen shot of the Log File and post it in your topic.

Please run chkdsk /r, or chkdsk /f if you are using a SSD.

To run chkdsk /r you will need to open the Elevated Command Prompt.  The easiest way to do this is to press the Windows key windowskey_zps092d5c75.png and the X key.   A menu will open with the option Command Prompt (Admin), click on this.

You will see a window similar to the one below.

command%20prompt%20w8_zpsxjmewau9.png

When the Elevated Command Prompt opens copy and paste chkdsk /r in the Command Prompt, if this is a SSD you do not want to run the /r switch, you will want to use chkdsk /f then press Enter.

You will receive the message "CHKDSK cannot be run because it is in use by another process.  Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts?  <Y/N>".

Type in Y and press Enter.

This will take a while to run, please be patient and allow it to complete the scan.  Do not stop this scan as this can damage your operating system.

When the scan is finished please download and run ListChkdskResult.

This will open Notepad with the results of the chkdsk scan.  Please copy and then paste this log in your topic.

================

ListChkdskResult.png Scan with ListChkDskResult

Please download ListChkDskResult by SleepyDude and save it to your desktop.

• Right-click on ListChkdskResult.png icon and select RunAsAdmin.jpg Run as Administrator to start the tool.
  • A message about checking Windows Event Log will pop-up. Click OK.
  • Wait patiently until a notepad window will open. This won't take long.
  • The displayed logfile will be also saved to your desktop as ListChkDskResult.txt.

Please include the content of this file in your next reply.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 saguaro2

saguaro2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2017 - 02:36 AM

@dc3, thanks, I just did the scan from the disk properties menu. I ran the SeaTools Long Generic test overnight and it was a Pass.

I'm actually starting to think that it may not be a hardware problem at all, just the Windows Search engine being flaky, as I noticed very similar warnings on my other machine. I'll do the other scan tonight.

#8 saguaro2

saguaro2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2017 - 03:14 AM

OK, I ran chkdsk /r overnight. ListChkDskResult.exe doesn't seem to be at that link any more, but I found the log in Event Manager.

Checking file system on C:
The type of the file system is NTFS.
Volume label is TI31205500A.

A disk check has been scheduled.
Windows will now check the disk.                         

Stage 1: Examining basic file system structure ...
  1611264 file records processed.                                                         File verification completed.
  17732 large file records processed.                                      0 bad file records processed.                                      
Stage 2: Examining file name linkage ...
  1792834 index entries processed.                                                        Index verification completed.
  0 unindexed files scanned.                                           0 unindexed files recovered to lost and found.                     
Stage 3: Examining security descriptors ...
CHKDSK is compacting the security descriptor stream
Cleaning up 9672 unused security descriptors.
  90786 data files processed.                                            CHKDSK is verifying Usn Journal...
  39713544 USN bytes processed.                                                            Usn Journal verification completed.

Stage 4: Looking for bad clusters in user file data ...
  1611248 files processed.                                                                File data verification completed.

Stage 5: Looking for bad, free clusters ...
  84424033 free clusters processed.                                                        Free space verification is complete.
Correcting errors in the Volume Bitmap.

Windows has made corrections to the file system.
No further action is required.

964667307 KB total disk space.
 624502808 KB in 1327093 files.
    711660 KB in 90789 indexes.
         0 KB in bad sectors.
   1756703 KB in use by the system.
     65536 KB occupied by the log file.
 337696136 KB available on disk.

4096 bytes in each allocation unit.
 241166826 total allocation units on disk.
  84424034 allocation units available on disk.

Internal Info:
00 96 18 00 5e 43 15 00 45 d2 22 00 00 00 00 00  ....^C..E.".....
50 b0 02 00 99 64 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00  P....d..........

Windows has finished checking your disk.
Please wait while your computer restarts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users