Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win10 computer stuck in loading loop after trying to install a mod

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Broly

Broly

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2017 - 05:29 AM

Hello, I tried to install a theme/mod to my computer. It involved change some SYSWOW64 and System32 files. I think the files were ExplorerFrame.dll, imageres.dll, imageres1.dll, and a .dll file that begins with a z. I still have the original files in syswow64 and system32, named ".dll.original". I also have a restore point to before I did any of this. The problem is, the screen doesn't go past the blue loading screen. It just stays there and refreshes and flash black. Also, if this matters, my computer screen is broken so I plug it up to my TV via HDMI. My dad is getting me a new one soon but I still have alot of files I need and also it will take a while for my father to get the money. The computer is an HP. Please help, and thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,312 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:00 AM

Posted 28 July 2017 - 06:38 AM

If you are using a Microsoft account to login then it's possible the files are encrypted. You can either remove the drive and attach it to another computer via a USB adapter allowing your to recover your data and restore the files you altered or boot a live linux disk to do the same. If booting a live linux disk you need to disable SecureBoot if this option is in your UEFI settings or on a on a HP with UEFI you can tap Esc and select Legacy Boot for the DVD of linux or you can use a USB flash drive and Rufus with the linux iso to create a bootable USB flash drive.

#3 Broly

Broly
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2017 - 06:42 AM

So booting linux on it is the only way to save it?

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,312 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2017 - 06:50 AM

If you do not want to remove the drive and connect it to another computer using an adapter the only way to retrieve your files is using a Live Linux Disk. This would run in RAM and off the DVD or USB flash drive.

You can download Mint Cinnamon and boot to the desktop. Click Computer and attach a USB external drive to recovery your data.

#5 Broly

Broly
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2017 - 07:07 AM

My internet is off right now and my mom isn't woke yet to pay the bill. But you're saying to install linux via USB (dont know how to burn a disc) but how would I boot it up? UEFI?

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,312 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2017 - 08:35 AM

You can burn a DVD by right clicking the iso file in any Windows 7 or later computer and selecting Burn Disk Image. Do you have any DVDs available? The iso of the linux iso is about 1.5GB. Do you have any bandwidth limits on your internet connection? 

You would not be installing linux, only creating a bootable USB flash drive and booting it to recovery your files to an external hard drive. Once the USB flash drive is created then tap Esc at boot and select your USB flash drive.

Rufus Instructions:

Run Rufus with the USB flash drive attached. Select MBR partition scheme for BIOS and UEFI. Leave all boxes as checked. Where FreeDos is shown in the dropdown box select iso image, click the icon, and browse to the Mint iso file. Press Start. Any data on the flash drive will need to be backed up as the drive will be formatted.

#7 Broly

Broly
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2017 - 11:19 AM

Ok, I have to get a bigger flash drive then because the DVD disk I have is read only. I'll talk to you then.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,312 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2017 - 11:27 AM

How big is your flash drive? Are you planning on using the flash drive to boot linux and also save files to it? 

There are smaller distros that will work, Puppy linux is only about 200MB but copying files is a little different. I can provide instructions.

You would download Tahrpup.

http://puppylinux.org/main/Download%20Latest%20Release.htm

tahr64-6.0.5.iso

#9 Broly

Broly
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2017 - 07:55 PM

Ok, I downloaded the Puppy .iso file. How do I set it up though? I can't burn it to a disk because the only disk I have is a readable one.

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,312 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2017 - 08:20 PM

Do you have a spare USB flash drive that is 1GB or larger. If so then use Rufus per my instructions. Attach the flash drive then boot while tapping Esc. You will see the flash drive listed. Select Legacy.

#11 Broly

Broly
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2017 - 09:15 PM

Yes I do, could you provide me a download link to rufus? It seems like I can't connect to the site (rufus.akeo.ie). It might be this computer since it is very old.

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,312 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2017 - 09:19 PM

Here is another link.

https://www.techspot.com/downloads/6062-rufus.html

#13 Broly

Broly
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2017 - 09:35 PM

I can't seem to change the settings. The drop down menus don't work. This is portable. Should I have installed Installer?

#14 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,312 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2017 - 09:41 PM

Portable should work. I don't understand why you cannot use the dropdown menus. The only one you need to change would be iso image if you see FreeDos in the dropdown box.

If you still cannot get it to work use the installer version.

Edited by JohnC_21, 28 July 2017 - 09:42 PM.

#15 Broly

Broly
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2017 - 09:45 PM

Yes, I see FreeDos in the box and I can change it. The drop down only works for that and the box above it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users