Saving/restoring Firefox bookmarks for a reinstall
The purpose of this guide, is to teach you how to save the bookmarks you have accumulated, so you can replace them if you ever have to do a reinstall of Firefox.
If you don't save them prior to a reinstall, you will lose all of them.
It's also a good idea to save a copy everytime you backup your personal files, in case your computer ever crashes.
- First, set windows to show hidden files,
How to see hidden files in Windows
- Then navigate to:
In Windows XP:
C:\ Documents and Settings \ "your user name" \ Application Data \ Mozilla \ Firefox \ Profiles \ default.random characters \ Bookmark.html
Windows Vista, 7, or 8:
C:\ Users \ "your user name" \ AppData \ Roaming \ Mozilla \ Firefox \ Profiles \ default.random characters \ Bookmark.html
- Right click Bookmark.html, and select Copy.
- Go to your Desktop, and in an empty area, right click and select Paste.
That will put a copy of the file on your Desktop.
- After you install a new copy of Firefox, go to the Profile folder again, and delete the new Bookmark.html file that is in there.
- Go back to your Desktop and Copy the Bookmark.html file you put there, then Paste it into the Profile folder where you deleted the new Bookmark.html file.
Also, since this is an .html file, you can open it in Internet Explorer, by double clicking it, and using the links that way.
Just click a link, and it will open in Internet Explorer.