Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

SSD Won't show up in BIOS or Windows anymore

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 EvilJ

EvilJ

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:23 PM

Posted 27 July 2017 - 09:04 PM

I put the computer to sleep one night, and the next day it was acting like crap on boot up, I hit the reset button and now the SSD will not show up in BIOS at all, no matter what SATA port I've tried. I bought a new SSD and reinstalled Windows, it works fine, but the old drive won't show up in disk management either. I don't care much about the drive (Though it'd be great if I could save it) but there are important files on it that I really need. About 2 weeks ago, I used Kingston's own SSD health monitor software, and it said it was at 98% life remaining and healthy

Edit: I've also tried Acronis and Partition Wizard, neither of them see the drive either

Edited by hamluis, 28 July 2017 - 07:48 AM.
Fixed typo - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,254 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:23 PM

Posted 28 July 2017 - 07:52 AM

The fact that the drive does not show up on various apps...seems to point to drive failure, IMO.

Does it show up if you attempt to run a hard drive diagnostic?

Does it show up if placed in a different system?

Specific model of drive?

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 28 July 2017 - 07:53 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

#3 EvilJ

EvilJ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2017 - 12:20 AM

Can't get it to show up TO run a diagnostic =\

Tried plugging it into my brothers computer, and it doesn't show up there either.

It's a Kingston HyperX SSD - SH100S3

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,254 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2017 - 09:48 AM

I would assume that the drive has lived its life.

Louis

#5 malwaredpc

malwaredpc

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:23 AM

Posted 29 July 2017 - 01:42 PM

Drive is dead, forget about it. Next time get an HDD.

#6 EvilJ

EvilJ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2017 - 03:05 PM

Thanks Louis, I was just trying to get input on if there was anything I could try that I hadn't already done :-)

malwaredpc: How entirely helpful of you, thanks! You went out of your way to push a few buttons to smart off. For the record, the failed SSD lasted longer than any mechanical drive I've ever owned

#7 malwaredpc

malwaredpc

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2017 - 03:25 PM

So

someone that is not me says the drive is dead = good

I say the drive is dead = you are not helpful

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,638 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:23 PM

Posted 29 July 2017 - 03:56 PM

Crucial has a method to recover "dead" SSD drives. I can't say this same method will work for Kingston though. Kingston support may have something.

1. Only connect the SATA power connection and not the data cable. A USB enclosure with an external power source will also work.

2. Once you have the drive connected, simply power on the computer and wait. The computer will need to stay powered on for 20 min and it is recommended that you don't use the computer during this process.

3. Power the computer down and disconnect the drive for 30 seconds.

4. Repeat steps 2 and 3 one more time.

5. Reconnect the drive normally, and boot the computer to your operating system.

I am not recommending the following company. The link is for your reference only with some info that may explain the problem.

https://www.gillware.com/blog/data-recovery-case/kingston-ssd-recovery-ssdnow/

#9 EvilJ

EvilJ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2017 - 04:03 PM

malwaredpc

No, you're being a smartass is not helpful

JohnC_21

Thanks John, I'll give that a looksie

#10 malwaredpc

malwaredpc

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2017 - 04:30 PM

Go ahead and keep losing your files. I am an smartass, that's why I have HDDs more than 25 years old and no data lost. HDDs tend to fail in shorter time than SSDs but those failing are not bad enough to lose everything while SSDs tend to fail more in the long term  badly (as it happened to you).

As HDDs fail in shorter time, you make use of the warranty while SSDs get out of the period and you waste money ad they get another purchase. It is a programed disposability.

Edited by malwaredpc, 29 July 2017 - 04:31 PM.

#11 EvilJ

EvilJ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2017 - 05:18 PM

malwaredpc

Well go be a smartass elsewhere where someone might want to deal with it, because it isn't here. I understand what you're saying, I do, I also have ancient HDD's that still work, it's just they're too slow for use and/or I don't have anything with an interface that old (IDE). Some of my perfectly functioning HDD's, even if I could plug them into my computer wouldn't work just because of how slow they are, 5400 RPM is nothing to brag about. And your whole argument is that "HDD's fail sooner, but not as immediately" isn't a good example of HDD's being more reliable, this SSD before it took a crap lasted longer than any single HDD I've ever owned that had heavy use. Anywho, good day to you, sir

#12 malwaredpc

malwaredpc

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2017 - 05:52 PM

Your drive is faulty.

Signed Lois.

#13 EvilJ

EvilJ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2017 - 06:00 PM

Hey Louis, how can I block this Clinton supporter? He's irritating

#14 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,254 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2017 - 06:40 AM

You don't have to block...anyone :).

All you have to do is ignore comments by said individual.  Responding to posts which clearly only have the intent of obtaining a response/comment that only sidetracks your issues...is not the way to indicate that you are not a "willing victim" to the snares of the hunter.  Ignoring such, in the same manner that you would ignore a petulant child willing to do anything for the sake of attention, would be my suggested way of dealing with those who engage in such pointless behavior.

Sad to say, such people exist throughout the world...and the Internet affords them the capability to disrupt, insult, etc. with easy access of a computer.  Playing the game their way...is just what they want.  You do not have to play any game...ever...with such persons.  If attention is what they crave...don't give it to them.  Eventually, the craving for such will drive them to seek elsewhere because the craving cannot be satisfied here.

Louis

#15 malwaredpc

malwaredpc

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2017 - 01:47 PM

Is very smart from an moderator to call someone a petulant child after this individual has been called smartass by an TS because he didn't like the opinion or recommendation of someone else.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users