Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Setting up Mail

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 MaryBet82

MaryBet82

• Members
  • 454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:08 AM

Posted 27 July 2017 - 03:29 PM

macbook pro 10.6.8; Mail 4.8

What I would like to do is download the mail in the Sent folder on the comcast server to the Sent folder in Mail.

I set up Mail back in 2010, so I don't remember what I did. Especially since I didn't use it for years since I couldn't figure out how to match the folders on comcast to folders in Mail.

So far I haven't found the answers in mail help, browsing thru Mail preferences and options, or googling. Comcast "help" used to be of some help, but these days it is useless. I think I asked this question before here and someone said something about using imap rather than smtp? Reading on imap I don't think that's what was suggested. I don't know how imap fits in really, since I can access my email on the comcast server thru my browser. POP deletes as it downloads so that's not it, unless there is a new POP that downloads w/out storing. So smtp seems correct.

smtp.comcast.net.myname is the choice for outgoing mail server in Preferences, but my sent emails from Mail do not get stored on the comcast server. My incoming mail server is mail.comcast.net. While I'm in the Sent folder in Mail, under Mailboxes there is an option "use this mailbox for" w/ the choices Sent, Drafts, Trash, Junk - which are the standard folders on comcast - but the choices are greyed out. On the General tab in Preferences there is a "dock unread email" w/ "inbox" and "all mailboxes" as the possible choices so it seems like one should be able to download from other folders on the comcast server than inbox. I'm not sure what "docking" is.

Can I set up mail to download the Sent folder contents on the comcast server to my Sent folder in Mail?

Edited by MaryBet82, 27 July 2017 - 04:29 PM.

mac 10.6 on macbook pro
WinXP sp2 on Dell 380 w/ 512 MB RAM- currently dead in the water
WinXP tab ed sp 3 on Thinkpad X41 w/ 1.5 GB RAM - lemony flavored
Win2K Sp4 on Sony VAIO GXR600 w/ 512 MB RAM - currently blue screening

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users