Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 computer not connecting to wifi

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 EliteHateNachos

EliteHateNachos

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2017 - 01:59 PM

Hey guys I'm new so 3 days ago I bought a Lenovo IdeaCentre 300s-08 desktop computer and it's been having issues finding my wifi connections. I have 3 different wifi connections and sometimes they will pop up but most of the time will disappear. If I'm lucky enough it will stay but usually if I connect to one it says no internet connection. Now my computer is 2 floors up from my router but it's next to my Xbox one which has no issues connecting to internet. My phone doesn't have any issues connecting to the wifi either so I'm pretty sure it's the computer. I tried uninstalling the wireless network adapter and having windows manually install it again but it still doesn't work. The weird thing is I've gotten it to work twice. The night i bought it and yesterday, about 20 minutes before I left for work so I couldn't really use it. I don't have a warranty on the computer so please tell me there's a way I can fix it. I need it badly for school. And I can't really move the desktop anywhere else, not closer to the router. Any help asap would be great.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Tr4ce

Tr4ce

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:15 PM

Posted 27 July 2017 - 02:08 PM

Hi EliteHateNachos,

Have you tried to install the latest drivers from the wifi manufacturer? I would start there if you haven't already. 

#3 EliteHateNachos

EliteHateNachos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2017 - 02:21 PM

Hi EliteHateNachos,

Have you tried to install the latest drivers from the wifi manufacturer? I would start there if you haven't already. 

If you mean going into device manager, network adapters and updating the driver to my wireless network adapter then yes. It says that the most recent driver is installed.
Unless you mean something else?

#4 Tr4ce

Tr4ce

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:15 PM

Posted 27 July 2017 - 03:01 PM

yea something else, if you install Speccy it will give you all the hardware info for your machine. Look for the motherboard vender, make and model then check on there website to make sure you do have the up to date driver for the wireless adaptor from them. Windows doesn't always give the most up to date drivers. 

#5 arlattimor

arlattimor

• Members
  • 591 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:15 AM

Posted 27 July 2017 - 03:57 PM

Are you using WPA2 Encryption on your network? Some devices have difficulty with connecting and staying connected with WPA2, you might try changing your Encryption to WPA. Also when was the last time you updated the firmware of your router?

Edited by arlattimor, 27 July 2017 - 03:58 PM.

A. Lattimore

CCNA, CWNA, MCITP, MCSA, MCT, MCP, Security+, Server+, Linux+, Network+, A+, CNST

Network Security Engineer

#6 EliteHateNachos

EliteHateNachos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2017 - 12:38 AM

Are you using WPA2 Encryption on your network? Some devices have difficulty with connecting and staying connected with WPA2, you might try changing your Encryption to WPA. Also when was the last time you updated the firmware of your router?

It is WPA2. How do I change it to WPA?
I'm not sure. We switched to fios internet almost 2 years ago, id say that was the last time

#7 EliteHateNachos

EliteHateNachos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2017 - 12:40 AM

yea something else, if you install Speccy it will give you all the hardware info for your machine. Look for the motherboard vender, make and model then check on there website to make sure you do have the up to date driver for the wireless adaptor from them. Windows doesn't always give the most up to date drivers. 

Okay. How can I download Speccy if I'm not getting internet though?

#8 arlattimor

arlattimor

• Members
  • 591 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:15 AM

Posted 28 July 2017 - 01:12 AM

Sorry just seeing your posting, you need to go into the wifi section of your router. There you should see the encryption section. Then change it to WPA with TKIP. When you have done this you need to restart the router. Also, you'll need to change the encryption on the devices that are connecting to the network to WPA with TKIP.  

A. Lattimore

CCNA, CWNA, MCITP, MCSA, MCT, MCP, Security+, Server+, Linux+, Network+, A+, CNST

Network Security Engineer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users