Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Forgot admin password Windows 7

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 TheCuttingEdge

TheCuttingEdge

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:43 AM

Posted 27 July 2017 - 11:34 AM

Hello there. I have a refurbished Lenovo ThinkCentre M28 running Windows 7. The computer was mainly used as a guest computer before, but I have forgotten the only admin password. I tried using Linux Mint to replace it, but it won't boot from USB. I tried running Ophcrack but I need to be admin to get to the encrypted SAM. Please help me ASAP. Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,293 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:43 AM

Posted 27 July 2017 - 02:46 PM

If you are not the owner, with Admin privileges...I suggest you contact the owner.

Alternatively...since I believe refurbs typically are sold with recovery disks...employ the recovery disks.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-security/lost-administrator-password-on-windows-7-any-way/d431ba57-7d25-4699-9ad2-5aa10d3e7fde

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 27 July 2017 - 02:49 PM.

#3 TheCuttingEdge

TheCuttingEdge
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2017 - 06:07 PM

I was not the original owner, but am the new owner. I probably should ask the original owner for help. Also, I never received recovery discs from the Original Owner.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,293 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:43 AM

Posted 27 July 2017 - 06:44 PM

When you say "refurbished", I assume that such was done by an agency which routinely does this as part of their business.  Selling such a system with no option for reinstall...is not the norm for these companies.

Louis

#5 TheCuttingEdge

TheCuttingEdge
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2017 - 07:26 PM

Yes, but another person bought it originally (the Original Owner) and they had no other use for it, so they gave it to me. I HAD the password written down, but it accidentally got thrown away, and I was stupid enough not to change the password. Please help me. I tried starting Linux Mint install from USB, but it didn't work.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,444 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:43 AM

Posted 27 July 2017 - 08:11 PM

What is the version of Windows 7 on the computer? Is there a COA sticker on the side of the computer with a legible key? Typically you can do a factory reset by tapping F11, at boot but you would lose any programs installed by the original owner. 

I could not find any info on that particular model number. Is that the full model number shown on the back of the desktop?

#7 Malloert

Malloert

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:43 PM

Posted 28 July 2017 - 04:54 AM

If you are not the owner, with Admin privileges...I suggest you contact the owner.

Alternatively...since I believe refurbs typically are sold with recovery disks...employ the recovery disks.

Louis

As i know , without any disks , we can still recover Windows 7 admin password , 

#8 ArminLinder

ArminLinder

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:43 PM

Posted 01 August 2017 - 04:13 AM

Hi,

fortunately (from your perspective) Windows 7 (and AFAIK even W10) ist fairly easy to hack, if you got access to the hardware. You do, in any case, need a boot media which grants you NTFS file access to the harddrive. Any live Linux will do, Windows PE also, even the Windows Installation media. I prefer Linux Mint (or any life Linux), since Linux does conveniently bypass NTFS security, I don't have to mess with file permissions when doing the hack. But you need a bootable media, and the BIOS must allow it to boot.

Booting USB can be tricky on some machines sometimes, so if my favorite bootable USB stick fails, I do normally fall back to boot from CD/DVD media. An inexpensive external USB DVD drive does the job, if there isn't an internal drive available.

If everything fails, I bring the harddrive over to a different machine, and attach it as additional drive, which will always succeed unless some sort of harddrive encryption was enabled.

Once I have access to the drive, I usually implement the "On Screen Keyboard Hack" (technically all what's needed is to replace a specific OS file with a different OS file, both already beeing conveniently part of the original Windows installation), a reboot using the original OS and then I can get a console with administrative privileges directly from the login screen - without any login. In there I use the "net user" and "net localgroup" commands to reset the password or grant administartive privleges to any use account I want. The details about how to hack oskb.exe are widely known, the trick has been around for almost 10 years if not longer, it may be looked up using Google, there are even plenty of clips about how to do it on Youtube, so I am not really giving out top secret or illegal informations here.

Note: in many cases it's not a forgotten administrator password alone, but the fact that per default the administrator account is disabled. Use "net user {accountname}" to check all relevant settings for your accounts, or add new accounts. "Net localgroup" commands can be used to check the "Administrators" group memberships, or to add any user account to the Administrators group. Being a member of the "Administrators" Group or not makes the difference between having an ordinary user account and a powerful administrative account. There isn't any practical way to get an existing account's password in plain text, but having gained Administrator privilege you can always change any account's password, without having to know the old password.

As soon as you got your accounts and group memberships and passwords right, you may instantly use one to login as administrator, no reboot required. Most likely you will want to reverse the changes to oskb, which you can instantly do using your revived Administrator account, no need to go through all the USB/DVD boot hassles another time.

Armin.

Edited by ArminLinder, 01 August 2017 - 04:58 AM.

#9 Mansksy

Mansksy

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2017 - 04:54 AM

Hello there. I have a refurbished Lenovo ThinkCentre M28 running Windows 7. The computer was mainly used as a guest computer before, but I have forgotten the only admin password. I tried using Linux Mint to replace it, but it won't boot from USB. I tried running Ophcrack but I need to be admin to get to the encrypted SAM. Please help me ASAP. Thanks in advance.

If you're laptop is signed into Windows live (Microsoft account) then all you have to do is reset your Microsoft account password. if it's local account, you can try some windows password reset tool like tunesbro, ntpassword, ophrack.

#10 Unique Obsession

Unique Obsession

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:43 PM

Posted 16 August 2017 - 12:20 AM

Getting into the pc would be very easy.

But maybe the previous owner still has passwords or personal stuff still stored on the machine.

There could even be keys for stuff they paid for... with that in mind can't help sorry.

Best option is contact the old owner and write the password down again.

#11 Jhaveli332

Jhaveli332

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:13 PM

Posted 16 August 2017 - 02:04 AM

You can also enable the hidden admin account and use it for login.

#12 Iaceryu

Iaceryu

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2017 - 04:53 AM

How to reset Windows 7 password ,

If you're laptop is signed into Windows live (Microsoft account) then all you have to do is reset your Microsoft account password. if it's local account, you can try some windows password reset tool like tunesbro, ntpassword, ophrack.

These Windows password recovery tool are not free  , why not use CMD , Microsoft account or Super account to reset Windindows local account and password , they are free .

I have succeed reset Windows password on my dell laptop with Microsoft account .

Edited by Iaceryu, 16 August 2017 - 04:56 AM.

#13 Mansksy

Mansksy

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2017 - 03:48 AM

Yes, but another person bought it originally (the Original Owner) and they had no other use for it, so they gave it to me. I HAD the password written down, but it accidentally got thrown away, and I was stupid enough not to change the password. Please help me. I tried starting Linux Mint install from USB, but it didn't work.

as i said, if you're laptop is signed into Windows live (Microsoft account) then all you have to do is reset your Microsoft account password. if it's local account, you can try some windows password reset tool like tunesbro, ntpassword, ophrack.

all you need to prepare is:  USB drive or DVD, and another working computer.

Edited by Mansksy, 17 August 2017 - 03:48 AM.

#14 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,444 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:43 AM

Posted 17 August 2017 - 07:21 AM

For removing a local login password or enabling the Hidden Administrator account there is no reason to purchase any software if not used for commercial use.

Use Lazesoft Home which is totally free and works. Besides recovering passwords the suite will also do the following

• Lazesoft Windows Recovery - Windows System Recovery, Fix Windows boot problems
  • Lazesoft Data Recovery - recover data from deleted, formatted, damaged disk/drive/partition
  • Lazesoft Recover My Password - Windows Password Recovery
  • Lazesoft Disk Image & Clone - Disk Backup, Clone and Partition Manager

http://www.lazesoft.com/lazesoft-recovery-suite-free.html

#15 Monty_Mole

Monty_Mole

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:43 PM

Posted 17 August 2017 - 07:27 AM

Nobody mentioned Hiren yet? I thought that was the go-to tool for stuff like this.

For me , the easiest way would be to boot from a Hirens disk ( free - google it ) and use its password recovery tool.

Alternatively :

Boot from anything else (or put the hdd in a caddy etc)  to gain access to the hard drive files then simply:

Rename the "cmd.exe" file to "OSK.EXE" Restart the computer and come back to the logon screen. Click the Ease of Access Center button on the login screen, and choose the On-Screen Keyboard item. Execute the command line: "lusrmgr.msc" in the pop-up Command Prompt . The Local users admin thingy will pop up so that you can reset the admin password.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users