Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable to Create New Folders

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 mwpanzer

mwpanzer

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:47 AM

Posted 27 July 2017 - 10:49 AM

I have a Dell laptop running Windows 10 and very recently, I've been unable to create new folders. When I right click, the New option is there, but then clicking it does nothing. Any ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zainmax

zainmax

• Banned
  • 344 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:47 PM

Posted 27 July 2017 - 11:02 AM

Usually the problem appears if Windows cache or/and registry are not cleaned or they are damaged. 
If all other right-click menus works, is most likely damaged registry. 

#3 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,844 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:47 AM

Posted 27 July 2017 - 11:04 AM

My standard starting advice when dealing with any "weirdness" under Windows 8 or Windows 10 is to follow the steps in these instructions:

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.  Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.

~ Mark Twain

#4 mwpanzer

mwpanzer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2017 - 02:07 PM

Okay, tried SFC and it said there was nothing wrong found with the system and the same issue is happening.

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,827 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2017 - 02:31 PM

Use the registry file here to set your New context menu back to default. You must be logged in as administrator. I would create a Restore Point before importing the registry file.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/24412-new-context-menu-restore-default-items-windows-10-a.html

#6 mwpanzer

mwpanzer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2017 - 08:50 PM

That didn't work unfortunately. 

#7 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,844 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2017 - 09:00 PM

Are you able to make new folders/directories via other ways?

For instance, if you open Command Prompt or PowerShell (Hit WinKey+X and one of these two in both regular and Admin) can you enter the command mkdir abc (or whatever other junk folder name you prefer) and have the directory created?  You can check afterward by looking with File Explorer or typing the command dir a*. which should show all files and folders starting with the letter A.  If it is created you can remove it with rmdir abc or use File Explorer if it will allow you to delete folders.

Checking this would at least determine whether there's something going on that's deeper than an issue with File Explorer.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.  Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.

~ Mark Twain

#8 mwpanzer

mwpanzer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2017 - 09:29 PM

Yes using that command worked. I also tried to create a folder in safe mode and it didn't work.

#9 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,844 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2017 - 09:33 PM

Did you run the DISM command?  If not, please refer back to the document and do so under an elevated Command Prompt or Power Shell.

~ Mark Twain

#10 mwpanzer

mwpanzer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2017 - 09:38 PM

I did run it and I got some kind of message saying it couldn't or that that action wasn't available.

#11 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,844 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2017 - 10:18 PM

Try again, making sure to copy it exactly: DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

Also, please post the message(s) returned when it completes.

~ Mark Twain

#12 mwpanzer

mwpanzer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2017 - 08:25 AM

Okay, this time it ran. I let it run, restarted, but same issue. If it helps, whenever I place the cursor over the New option, the next menu doesn't even pop up, it actually looks like File Explorer crashes because the screen will go black and come back to the desktop. 

#13 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,844 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2017 - 09:12 AM

If DISM is not able to run successfully, and given the weirdness that's going on, my next step would be to back up all of my user data files, take an inventory of what apps/desktop apps I have installed on the computer (Belarc Advisor is good for this), then do a Windows Reset (Settings->Update & Security-> Recovery Pane) choosing the "Keep my files" option.  This is all presuming that you're on Version 1703 of Windows 10.

If you're still on 1607, then I'd still do the user data backup, but I'd then get a copy of the Windows 10 ISO file from the Microsoft Windows 10 Download Page, create bootable media, and follow these instructions for Updating Windows 10 Using the Windows 10 ISO File.  The really handy thing is that you don't even need to get into changing boot order, etc., if you're using it to update.

You have some sort of system corruption and I'd see if a Reset or Update fix it first and, if not, a clean install is in order (for which you'd also need the media you create above).

~ Mark Twain

#14 mwpanzer

mwpanzer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2017 - 06:06 PM

Thank you so much! The Windows restore worked perfectly!

#15 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,844 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2017 - 06:12 PM

Glad to hear it!!

Just for the sake of complete clarity, though, what I had you do is not a system restore, but a Windows 10 version update.   Since this sort of update involves replacing vast swaths of the Windows 10 operating system (OS) , at least in most cases, it will often solve problems that stem from corruption to the OS.

Given what you had posted it was obvious to me that some sort of corruption to Windows 10 itself was at play.  While you could have done a Windows 10 Reset for version 1607 it doesn't make as much sense as doing the update to version 1703 since that version is being rolled out right now.

If you did go the Reset route that's still not what tech geeks mean when they talk about doing a system restore.  It's more of a system repair or alternate form of reinstalling the OS.

Edited by britechguy, 02 August 2017 - 06:14 PM.

~ Mark Twain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users