Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Moving hardware raid to new motherboard

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 AlexGA

AlexGA

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:14 AM

Posted 27 July 2017 - 08:32 AM

Hi

I have a hardware RAID card installed and am looking to chnage motherboard, from what I understand - If i move the card to the new board, the data and settings will remain as everything is stored on the card and not the motherboard. Is this correct?

Thanks

Alex

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,572 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:14 AM

Posted 27 July 2017 - 09:42 AM

What data and settings...are you referring to?

I have employed several RAID controller cards in the past...each time the card is moved to a new motherboard/system, it must be installed.  That results in the new system now having two BIOSes (one for the card, one for the system) to properly set up in the system BIOS.

I know of no settings/data that are stored on the RAID controller, other than the BIOS.  All data is stored on employed hard drives.

It's been a few years since I even thought about using my controller cards, so my under standing may be clouded by lack of current situations.

Louis

#3 AlexGA

AlexGA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2017 - 10:25 AM

Hi Louis

Thanks for the reply. Sorry what I meant is that if I transfer the card and drivers to a new motherboard will all the array stay intact or do I need to back the data up and then rebuid the array onc.e the card is reinstalled in the new motherboard?

Thanks

Alex

#4 rqt

rqt

• Members
  • 374 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2017 - 10:46 AM

Be safe - back the whole thing up (twice) even if you think that just moving the array might work.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,572 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:14 AM

Posted 27 July 2017 - 03:15 PM

Of course...if Windows is installed on the RAID...that's a different set of potential problems (moving Windows to a different system).  The settings/drivers will not normally successfully move from one motherboard/system to a different system/different motherboard.

Louis.

#6 AlexGA

AlexGA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2017 - 02:36 AM

Thanks for all the help. I'll back up and then move everything over just to be sure.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users