Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Does internet use harm laptop performance

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Mojo_scotland

Mojo_scotland

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2017 - 08:23 AM

Hi, new user :)

I have two laptops. I work as a professional nightclub DJ using big screen visuals which is processor heavy.

The DJ/Visual programs I use can be temperamental , it doesn't take much to upset it and cause a dropout....and the laptop needs to be 'super-clean' - no bugs etc - it's usb linked to other DJ hardware....ie: a lot of stuff talks to each other.

I have another cheap laptop I use for general promotional work. Hotmail, Facebook, eBay, fiverr etc (all 'safe' websites)

However, the cheap laptop (£200) performance is driving me crazy, I'm now finding myself doing this promotional work on my dedicated DJ laptop.

I'm worried I damage the DJ laptop by using the websites above, ideally the DJ laptop is only used for my performances.

Should I be worried? I'm close the buying a MBP for the promotional work.

Thank you
Craig

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,237 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:45 PM

Posted 27 July 2017 - 10:19 AM

Well, your "cheap laptop" is really not all that cheap.  What OS is running on it?   You might want to consider reinstalling the OS from scratch after having backed up all your user data on an external drive and gotten an inventory of the programs you've actually got installed on it using Belarc Advisor or similar so you don't forget anything.

My guess is that over time your "cheap laptop" has become quite "junked up" if you have not been doing fairly routine housekeeping on it.  Things like scads of temp files can build up, browser cache can become corrupted, junkware become installed (that you may or may not know about), etc.  Reinstalling the OS gives you a clean slate.

If you don't want to go that far as a first step, I would recommend that you download Piriform's CCleaner Free, install it, and run it using only the following two functions:

1) Cleaner Function    When you do this, make sure to look at both the Windows Tab and the Applications Tab (screenshots below).  For the web browsers you actively use on your computer I only select cleaning for Internet Cache, Last Download Location, and Compact Databases [where applicable].  For any of the others you very seldom use let it stay with the defaults.

On the Windows Tab:

ccleaner_cleaner_windows.jpg

Make sure you've unchecked all of the items under Windows Explorer since most people like things like most recently used jump lists and don't want them wiped out.  You can see what I use with regard to the rest of the settings at the bottom of this list in the screen shot above.  What you can't see at the top are the entries for Internet Explorer and Edge browsers.  Follow the advice I've already mentioned above for browsers with regard to these two.

On the Applications Tab:

ccleaner_cleaner_applications.jpg

Notice what I have checked for Chrome and Firefox, which are the browsers I use all the time:  Internet Cache, Last Download Location, Compact Databases

For all of the categories beneath these:  Windows Store, Applications, Internet, Multimedia, Utilities, and Windows I keep everything checked for cleaning that shows up in the respective lists.

2) Tools Function, Startup Item

ccleaner_tools_startup.jpg

This one is a bit trickier.  There will be lots of things in here that you really aren't sure whether you should disable or not, and when in doubt, don't - at least not at first.  However, there will probably be a number of programs that are being automatically started in the background that you know that you don't use very often at all and that can be fired up on the occasions you need them.  Some examples in the screenshot above are Skype, Garmin Express, & Raptr.  When you see entries like this you can simply select them and hit the Disable button for them.  The next time you start up your computer they will not be started to run in the background.  This allows you to see if your computer is running better and/or whether you've disabled something that you really don't want to keep disabled.  If you find that some "essential function" for you seems to have somehow "gone missing" then check the items you have disabled.  It's most likely that one of these needs to be reenabled.  The beauty of this function is that as you gain some confidence, and can tolerate self-induced weirdness and know how to reverse it, you can try disabling things you weren't certain whether you could disable to see if that gets you a performance boost without killing something that you want.  Obviously, don't disable things from Microsoft, or the controllers for your audio cards, or similar.  As you can see from my list, these things are fairly obvious and one would likely be disinclined to touch them to begin with, but forewarned is forearmed!

It also never hurts to install a free anti-malware scanner such as Malwarebytes or Zemana and run it occasionally as a complement to your antivirus (and I have to assume you have one running and it keeps itself up to date.  If not, then the first order of business is getting one on your machine!!)

If you're someone who downloads and installs freeware of various sorts I strongly suggest getting and installing Unchecky, which will keep lots of unwanted bundled software from installing along with the thing you are actually trying to install.

I also like Spywareblaster as a way to help keep my computer safer.  It is not a program that runs in the background, but instead it tweaks some system files behind the scenes that will prevent you from ever navigating to websites known to be "dens of spyware"

Last, but not least, having an ad blocker on your web browsers can not only block annoying adds, but speed things up quite a bit in many instances.  The one I'm using on Chrome and Firefox is uBlock Origin, and the extension or add-on for same can be found by going in to the extension or add-on manager for your specific browser, searching for "uBlock Origin," and installing it.

I hope some of the above might help to speed up your system before taking the step of doing a clean sweep by reinstalling the operating system.  If you do end up doing that, I still suggest downloading and installing the items mentioned above and using CCleaner on some regular interval (say once a month or once every two months) to tidy up your system.

Edited by britechguy, 27 July 2017 - 10:21 AM.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Presenting the willfully ignorant with facts is the very definition of casting pearls before swine.

~ Brian Vogel

#3 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:45 PM

Posted 27 July 2017 - 02:36 PM

Brian, I suggest that you put your comment as a standalone, pinned topic in the Tips and Tricks forum. I think that about ~15-20% of the problems people have, when they come for help to this website, can be resolved by what you wrote - a good, persistent clean-up. God knows I've got tired of writing some variation or another of that same comment to so many assistance-seeking people.:)

#4 Mojo_scotland

Mojo_scotland
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2017 - 03:23 PM

Great reply, thanks. I always use c-cleaner .

However, even with using c-cleaner does general browsing of 'safe' websites cause the possibility of reduced performance of critical programs?

Thanks

#5 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2017 - 03:31 PM

Yes, because you accumulate temporary files in your computer that, as with anything temporary in life, prove to stay forever and somewhat clutter your system. CCleaner does take care of cleaning up those files whenever you use it. Also, of course, your computer will be slower if you browse the Internet and use your DJ applications at the same time. Do 1 at a time if you seek speed.:)

#6 Mojo_scotland

Mojo_scotland
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2017 - 04:04 PM

Thanks. Normally I'm using the internet during the day...then using the DJ program at night (with the wi-fi turned off)

Do you feel a separate, new , MBP for my internet work is a safer choice?

Thanks

#7 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2017 - 04:27 PM

As long as you have the money to spend and don't feel too overwhelmed having 2 laptops, the MBP for Internet work is definitely a safer choice. No-one would be able to hack into your DJ computer trough the Internet that way and destroy all your recordings. It's your choice in the end; whatever suits your needs, mate.:)

#8 Mojo_scotland

Mojo_scotland
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2017 - 05:22 PM

Thanks, MBP tomorrow I think.

Appreciate the help.

Craig

#9 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2017 - 05:23 PM

No worries, man. Keep up the good work!:thumbup2:

#10 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,237 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:45 PM

Posted 27 July 2017 - 05:34 PM

OK, seriously, someone clue me in on what MBP means.  I seriously have not been able to figure it out though I presume a portable device of some sort that's not a laptop.

The original question is, in my opinion, an unanswerable one.  It is conceivably possible that any computer that interacts with cyberspace could be compromised in some way but if you practice safe surfing practices and routinely clean up the trash on your machine it shouldn't.  The same could literally be said about computers that don't interact with cyberspace depending on what programs are installed on it.

That existing laptop that was the "surfing one" should easily be able to handle that task.  If it's performance has started lagging considerably then I'd back up my user data and reinstall the operating system to go back to a clean slate.  The original performance should return and if it doesn't that suggests something else may be wrong.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Presenting the willfully ignorant with facts is the very definition of casting pearls before swine.

~ Brian Vogel

#11 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2017 - 05:41 PM

:lmao: I too was confused at first and started reading MBP as mortgage-backed... and then I got stuck at the P, both because this topic has nothing to do with mortgages, so it didn't make sense, and because the next letter in the abbreviation was P and not S for securities. Anyways, MBP = MacBook Pro :)

Edited by Just_One_Question, 27 July 2017 - 05:42 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users