Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Purchase ink refill kit or buy new cartridge

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 frldyz

frldyz

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:41 AM

Posted 27 July 2017 - 08:10 AM

I purchased a brother worksmart printer,scanner and fax machine last year.
I only print and scan.  I don't scan and print photos.  I only scan documents or scan photos into the computer.

model: MFC-J880DW
ink series: LC201 ( standard yield ink series )
                LC203 ( high yield ink series )

I purchased this printer because somewhere I read it was a good all in one printer.   My opinion.... ehhh....  Doesn't hold much paper and seems to go thru ink like crazy.

I'm out of black ink ( ... again..... ).
In the past I've purchased cartridges from ebay.  ( they don't seem to last long ) and from office max ( insanely expensive ).

Is it in my best interest just to purchase a refill kit and refill my cartridges as needed and save money?
1.  Just not sure how well the refill kits work.  Gimmicky or legit?
2.  Is one kit or brand better then another?
3.  Can all cartridges be refilled?
4.  Ebay a good place to buy these kits or are they cheap and %$%%%?

Thansk in advance everyone

Edited by hamluis, 27 July 2017 - 09:35 AM.
Moved from Internal to External Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,554 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2017 - 09:28 AM

Inkjets are notorious for two qualities:  they are inexpensive...they are money-makers for the manufacturer because of ink consumption.

Worth A Read.

My suggestion would be to go to a laser printer of choice and gain more value for your dollars.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 27 July 2017 - 09:34 AM.

#3 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,522 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:41 AM

Posted 27 July 2017 - 10:53 AM

I have been using refillable ink cartridges with ARCs (auto-reset chips) on my Canon printers for over a decade now and they save me a fortune in both money and the aggravation of running out of ink and having to run to the store for a replacement cartridge.

I have always purchased my sets on eBay, and those for yours are in this eBay Search.  Make sure that the ones you choose have the auto-reset chip feature since without it you cannot use the cartridges and need to by the ARCs separately (which I've actually done once when one of my ARCs failed - and they are specific to the cartridge color).

Large sized bottles of inkjet ink are available for very low cost (those shown in that search aren't nearly as low as you can find) and 1 1L bottle is a "virtual lifetime supply" and can be used later with another printer if your current one dies or you elect to go with another inkjet printer with separate ink tanks for each color.

I recently acquired two new Canon TS series printers and need to get two sets of the ARC chip tanks so I have them when the OEM ink tanks run out.

Brian AKA Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

In a modern society where everyone thinks their opinion deserves to be heard nothing annoys me more than individuals who mistake their personal preferences for fact.

~ Commenter TheCruyffGurn on the The Guardian website, 8/13/2014

#4 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,335 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2017 - 11:45 AM

I'll second hamluis, if you're going through ink look for a laser printer.  Even laser printer starter cartridges are good for more than 400 pages.  I've been using color lasers for the past decade and I replace the printer before I have to replace the toner.  The price of laser printers and multi function devices has come way down.  You can pick up a color laser multi function device for under $300.  The Xerox WorkCentre 6027 toner cartridges for rated at 2,000 pages, while they are more expensive than ink, about $77, they last many times longer.  The high yield cartridges for your printer are rated for 550 pages and cost $32 each, so you get about twice as many pages for half the cost.

#5 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,522 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:41 AM

Posted 27 July 2017 - 12:01 PM

But the question wasn't about whether laser printers are a better option (which for high volume operations in particular there's no doubt they are), but about whether refillable ink cartridges "are legit."

I'm living proof that they are, and it takes a very, very long time to go through the ink you can get for these cartridges at a far lower cost, including the cartridges, than a single laser toner cartridge.

If someone is doing really high volume and wants inkjet for some reason then I'd suggest going to a CISS (Continuous Ink Supply System), such as this one for the OPs printer.  A CISS is overkill for me, even though there's lots of printing in my household.

Brian AKA Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

In a modern society where everyone thinks their opinion deserves to be heard nothing annoys me more than individuals who mistake their personal preferences for fact.

~ Commenter TheCruyffGurn on the The Guardian website, 8/13/2014

#6 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,512 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2017 - 03:27 PM

...and for those like me who are not brave enough to refill their own cartridges, there are many good to high quality refill shops around.  I went to one, he gave me a short cook's tour -- I will go to them again, when the well is drying up.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#7 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,623 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:41 AM

Posted 27 July 2017 - 06:46 PM

I have used LD Ink for years, and have had excellent service, good princes and quality carts. I don't know what you are currently paying but it would take only a minute to compare if you are interested.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#8 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,739 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:41 AM

Posted 27 July 2017 - 07:00 PM

I have found that it is okay to refill cartriges but if doing photos, keep with the manufacturers cartridges, not refilled or third party.  The colors on refills aren't exactly close with the manufacturers so the color may be slightly off.  Refills are plentiful and will work in just about any cartridge.  Refilling is the trick to find the right point to insert the needle,  so even need little holes in the top to refill.  I like the HP units, they usually have a sticker on top and the fill holes are underneath.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users