Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New PC Display Lock-Up/Freeze followed by trouble booting(No POST)

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 r0bbi3

r0bbi3

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:27 PM

Posted 27 July 2017 - 07:57 AM

I recently built a new computer last week. New CPU, new Mobo, new Ram, new CPU fan, new SSD, and fresh install of windows 10. Kept my old GPU and old PSU. 

Part List:
PSU: RaidMax 850w https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817152043
GPU: Nvidia GeForce 960 GTX
CPU: Intel - Core i7-7700K 4.2GHz Quad-Core Processor 
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master - Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler
Motherboard: MSI - Z270-A PRO ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory

Everything was up and running perfectly, incredibly fast and smooth; Drivers installed, etc. The problem I ran into within 2 hours was a video lock-up/screen freeze(cursor frozen) requiring a shut down while playing a game. After this, the computer has difficulty booting: As in No POST, No power or signal being sent to keyboard/mouse/monitor. To get it to boot again I usually have to unplug the PSU for a few minutes. But, this problem just repeats itself.

Troubleshooting:
I have been troubleshooting for 4 days. It seems the hardware is all good after testing individually. Questionable faulty motherboard/CPU as always but the products are brand new. I'm just a beginner and have built PCs in the past but I have never run into an issue like this.

How to Reproduce the Issue:
The freeze can be reproduced by playing games for 30+ minutes or running stress programs like Prime95(I read Prime95 isn't the best test, its more like CPU torture). The freeze most often happens immediately when I EXIT games and also most often when I STOP the Prime95 test. The freeze has happened when I was idle in a game as well. 

Other info:
The computer never freezes idle on the desktop

The computer did not freeze under a GPU stress test

I have not adjusted any overclocking settings; should all be on default
Temperatures always look fine

I have read about conflicts with motherboards/cpus in regards to BIOS/Defaults/Voltage/Overclocking. Does this apply?

Does it seem like a power/voltage problem?

Could it be poor power from my house/outlet? 
Does it seem like a BIOS problem? 

Video BIOS problem?

What should I try next?

I am unfamiliar with PSU issues, BIOS, voltage, overclocking, etc.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:27 PM

Posted 27 July 2017 - 12:50 PM

Check to make sure that your fans are running - particularly CPU and video card fans.

Please run this report collecting tool so that we can provide a complete analysis: (from the pinned topic at the top of the forum)   http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/576314/blue-screen-of-death-bsod-posting-instructions-windows-10-81-8-7-vista/
NOTE:  On problem systems it can take up to 20 minutes for the log files to complete.  Please be patient and let it run.

If you still have problems with it running, there's an alternate tool here (direct download link):  https://github.com/blueelvis/BSOD-Inspector/releases/download/1.0.5/BSODInspector-1.0.5.exe

NOTE:
Please zip up the (.ZIP) files - do not use .RAR, .7z or other compression utilities. 
.ZIP is the type file that can be uploaded to the forums.

While waiting for a reply, please start with these free hardware diagnostics:  http://www.carrona.org/hwdiag.html

Please start with the video tests (Furmark and the "Other video" tests), but complete ALL of the tests and let us know the results.

Good luck!

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users