Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Massive amounts of Client

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 PCeditorpro

PCeditorpro

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:04 AM

Posted 27 July 2017 - 07:07 AM

I'm looking a way to handle a massive amount of clients once/twice a month. My original thoughts were that to just buy a few Asus AC66U set them up in bridge mode and then let them go at it. I used my old RT-N66U and it handled about a 1/4 of the the full load like a champ so I think a few of the newer version should do fine. My bigger concern was trying to bridge everything together and allowing devices to jump around. Would one of the AC66U be fine as a base of operations or should I run a flavor of Lunix to handle everything and then connect them all to that? Thoughts on this? The highest number of clients I have counted would be about 300 but I don't need to handle them all. If I can that would be amazing but not necessary.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 arlattimor

arlattimor

• Members
  • 591 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2017 - 10:35 AM

I am not sure I understand your network description. So you wish to use 1 Asus AC66U as that main router that is physically connected to your internet connection. Then you wish to use 2 others as Wireless Repeaters correct? 

A. Lattimore

CCNA, CWNA, MCITP, MCSA, MCT, MCP, Security+, Server+, Linux+, Network+, A+, CNST

Network Security Engineer

#3 PCeditorpro

PCeditorpro
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2017 - 12:49 PM

All 3 would have Ethernet access. I'm trying to make it so only one ssid shows up and the devices can jump to the different access points.

#4 arlattimor

arlattimor

• Members
  • 591 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2017 - 01:27 PM

So your layout should be something like this if I am understanding you correctly because you're not describing any other networking equipment used.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/RxvdFZLX2rmGZKii2

A. Lattimore

CCNA, CWNA, MCITP, MCSA, MCT, MCP, Security+, Server+, Linux+, Network+, A+, CNST

#5 PCeditorpro

PCeditorpro
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2017 - 04:00 PM

Yes

#6 arlattimor

arlattimor

• Members
  • 591 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2017 - 04:07 PM

How many of the Asus AC66U would you use as access points?

A. Lattimore

#7 arlattimor

arlattimor

• Members
  • 591 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2017 - 04:10 PM

I am assuming 4 because there is only 4 ethernet ports on the back of this model router.

A. Lattimore

#8 arlattimor

arlattimor

• Members
  • 591 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2017 - 04:31 PM

I don't believe you will be able to use this router. Unfortunately, it has a host limitation of 254 hosts. In order for you to support 300 hosts, you would have to configure the DHCP settings of the router with a CIDR notation of /23 or 255.255.254.0 which gives you 510 possibles hosts. As far as using them as Access Points there should be no problems, but you would need some other router to act as your DHCP Server.

A. Lattimore

#9 arlattimor

arlattimor

• Members
  • 591 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2017 - 04:40 PM

Now if you wish to get you a cheap Cisco 1841 and a cheap ethernet switch. With 3 or 4 Asus AC66U you will be just fine.  :thumbup2:

Edited by arlattimor, 27 July 2017 - 04:57 PM.

A. Lattimore

#10 PCeditorpro

PCeditorpro
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2017 - 08:43 PM

OK after some more reading and getting to look around more at where all this needs to go. Here is what I have come up with. First AC66U will be facing the internet, the rest will be behind it as access points. Just like in your picture. Now I have 3 questions.

1. Could I put behind the first AC66U an old desktop running Ubuntu with DHCP to deal with IP limitations?

2. Is there going to be to much load put on the internet facing router and that is why I would need a wired router?

3. If I was able to tap into another network and not need the switch could I still run multiple connections across the network without the one in front of the rest?

I am a CS student that has not had much exposure to networking. I did buy a few books on the subject suggested by my professor but haven't had a chance to see real world application yet.

#11 arlattimor

arlattimor

• Members
  • 591 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2017 - 09:01 PM

When do you need this to be setup?

A. Lattimore

#12 PCeditorpro

PCeditorpro
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2017 - 09:07 PM

In about a week. There is an event at the end of next week I'm trying to be ready for to test this system.

#13 arlattimor

arlattimor

• Members
  • 591 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2017 - 09:30 PM

So you are looking for something like this?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Po9kB6phv0FZQpBm2

A. Lattimore

#14 arlattimor

arlattimor

• Members
  • 591 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2017 - 09:35 PM

Do you have a small workgroup switch available?

A. Lattimore

#15 PCeditorpro

PCeditorpro
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2017 - 09:49 PM

Please excuse me poor drawings but I think setup A would be better because I would have more control over what IP addresses can be used vs setup B where I would have to work with current hardware for the desktops in the office. Attached is a link to both digrams. 

https://docs.google.com/drawings/d/14RxcrkUafDeeZiEwIp_NDtL5FvCgcxvebL52TLznB6A/edit?usp=sharing

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users