Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Fake cell phone provider texts

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 frogbreath

frogbreath

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:32 PM

Posted 27 July 2017 - 05:49 AM

I keep getting on a new phone fake phishing and malware infected links from a fake mobile provider in texts.

I haven't given the number to anyone while I learn to use it. How is it possible for someone to know my number and send me these fake texts. I'm very new to mobile phones this is my first.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:32 PM

Posted 27 July 2017 - 07:18 AM

Depending on the permissions that you give them, many apps, if I am not mistaken, are allowed to check up and share your mobile number and contact list for advertising purposes. You can change all the permissions for each individual app in the Settings menu of your Android phone under Apps. Also, it's possible that your telecommunications provider has sold your number to random, cold-call, advertisers - you can contact them and state that you don't want to be contacted for advertising purposes and they are required to scratch you off their list. :)

Edited by Just_One_Question, 27 July 2017 - 07:19 AM.

#3 frogbreath

frogbreath
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2017 - 07:35 AM

These are fake phone provider texts that want me to click on a link that's dodgy. So far have had a few all fake some lead to malware and some to phishing sites each time the link has been flagged as bad as soon as it comes in.

I doubt the real provider is behind this funny thought though. It's 100% fake texts to malicious sites.

#4 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2017 - 07:47 AM

Just to be sure in that case, it would be good to run an Avast scan on your phone, a Malwarebytes scan and CCleaner. After that, restart your smartphone and only download apps via the Google Play Store.:)

#5 frogbreath

frogbreath
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2017 - 10:43 AM

Thanks just_one_question but I've done that all ready and still they come ran zemana all so which has a brilliant detection rate and nothing some one or group must have the number but how.

#6 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2017 - 11:20 AM

Do a reset on your cell phone: (This will revert it back to the condition it was when it was brand new - You will lose your data, so back it up beforehand if you'd like)

1.Turn off your smartphone
2.Press the buttons (trying out different mix of 2 or 3 of them at the same time) for 10 seconds
3.Select Clear eMMC or Reset
4.Turn on your smartphone

If this doesn't stop the issue, contact your mobile provider - they will ban whoever keeps sending you those messages.:)

#7 frogbreath

frogbreath
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2017 - 11:39 AM

Its a number that differs every time but pretends to be my mobile phone provider so don't think resetting will solve it I will give it a go but won't know for a while as they seem to come about 1 or 2 a week. Some ones trying for sure I hate mobiles all ready this is my first one and so far not a good experience lol.

I might just change the number and reset the phone once the credit has gone as it's a pay as you go thankfully. 

Edited by frogbreath, 27 July 2017 - 11:40 AM.

#8 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2017 - 01:56 PM

Hope you have good luck! The main reason these problems keep happening is that smartphones are essentially computers as any other laptop, for example, so they too suffer from all those virus/ransomware bull**** that is prevalent among such Internet-connected technologies. I personally use a Yezz Classic C23A with a 312Mhz processor and have none of those problems - it's just a phone + organizer, that's all. With time I am sure that you will learn the tricks of the smartphones and will not have any such problems in the future.:)

#9 frogbreath

frogbreath
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2017 - 03:17 AM

Think I will follow your footsteps and get the phone you mention. I only need it for phoning and texts.

Thanks for your advice and help bud

#10 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2017 - 05:37 AM

No worries, do what suits your needs. As for the phone that I have - It looks and feels great in electric silver. It's perfect, considering its price-tag of $19, brand new, unlocked, off-contract. The sound quality during calls is not the greatest, though. Hope this helps you. If you don't have the best of hearing, do not switch to such a non-smartphone device, as their sound quality is oftentimes weaker than it is on smartphones, such as your Alcatel, which isn't that big of a surprise considering their much lower price. Everything else besides that works flawlessly, though. Good luck! :)

Edited by Just_One_Question, 28 July 2017 - 05:38 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users