Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Questions before buying new CPU

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
33 replies to this topic

#1 ThatcherHK

ThatcherHK

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:41 AM

Posted 27 July 2017 - 03:13 AM

Hi lads i got some questions about a new cpu that i'm going to buy next month.(If its not the right place i'm so sorry).
1:I stuck between choosing I5 6600 and I5 7600K those two got pros and cons for me here some of them:
If i buy I5 7600k i will get more power (If i'm not mistaken its about %15) but i would need to buy new ddr4 ram with more expensive motherboard and I5 7600K is 110 usd more expensive than I5 6600.
If i buy I5 6600 i can use my ddr3 ram with it and i can buy other things like a new ssd and hdd.
2: I got a old gpu HD 6970 will 6600 or 7600k bottleneck it?
3: If they can does bottleneck physically cause damage to the parts?
4: Also i need a motherboard suggestion for those cpu's 
End note: I'm sorry about my broken English i tried my best also:
1: I have to select from those 2 cpu's
2: Buying from a website is not possible for me

3: How long will they last

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,796 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:41 AM

Posted 27 July 2017 - 07:30 AM

Ignore the K sku if you cant buy a overclocking motherboard, plus you will need a cooler for it.

the I5 6600 will do if you cant buy online

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#3 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,166 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:41 AM

Posted 27 July 2017 - 08:46 AM

Hi lads i got some questions about a new cpu that i'm going to buy next month.(If its not the right place i'm so sorry).
1:I stuck between choosing I5 6600 and I5 7600K those two got pros and cons for me here some of them:
If i buy I5 7600k i will get more power (If i'm not mistaken its about %15) but i would need to buy new ddr4 ram with more expensive motherboard and I5 7600K is 110 usd more expensive than I5 6600.
If i buy I5 6600 i can use my ddr3 ram with it and i can buy other things like a new ssd and hdd.

The 7th generation (Kaby Lake) is a very small upgrade over the 6th (Skylake).  The main difference is in the clock speed.  Both support DDR4 or DDR3memory.  DDR3L is low voltage DDR3 (1.35v).  Standard DDR3 (1.5v) is not recommended on either processor.  Most motherboards now are designed for DDR4, but there are still a few DDR3 Socket 1151 boards on the market.

Comparison from Intel - http://ark.intel.com/compare/97144,88188

If there's that big of a price difference, the 6600 may make more sense. 

2: No. Nearly all games will tend to be GPU limited at resolutions people use these days (1080p +) rather than CPU limited.

3: No - "Bottlenecking" is an overused term which simply means one component (e.g. the CPU) is holding back another (e.g. the GPU).  There is no physical "danger" from this.  It can cause things like frame skipping.  I don't think that will happen in this case.

4: I've now used boards from the major manufacturers (Gigabyte, Asus, MSI and Asrock) and really have no specific brand preference.  It comes down to whether you want one with better expansion options, all the newer features (e.g. Ultra M.2, USB 3.1/USB C), or a cheap board that provides minimal features, and of course form factor (ATX, mATX, ITX etc.).

Choose a H110 based mATX motherboard for a cheap basic board.

Choose a B250 based mATX or ATX motherboard for a more fully featured board for a small price increase (supports M.2., 4 x RAM slots, some Crossfire support etc.)

Choose a Z270 based mATX or ATX motherboard for the most fully featured boards and when using a "K" CPU (supports overclocking, SLI on many boards etc.)

End Note

1: OK. So no point suggesting to look at an AMD Ryzen or anything else then...

2: OK

3: CPU's don't have a definitive life. If you mean how long will they still be useful, I should think they will be fine for at least 5 years.  Future CPU development is difficult to predict.

7sbvuf-6.png

#4 ThatcherHK

ThatcherHK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2017 - 09:21 AM

The 7th generation (Kaby Lake) is a very small upgrade over the 6th (Skylake).  The main difference is in the clock speed.  Both support DDR4 or DDR3memory.  DDR3L is low voltage DDR3 (1.35v).  Standard DDR3 (1.5v) is not recommended on either processor.  Most motherboards now are designed for DDR4, but there are still a few DDR3 Socket 1151 boards on the market.

Comparison from Intel - http://ark.intel.com/compare/97144,88188

If there's that big of a price difference, the 6600 may make more sense. 

2: No. Nearly all games will tend to be GPU limited at resolutions people use these days (1080p +) rather than CPU limited.

3: No - "Bottlenecking" is an overused term which simply means one component (e.g. the CPU) is holding back another (e.g. the GPU).  There is no physical "danger" from this.  It can cause things like frame skipping.  I don't think that will happen in this case.

4: I've now used boards from the major manufacturers (Gigabyte, Asus, MSI and Asrock) and really have no specific brand preference.  It comes down to whether you want one with better expansion options, all the newer features (e.g. Ultra M.2, USB 3.1/USB C), or a cheap board that provides minimal features, and of course form factor (ATX, mATX, ITX etc.).

Choose a H110 based mATX motherboard for a cheap basic board.

Choose a B250 based mATX or ATX motherboard for a more fully featured board for a small price increase (supports M.2., 4 x RAM slots, some Crossfire support etc.)

Choose a Z270 based mATX or ATX motherboard for the most fully featured boards and when using a "K" CPU (supports overclocking, SLI on many boards etc.)

End Note

1: OK. So no point suggesting to look at an AMD Ryzen or anything else then...

2: OK

3: CPU's don't have a definitive life. If you mean how long will they still be useful, I should think they will be fine for at least 5 years.  Future CPU development is difficult to predict.

Thanks for answers i asked same questions on a different forum and got some confusing answers like they said if i'm not going to overclock i should look for I7's without k so i searched a bit and found out i7 7700 is 50 dollar more than i5 7600k and with that they said buy a B250 motherboard with it i found MSI B250M BAZOOKA Intel B250 are they pair good? and ideal for me?

also got some questions too

1: I got 600 watt psu will it be a problem?

2:And last if i buy 7th gen cpu's do i have to buy liquid cooler with it? 

#5 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,344 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2017 - 01:11 PM

How much DDR3 memory do you have? It's not good idea to buy obsolete LGA1150 socket motherboard anyway.

As for CPU question, there is only two Intel CPU's for LGA1151 that make some sense, those are: i7-7700K and Pentium G4560. Everything else is either overpriced or crap, or both. That's because AMD Ryzen R5/R7 are much better choices. So if you are going for DDR4 route, there is not much reason to consider Intel.

For last 2 questions:

1. 600W PSU model and manufacturer?
2. No need for liquid cooler.

Edited by Drillingmachine, 27 July 2017 - 01:12 PM.

#6 ThatcherHK

ThatcherHK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2017 - 01:51 PM

How much DDR3 memory do you have? It's not good idea to buy obsolete LGA1150 socket motherboard anyway.

As for CPU question, there is only two Intel CPU's for LGA1151 that make some sense, those are: i7-7700K and Pentium G4560. Everything else is either overpriced or crap, or both. That's because AMD Ryzen R5/R7 are much better choices. So if you are going for DDR4 route, there is not much reason to consider Intel.

For last 2 questions:

1. 600W PSU model and manufacturer?
2. No need for liquid cooler.

I got 16 gig of ddr3 memory but since im proably going to buy ddr4 ram its not a problem

1: don know the model but opened the case and tried to check its a Dark 650w

2: Thanks

#7 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,166 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2017 - 01:56 PM

The MSI B250M Bazooka seems fine. It'll only run one graphics card, which is fine for most people.

As for CPU question, there is only two Intel CPU's for LGA1151 that make some sense, those are: i7-7700K and Pentium G4560. Everything else is either overpriced or crap, or both. 

OP has said he has a choice of an i5-6600 or an i5-7600K and only those CPU's (for some reason).  He has indicated the i5-6600 is cheaper by $100 USD.  Given the two perform within 10-15% of each other.  I would disagree with the assessment that they are "crap".  Maybe overpriced, but we don't know what he's paying for them so hard to assess, but with the $100 less clue, my hunch would be the i5-6600 would be better value for the OP.

The Radeon HD 6970 is quite a power hungry (250w TDP) and old card.  A high quality 600w PSU will be fine, but not a 600w "Generic" power supply.  Some of the generic PSU's that are supplied through Ebay and the like are lower wattage PSU's re-labelled.  A newer GPU could perform much better while using less power.

Edited by jonuk76, 27 July 2017 - 01:59 PM.

7sbvuf-6.png

#8 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,344 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2017 - 02:54 PM

OP has said he has a choice of an i5-6600 or an i5-7600K and only those CPU's (for some reason).  He has indicated the i5-6600 is cheaper by $100 USD.  Given the two perform within 10-15% of each other.  I would disagree with the assessment that they are "crap".  Maybe overpriced, but we don't know what he's paying for them so hard to assess, but with the $100 less clue, my hunch would be the i5-6600 would be better value for the OP.

When I posted, there are now another option, i7-7700. So it's pretty good question why there was two options and now there's three.

I said other LGA1151 Intel CPU's are overpriced, crap or both. Those are some of better options but still overpriced and thermal paste under heat spreader alone is big enough reason to call them crap.

#9 ThatcherHK

ThatcherHK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2017 - 03:09 PM

The MSI B250M Bazooka seems fine. It'll only run one graphics card, which is fine for most people.

As for CPU question, there is only two Intel CPU's for LGA1151 that make some sense, those are: i7-7700K and Pentium G4560. Everything else is either overpriced or crap, or both. 

The Radeon HD 6970 is quite a power hungry (250w TDP) and old card.  A high quality 600w PSU will be fine, but not a 600w "Generic" power supply.  Some of the generic PSU's that are supplied through Ebay and the like are lower wattage PSU's re-labelled.  A newer GPU could perform much better while using less power.

Hello thanks for answers but after a long search i managed to find I7 7700 for a good price and thinking about buying that.

Also my psu is not a good one do you have any recommendations?

Edit: after some research i found COOLER MASTER G750M is it good?

Edited by ThatcherHK, 27 July 2017 - 05:18 PM.

#10 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,166 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2017 - 11:23 PM

The Cooler Master G750M is not bad, certainly far better than a no-name power supply.  Where I am, it's expensive for what it is, but pricing varies in different regions.  Where I am a EVGA Supernova G3 550w costs similar, which I would go for every time if I didn't really need 750w (and based on what you are using a quality 500w PSU will be just fine, as long as you have no plans to run 2 GPU's in the future.)

7sbvuf-6.png

#11 ThatcherHK

ThatcherHK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2017 - 05:32 AM

The Cooler Master G750M is not bad, certainly far better than a no-name power supply.  Where I am, it's expensive for what it is, but pricing varies in different regions.  Where I am a EVGA Supernova G3 550w costs similar, which I would go for every time if I didn't really need 750w (and based on what you are using a quality 500w PSU will be just fine, as long as you have no plans to run 2 GPU's in the future.)

I actually search for evga psu's but cant find one sadly.What about CORSAIR's psu's like cx series 80 plus 750w or builder vs series 650w

Edit v2: Kinda thinking about buyin vs 650w because people say its not bad and  cx is bit too much.

Edited by ThatcherHK, 28 July 2017 - 06:43 AM.

#12 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,166 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2017 - 01:30 AM

The new CX's look quite nice PSU's, and I like the 5 year warranty.  Review here.  I haven't seen any reviews of the current VS's, but a three year warranty is better than some offer.  I expect it is alright, and definitely better than a no name item.

7sbvuf-6.png

#13 ThatcherHK

ThatcherHK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2017 - 05:23 AM

The new CX's look quite nice PSU's, and I like the 5 year warranty.  Review here.  I haven't seen any reviews of the current VS's, but a three year warranty is better than some offer.  I expect it is alright, and definitely better than a no name item.

Thanks for reply but there is 110 dollar diffrence between VS and CX so i choose VS also here is my end list can you rate it or say will it work good?

Kingston 16GB HyperX Fury Black DDR4 2133MHz CL14 PC

WD 3.5" 1TB Caviar Blue SATA 3.0 7200Rpm 64MB Cache hdd

Intel Core i7 7700 Soket 1151 3.6GHz 

MSI B250M BAZOOKA Intel B250 Soket 1151 DDR4 2133MHz USB3.1 Mobo

COOLER MASTER HYPER 212EVO 

Corsair builder vs series 650w

#14 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,166 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2017 - 10:18 AM

The spec of your PC build looks fine on the whole. The Corsair VS series is a budget range, and not one I'd choose for myself, but it should do the job.  The i7 7700 is a good CPU.  See how it compares to the others you mention here - https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare.php?cmp[]=2905&cmp[]=2919&cmp[]=2594

An SSD which has your OS on it will make a big difference to your load times and is will worth getting even if not initially.  An M.2. NVMe SSD is best, but a SATA SSD will still be a big upgrade over a standard HDD.

The Radeon HD 6970 is from 2010 and showing it's age now. A future upgrade to that will improve gaming performance on newer titles.  See https://www.techpowerup.com/gpudb/258/radeon-hd-6970 for how it compares to newer cards.

7sbvuf-6.png

#15 Zone_86

Zone_86

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:41 AM

Posted 15 August 2017 - 03:22 AM

When I posted, there are now another option, i7-7700. So it's pretty good question why there was two options and now there's three.

I said other LGA1151 Intel CPU's are overpriced, crap or both. Those are some of better options but still overpriced and thermal paste under heat spreader alone is big enough reason to call them crap.

Whoa hold on there Guru. So according to this nearly all Intel for the past .. lets say 6 years are overpriced and cheap crap?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users