Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Update Manager

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 frogbreath

frogbreath

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:20 AM

Posted 27 July 2017 - 02:50 AM

I have been wondering how do you know that the updates in Linux mint update manager are safe to install?

Has anything bad ever been listed in it?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Gary R

Gary R

MRU Admin

• Malware Response Team
  • 825 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2017 - 03:52 AM

Essentially you don't know that anything is safe to install.

However, updates are graded as below ....

1. Certified updates. Tested by Romeo or directly maintained by Linux Mint.
  2. Recommended updates. Tested and approved by Linux Mint.
  3. Safe Updates. Not tested but believed to be safe.
  4. Unsafe updates. Could potentially affect the stability of the system.
  5. Dangerous updates. Known to affect the stability of the system dependant on ceertain specs or hardware.

.... and you can tell the Update Manager which grades you want to allow to install.

Usually grades 1-3 do not cause problems for the vast majority of users.

#3 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,013 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:20 AM

Posted 27 July 2017 - 04:33 AM

This is why when first starting with Linux Mint, one's given a choice of update policy, the safest & one gets the updates needed are the middle option (Optimizing Stability & Security). :)

For newbies to Linux Mint, selecting 'Don't Break My Computer' (top option) may also be good, although may not upgrade some software. Security updates are still selected. 

It's best not to select the last that updates everything, as some updates will be applied that doesn't pertain to your hardware (example, AMD drivers on Intel computers & vise versa) & software configuration. Selecting the middle option also shows kernel updates (Level 5), before installing, read the changelog, if it's a low priority, chances are can be skipped, if mid to high priority, there's security updates. Note that there's no promise on older computers that these won't cause something not to function, although have in real life seen this only twice, both times on 10+ year old computers. 

So other than recommended kernel upgrades, as Gary R stated, Level 1 through 3 updates are the safest & these are marked when choosing an update policy. All Linux Mint users are presented with this, beginning with version 18, so there's no way not to see this, also shown when upgrading to a new point release. :)

It's also good to check the Driver Manager for any updates, if there's any, best to install, reboot will be required. 

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#4 frogbreath

frogbreath
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2017 - 05:42 AM

Good info thank you kind sir's  :gathering:

#5 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,889 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2017 - 06:06 AM

Linux mint updates are indeed quite safe, most updates will not break your system nor will viruses be installed.

The package archives are indeed very well maintained on both ends, ubuntus repositories (what mint is usually based on for its core packages) are checked regularly for any bad packages or corrupted data.

The same goes for Mints own repos (mint has its own packages and libraries) sure Mint doesnt have the same resources as Ubuntu but it still gets a good check over.

The "levels" of what Mint uses are really just a guideline 1-3 typically designate the packages one can install without messing up the system.

Level 4 and 5 are a little more intensive as usually kernels and core system libraries can be placed here.

Mint more wants the end user to know that these packages can mess up your system as in the past kernel updates have broken entire systems.

This isnt as common as it used to be but it still happens.

Do kernel updates though, especially security patched kernels.

(the kernel is the core of your system by the way, it acts as a medium between your hardware and software)

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#6 frogbreath

frogbreath
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2017 - 07:37 AM

Thank's bud 

#7 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,889 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2017 - 07:40 AM

You are most welcome, I understand why you would be confused as Mint is pretty much the only linux based system I know does this sort of thing, its very unique in this aspect.

Its not a bad thing mind you as I wish other linux distros would list updates in terms of if they can break your system (arch linux!) or give you a headache (Ubuntu linux!)

Its hand holding yes but nothing to hate really, I always liked mints classification of updates personally.

Edited by MadmanRB, 27 July 2017 - 07:44 AM.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#8 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,275 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:20 AM

Posted 27 July 2017 - 08:15 AM

Hey frogbreath,

Perhaps this will help.

https://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/20

I'm grumpy because I can be not because I'm old.

The world is what you make of it, if it doesn't fit, you make alterations.

Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.  (Mark Twain)

#9 frogbreath

frogbreath
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2017 - 10:54 AM

Very interesting thank you The-Toolman

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users