Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Missing Folder

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Kayman

Kayman

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:05 PM

Posted 13 September 2006 - 09:40 PM

G'day all,

Folder C:\WINDOWS\System32\Drivers\etc was deleted some time ago. Restoration attempts proved unsuccessful. This folder is required for HOSTS files.
I run SFC /scannow but it didn't do anything to rectify the problem.
Please, how can I install or reinstate this missing folder to its original location?

TIA.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Gyro

Gyro

• Members
  • 289 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:05 AM

Posted 13 September 2006 - 11:50 PM

First off... how was that managed to be deleted? Secondly, there are programs that can restore this... but it's possible they may be gone forever, and you may need to reinstall windows...

#3 Kayman

Kayman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2006 - 01:11 AM

1. Type in command line C:\WINDOWS\System32\Drivers\etc , click ok, right-click the folder, click on to 'delete' and voila the entire folder went in to the Recycle Bin. CrapCleaner did the rest :thumbsup:

2. I'm not interested recovering the content (files) of the folder. All I wish to have is a new, fresh folder called ...etc. HOSTS files can then be downloaded automatically from HOSTS Man or similar applications and populate the folder anew with HOSTS files.

3. I tried restoration software (Restoration Version 2.5.14) but without success :flowers:

#4 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:05 AM

Posted 14 September 2006 - 04:39 PM

Ummmm. Can't you just go to:

Start > My Computer > C: > Windows > System32 > Drivers

Then go to:

File > New > Folder

Name this new folder etc

Or am I missing something?
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#5 Gyro

Gyro

• Members
  • 289 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2006 - 06:50 PM

Something not important in the drivers folder of a system 32? Uh... ok yea einstein is right, I guess i just... overcomplicated a simple issue.

#6 Kayman

Kayman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2006 - 07:18 PM

Many thanks, Albert & Gyro.
...File>New>Folder (name etc) fixed my "problem".
Well, I didn't think it was that easy. I am embarrassed and apologies for wasting your time as I should have known better. Sometimes I can't see the forest........too many trees.
With all good wishes,
Kayman.

#7 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2006 - 09:04 AM

No problem, Kayman! Glad to help. Don't be embarassed, or I will be forced to tell of times I missed the obvious and asked for help! :thumbsup:
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#8 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2006 - 10:13 AM

FYI - my folder of the same name has 6 files in it:

HOSTS
HOSTS.MVP
lmhosts.sam
networks
protocol
services

The last 4 are dated with the date of my last installation. The lmhosts.sam file is a security related file for your networking. I believe that the HOSTS.MVP was placed there by the MVPS Hosts file update batch file.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#9 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2006 - 11:01 PM

If you are planning to use the hosts file to block malware or parasites research the proper way to use it thoroughly.

In Windows XP a large HOSTS file (over 135 kb) tends to slow down the computer and, if you are not careful you may block sites you need, such as search engines, your bank, etc.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users