Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop Second RAM slot unusable

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 AdmiralProudmoore

AdmiralProudmoore

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:25 AM

Posted 27 July 2017 - 12:49 AM

A Bit of background that may or may not be directly related with the issue :

My laptop broke around a month ago, with the power supply of the mainboard being the issue. Now it's all well and fine

The Problem

So i was requiring an extra ram for my laptop due to it often running out of RAM (slowing down, etc) and i use many demanding programs on my computer. So after consulting with a friend about the ram, i bought a 4GB DDR3 PC-12800 1600GHz V-GEN ram, which should be compatible with my laptop's ram. When i first installed the ram, i succesfully booted on to windows and i noticed that my extra 4GB of ram went to system reserve instead of working ram. so i toyed with some settings from msconfig, to no avail.

Then i went to System and browsed advanced system settings, and i changed this :

image.png?width=277&height=375

to use custom size and set the max size to 8GB. i forget the default value of this so im scared to change it back

as for msconfig i went to this part :

image.png?width=483&height=375

and set the maximum memory to 8gb, also to no avail..

and suddenly it wont ever boot whenever there is a ram on the second slot.

both ram works, it will not work if a ram is installed on the second slot, no matter in what combinations possible from 2 rams and 2 slots.

I tried cleaning the ram slot with a brush as i do not have an isoprophyl alcohol with me, and since the slot is not reachable with a pencil eraser.

Could this be an issue with the ram slot being dirty, or an aftermath of an unfinished repair on the mainboard psu?

Thanks!

Laptop : Lenovo z50-75 80ec

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users